The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm not a girl, but I would consider being in a building full of alcohol and people drinking it on my own dangerous, yes. Hence I never would go into a pub alone except to meet other people in there.
Reply 2
haha had the same conversation with my ex last night

i personally dont like going by myself but thats only because i like to be sociable and have company. he on the other hand goes by himself for a quick pint *such an alcoholic lol*
Reply 3
nah I wouldn't, I'd just feel lame.
Reply 4
thethinkingmansphone
having an arguement with a friend and thought i would get a few opinions- would you (esp girls) consider going to a pub alone? would you regard it as dangerous?

Depends on the pub, and the time of day. I wouldn't have any problem going to my local for lunch or something, but I probably wouldn't wander into some random pub late at night if I was on my own.
Reply 5
I would go to my local pub on my own, as it is a great place to relax... away from the revision books! However, I know that whenever I go there, I know someone in there who I can have a chat with or play a round of pool.
I would argue the point that just because someone goes to the pub alone means they are doing something potentially dangerous. I think that should be decided on whether they go out for one drink or persistantly go out to get lashed and stagger home oblivious.
Reply 6
for a girl very dangerous you never know what will happen even for a male
Reply 7
erm, what's wrong with going to a pub?

I'm unlikely to go alone but that's because i don't particularly feel like going for the sake of it.
Reply 8
Pubs? Dangerous? I don't know where you go but my local is about as dangerous as WHSmiths on a sunday.

I sometimes goto the pub my myself, but only because I know most of the regulars and used to goto school with half the bar staff, so it's not really alone.
Reply 9
go to the local scrapyard. there will be junkies living there. have a drink with them.
Reply 10
I'd go to my local on my own, I know most of the staff and it was my second home growing up!! ( no wonder I like the student bar so much :rolleyes: )
Reply 11
i go into the union bar occasionally during the day to read the paper with a drink, but i don't see the point in the evening. I wouldn't regard it as dangerous, just boring.
Reply 12
generalebriety
I'm not a girl, but I would consider being in a building full of alcohol and people drinking it on my own dangerous, yes. Hence I never would go into a pub alone except to meet other people in there.

Are you being sarcastic? What's dangerous about a pub?

LostRiot
Pubs? Dangerous? I don't know where you go but my local is about as dangerous as WHSmiths on a sunday.

Exactly - my local is probably as dangerous as a day out at the petting zoo.

Anyway, yes, I do go down my local on my own sometimes. When I'm revising I occasionally go down there for lunch, sit with my books out by the fireplace and have a couple of pints. I did go to school with most of the bar staff, and a lot of the time someone else will wander in that I know too.

When I'm waiting for trains and the like, I quite often pop into a pub myself and sit up at the bar having a pint.
Lib North
Are you being sarcastic? What's dangerous about a pub?

To be honest, you haven't seen the pubs round here. During the day maybe, but then I don't think I'd end up in a pub during the day anyway. At night there's always fights going on. Besides which, I'm not a regular so I wouldn't know anyone there - increases the danger factor quite a bit if no one knows you.
Reply 14
Dear me.
Reply 15
Is it just me that's noticed the only people who would consider going to the pub on their own refer to it as "their local"? You people, would you go to a pub other than "your local" on your own?

I wouldn't go to a pub on my own, not because of the danger, just because it'd be boring not knowing anyone. Just as I wouldn't go to the cinema, or a restaurant on my own. I would however pop into the bike shop where I know all of the staff on my own. "My local" if you will!

Let's change the bounds... would you go to a pub where the probability of you knowing someone there was pretty slim on your own..?
Reply 16
Depends on the pub and time of day.
I've happily walked into many a pub in Cumbria after a day out on the hills, on my own except for my dog.
However, would never go into an unknown pub in Sheffield city centre at night.
Reply 17
my friend thinks it'd be a good way to meet people but i worry that the risks outway benefits. not that i've ever met anyone normal in a pub- mad as hatters mostly
Reply 18
Only time I'm on my own in a pub is when I'm waiting for mates to arrive.

I like to have a chat when drinking with people I know, to be honest.
Reply 19
King Leigh
Is it just me that's noticed the only people who would consider going to the pub on their own refer to it as "their local"? You people, would you go to a pub other than "your local" on your own?

I mentioned I often go in to a pub when I'm waiting for a train or something.

Equally I'd go into a village pub other than my local (because of the pleasant surroundings) to have a read of the newspaper if I was bored.

brak3n
I've happily walked into many a pub in Cumbria after a day out on the hills, on my own except for my dog.

Oh, I used to do that quite often when I had my dog - my parents would wonder where I'd gone when I wandered back in after an hour-long walk.

thethinkingmansphone
my friend thinks it'd be a good way to meet people but i worry that the risks outway benefits. not that i've ever met anyone normal in a pub- mad as hatters mostly

That's essentially true. If you were in a city centre bar on a Friday or Saturday you'd be very likely to meet people, I imagine. But there's far more social stigma to doing that alone, so you might not wish to mention the fact that you're there by yourself.

Why not go with your friend? Problem solved!

Latest

Trending

Trending