The Student Room Group

Is A Level maths what everyone claims?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arieisit
Been in uni. Obviously. You wouldn't understand as yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the purpose of the debate in difficulty at A-level we are therefore equal then?
Since you're studying a specific degree at a University that requires high grades any people's opinions you've gained since leaving college are highly biased-something a genius such as yourself must understand.
Been in uni. Obviously. You wouldn't understand as yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So why do I get wrong for posting here since I'm in uni, but you're okay to post? Surely you do maths as part of your degree?
Original post by rayquaza17
So why do I get wrong for posting here since I'm in uni, but you're okay to post? Surely you do maths as part of your degree?

I didn't answer the question though. As a mathematician you know far more maths than I do so even that is more reason for you not to post solutions that is supposed to challenge A level students.
Original post by Rbutton
For the purpose of the debate in difficulty at A-level we are therefore equal then?
Since you're studying a specific degree at a University that requires high grades any people's opinions you've gained since leaving college are highly biased-something a genius such as yourself must understand.

What? You're not making any sense? We are not equal in terms of handling hard questions. I know more maths now than I did while I was in a level.

I also never claimed to be genius.
What? You're not making any sense? We are not equal in terms of handling hard questions. I know more maths now than I did while I was in a level.

I also never claimed to be genius.

Read it through again. I never claimed to be able to answer the same questions as you, my debate with you was the fact that you seem to think because certain subjects were easier to that means its the same to everybody - when in fact it is completely subjective.
Original post by Yousf
Exam board? If Edexcel, have you not checked out the c2 paper for 2015. Theres no point even arguing against the diffuclty of that exam compared to previous years, including lasts years.

Btw you have a link to this paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingdomOfTheLord
As someone who does A level Chem I'm gonna have to say you're wrong mate.

f(x) = 2x3 7x2 + 4x + 4 (a) Use the factor theorem to show that (x 2) is a factor of f(x).(2) (b) Factorise f(x) completely.

Do it.

That's easy. Polynomial long division. Sub x=2 thrfr x=2

lol, are you doing the 2015 series?

edexcel have stepped their game, however difficulty is relative and overrated.

As long as you are the best of the cohort then that is all that matters well that and the a stars :P

Which uni are you are at brah?
Original post by cat10
A lot of teachers have been saying A Levels maths is highly respected by a lot of unis, and I was just wondering there's any truth in that? Or do other things (like Sciences) make you look better?

I don't really like maths that much, but I would take it if it would give me an advantage.

I'm thinking of studying English Lit/History at uni if that makes any difference, and going into a career in Law.

As you said you want to go on to study law, I spoke to my sister about her A Level options (she has a Law degree). She did English Lit and Lang (combined), Law, and Government and Politics (and initially Chemistry, but she dropped that), and said that Law and G&P were really beneficial stepping stones for her for starting her Uni course in Law, so maybe you want to look into those subjects if they're offered at the centre you'll be studying at.
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
That's easy. Polynomial long division. Sub x=2 thrfr x=2

lol, are you doing the 2015 series?

edexcel have stepped their game, however difficulty is relative and overrated.

As long as you are the best of the cohort then that is all that matters well that and the a stars :P

Which uni are you are at brah?

I'm at Columbia with S 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm at Columbia with S 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

**** and I am still at Knightley, I knew I should have proof read my paper comparing the wire and the illiad!

give my regards to nate :smug:
Anyway, back to the OP...

Original post by cat10
A lot of teachers have been saying A Levels maths is highly respected by a lot of unis, and I was just wondering there's any truth in that? Or do other things (like Sciences) make you look better?

I don't really like maths that much, but I would take it if it would give me an advantage.

I'm thinking of studying English Lit/History at uni if that makes any difference, and going into a career in Law.

Whether people think it's getting easier or not, maths is respected, further maths even more so. Sciences are also respected, however you don't enjoy maths, so that means you most likely won't put as much time into, which you need to do to at least understand the theories, methods, etc etc.
If you don't enjoy something, don't choose it just to make yourself look better, as you'll probably end up getting average grades. Much better to do something you love and get amazing grades at it. Also considering the fact that you want to do english lit or history at university, you're much better off doing subjects to complement those (as well as english/history, of course! :biggrin:) rather than subjects that are completely unrelated to it just so you can impress them.
In an interview, what would you say if they asked you why you chose maths if you want to study english? Saying 'because it's respected' isn't going to cut it. Doing A Levels unrelated to your desired subject may actually hinder you more than they'll help you.

Just my thoughts.
Original post by httpaisha
As you said you want to go on to study law, I spoke to my sister about her A Level options (she has a Law degree). She did English Lit and Lang (combined), Law, and Government and Politics (and initially Chemistry, but she dropped that), and said that Law and G&P were really beneficial stepping stones for her for starting her Uni course in Law, so maybe you want to look into those subjects if they're offered at the centre you'll be studying at.

Wait wait what, Law A Level was beneficial to someone doing law? All I've heard about A Levels such as Law and Accounting is that they are of no use if you wish to pursue both careers further on, as they give you a false impression of what you need to know for each profession as you can't teach someone fully just as an A Level. Of course that is not out of experience but just what I've heard/read from a variety of sources.
Original post by faux pas
Wait wait what, Law A Level was beneficial to someone doing law? All I've heard about A Levels such as Law and Accounting is that they are of no use if you wish to pursue both careers further on, as they give you a false impression of what you need to know for each profession as you can't teach someone fully just as an A Level. Of course that is not out of experience but just what I've heard/read from a variety of sources.

My history teacher told me the same, but my sister said that it helped her with understanding terminology and basic concepts a lot faster in her Uni course, meaning she could concentrate on the more difficult stuff.
I hate maths so much because you can't really blag it but honestly if I have the effort to practise something a few times it's really simple and easy to apply to any question. Effort is paid off really well, so it isn't necessarily hard, it just requires time
Original post by Brubeckian
Lies, maths is one of the easiest A-levels you can do.

so incredibly amazingly and unbelievably untrue
Original post by easyaspirsquared
so incredibly amazingly and unbelievably untrue

Maths A Level is very easy if you find Maths easy.
math is like a box of chocolates
Original post by louieee
I hate maths so much because you can't really blag it but honestly if I have the effort to practise something a few times it's really simple and easy to apply to any question. Effort is paid off really well, so it isn't necessarily hard, it just requires time

Thanks for agreeing with me 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths is actually the easiest science and still looks great so, you can't really go wrong... If you do chemistry as well, maths will be break in your day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cat10

Its because its the most useful subject there is. i mean compare it to the sciences: you don't need chemistry to do physics or biology but you need maths to do all three. So it is highly respected because no matter what you do in life you will always need it. unless you go to study art or english lit you should def have a maths a level

Quick Reply

Latest