The Student Room Group

Beautiful people are generally better at life?

What are your opinions on this article? http://www.businessinsider.com/studies-show-the-advantages-of-being-beautiful-2013-6

Do you think it's true that it's important to be beautiful/good looking?

Scroll to see replies

Of course it is! We're all vain like that
Original post by jedanselemyia

It's ok to be ugly but not great
Reply 3
Original post by jedanselemyia

That seems quite sad actually:frown:

Well plastic surgery/make up is always an option so I guess I'm not doomed
Original post by DiceTheSlice
It's ok to be ugly but not great

I know it is :\
Original post by StrawbAri
That seems quite sad actually:frown:

Well plastic surgery/make up is always an option so I guess I'm not doomed

I know right? But everybody can improve their appareance.
Aw don't say that x
People are more willing to accept your personality if you are attractive, this happens pretty instantly as in split second walking down the street seeing someone for the first time sort of encounters and as we are all social creatures that type of instantaneous social acceptance is a large benefit day to day.
Course it is, in-built self confidence that you don't need to search for yourself
Nahhhh it's bs that people think too much about
Reply 9
Haha I honestly thought people would disagree :laugh:
It's nice everyone is being honest.

Original post by StaticVoid
People are more willing to accept your personality if you are attractive, this happens pretty instantly as in split second walking down the street seeing someone for the first time sort of encounters and as we are all social creatures that type of instantaneous social acceptance is a large benefit day to day.

I agree. People don't mind so much if you are a complete bitch if you're attractive. All your personality flaws are completely forgiven.

Original post by Stepidermis
Course it is, in-built self confidence that you don't need to search for yourself

Totally true.
Reply 10
Original post by Yeah dude
Nahhhh it's bs that people think too much about

haha why do you think so?
Looks don't matter to you? I know it sounds shallow but that's how the world is now
It is sad but true. On the other hand there are always exceptions to every rule. Tends to go mostly the other way though... less beautiful people can also be good at life, but beautiful people rarely tend to be bad at life.
Yep beautiful people win when it comes to friendships and relationships as people are immediately attracted to you . Then you just don't need to be a complete plank and people will stick around. So Yh they've got the social aspects of life covered.

In terms of jobs they can flirt their way through things and as long as they are semi-competent their Pervy boss will love them
Reply 13
Original post by Brownclown
Yep beautiful people win when it comes to friendships and relationships as people are immediately attracted to you . Then you just don't need to be a complete plank and people will stick around. So Yh they've got the social aspects of life covered.

In terms of jobs they can flirt their way through things and as long as they are semi-competent their Pervy boss will love them

I read somewhere that attractive males get paid more and if the ceo/boss of a company is attractive the company's brand sells more/does better.
Not sure if true though.

Also people will stick around whether you're a plank or not. People love/are attracted to celebrities no matter how ****ty they behave or how rude they are to fans
Better at life, not necessarily. Do they get an easier ride? Yes.

Although I remember reading an article once that people with symmetrical features tend to be wealthier. On the flip side, people with asymmetrical features tend to be better leaders.
Reply 15
Original post by Swanbow
Better at life, not necessarily. Do they get an easier ride? Yes.

Although I remember reading an article once that people with symmetrical features tend to be wealthier. On the flip side, people with asymmetrical features tend to be better leaders.

really? Do you remember the link?
Its not better at life, just might get more doors open and more opportunities a touch easier than other people. But there are upsides and downsides to it, and there was a discussion talking about the difficulties of people beautiful a while ago on tsr.

But thats just the way life works, we're all human, we all like pretty things.

Like the moon. who doesn't like the moon huh?!?
Original post by StrawbAri
really? Do you remember the link?

It is the number 1 entry on this list. Although you should always take articles from this website with a pinch of salt.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20222_5-personal-things-you-can-tell-just-by-looking-at-someone.html
Reply 18
Original post by Smilin’ Knight
Its not better at life, just might get more doors open and more opportunities a touch easier than other people. But there are upsides and downsides to it, and there was a discussion talking about the difficulties of people beautiful a while ago on tsr.

But thats just the way life works, we're all human, we all like pretty things.

Like the moon. who doesn't like the moon huh?!?

Well the moon is very pretty... :teehee:

There was? Well I'm going to have to find that then.

I understand that bad things can still happen to beautiful people (illness, death of loved ones) but what exactly is a disadvantage of being attractive?
I'm always confused with this sort of thing, I mean people tell me it's about confidence and part of me disagrees with that like this thread, it's all about looks.

But then in mcdonalds a few weeks I saw these couples coming in, the girl looking quite attractive but the guy looks like a complete drug addict who's dying. Saw this countless times.

Quick Reply

Latest