The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

OU Law or elsewhere?

Hi

I just missed the deadline to sign up and do the LLB degree with the OU. However I have been advised I have enough UCAS points to transfer and automatically go into Year 2 in Feb 08. I have a Certificate of Higher Education in Health Studies which enables me to receive the full 120 points for the free element of the Law Degree.
However I am concerned that I may not be able to handle Level 2 subjects in Law as I have not studied English Law before. Of course I have 1 year in which to study for this but I wondered if maybe courses from London External Program, Holburn College or Nottingham Trent University may be better to ease me into Law. If I go with the OU I would graduate in Feb 2010, which is a big difference to Oct 2010 with the London External Program and Aug 2011 with Holburn College and Nottingham Trent.
What does everyone think is the best way forward for me. I am eager to start my course but really don't know what to do for the best.

Thanks
Reply 1
Summer-Caitlin
Hi

I just missed the deadline to sign up and do the LLB degree with the OU. However I have been advised I have enough UCAS points to transfer and automatically go into Year 2 in Feb 08. I have a Certificate of Higher Education in Health Studies which enables me to receive the full 120 points for the free element of the Law Degree.
However I am concerned that I may not be able to handle Level 2 subjects in Law as I have not studied English Law before. Of course I have 1 year in which to study for this but I wondered if maybe courses from London External Program, Holburn College or Nottingham Trent University may be better to ease me into Law. If I go with the OU I would graduate in Feb 2010, which is a big difference to Oct 2010 with the London External Program and Aug 2011 with Holburn College and Nottingham Trent.
What does everyone think is the best way forward for me. I am eager to start my course but really don't know what to do for the best.

Thanks

That doesn't sound right.

There are four 60 credit modules for the OU's law degree. I think your CertHe is exempting you from the 120 credits worth of non law study that you would normally need to do to get the 360 credits needed for a degree.

So, you are not being exempted from any law study at all and will no doubt start with "Understanding the Law" which is the first of the four and worth 60 credits.

Give them a buzz. I think you've got your knickers in a twist.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
When I spoke to the advisor, she said that I would be exempt from studying Level one courses as I have the 120 points to transfer, however I think I would miss out on not studying the Level one courses as there are a few Law ones I could do. I know they are not compulsory as they are part of the free choice element but as I have never studied English Law I feel I would be better placed to start with a Law course at Level 1.
Reply 3
Summer-Caitlin
When I spoke to the advisor, she said that I would be exempt from studying Level one courses as I have the 120 points to transfer, however I think I would miss out on not studying the Level one courses as there are a few Law ones I could do. I know they are not compulsory as they are part of the free choice element but as I have never studied English Law I feel I would be better placed to start with a Law course at Level 1.

I don't think there are any Level 1 Law courses. They start at level 2 don't they?

Edit: Oh, no - you're right. They now do W100 "Rules, rights and justice: an introduction" That must be a new course. Anyway, I'm sure if you really wanted to you could do that. You may be exempt from Level 1 course but there's nothing to stop you doing a couple if it makes you feel more comfortable and it's not as if the OU is going to refuse to take your money!

Seriously though I'm sure you could cope with Level 2 - The first one W200 "Understanding the Law" is a very basic and gentle introduction - it's not a real killer academically speaking. I did it and I'd never studied law before so I'm sure you could cope.
Reply 4
Hmmm, the course description put me off as it stated it was for people that had some knowledge of the English Legal System, which I don't! I know the OU has a great reputation so I may reconsider this. I was all set to go with the University of London as I know they have a great rep also, pity I don't know where the OU would rank on the University League Tables:s-smilie:
It was between three courses, Holborn College (University of Huddersfield) (4 years)University of London (External Program) and Open University (3 Years)

I could always study between now and Feb 08 and go on and do the W200 course, and that would mean 2 years of study from then. Oh dear, even more to think about now.
Reply 5
What changed your mind about the UoL?
Reply 6
I haven't changed my mind about UoL, I'm just concerned as I hear you kinda get left to it so you likely have to go for extra tuition. I'm about to send off the application to UoL tomorrow so I'm just trying to cover all the bases before I do.

I do like the sound of the Open University too and I would have definately used them if I hadn't missed the cut off date of Feb 07, it was only this that made me look elsewhere. I don't know now, I like the sound of both courses but after reading the UoL prospectus I'm concerned about being left to it....
Reply 7
Summer-Caitlin
Hmmm, the course description put me off as it stated it was for people that had some knowledge of the English Legal System, which I don't! I know the OU has a great reputation so I may reconsider this. I was all set to go with the University of London as I know they have a great rep also, pity I don't know where the OU would rank on the University League Tables:s-smilie:
It was between three courses, Holborn College (University of Huddersfield) (4 years)University of London (External Program) and Open University (3 Years)

I could always study between now and Feb 08 and go on and do the W200 course, and that would mean 2 years of study from then. Oh dear, even more to think about now.

The W200 course description reads "You are not expected to have studied law before.........." I think you'd be pushing it to complete the degree in three years. There are four courses and I reckon on a year each assuming you are working as well that is.

Latest