The Student Room Group

One year left of uni and stressing about graduating

Seriously, what do people do when they leave uni?

Bit of a background, I had a miserable childhood. I was pretty much an outcast from midway through primary school until I finished with state education. It was my own fault for being socially awkward but it started when I was like 7 so I didn't know how to fit in and once you're trapped in that hole it's very difficult to fit back in.

Fast forward to 2012, I go off to university still quite socially awkward, and I had a lot of trouble making friends to begin with, however living away from home made me grow up a lot and over the course of my first year I came out of my shell a lot, made some good friendships, had the time of my life and for the first time in many years was genuinely happy with who I was.

Second year was a bit of a disaster because I was still trying to live like a fresher when doing a really tough course, ended up failing three of my four modules because I missed a lot of classes and barely bothered revising for exams, eventually got kinda depressed with my course and was tempted to chuck it but was only stopped from doing so by the fear that I'd have to move back home and go back to my old way of life. Second semester I got my head down - but still allowed myself to enjoy a decent social life - my grades more than doubled, and then I went back in summer to resit the failed modules, passing with flying colours and earning an acknowledgement from the departmental board for my much improved attitude and effort.

Third year and the first one that counts towards my degree, I continued my attitude from christmas year 2 onwards and am on track for a 2:1 and still enjoying life to the fullest. However recently I've been struck by the realisation that this time next year, uni is gone and I have to enter the real world. Being a student is pretty much the only thing I've ever enjoyed in life and it's going to be taken from me in 12 months time. I don't feel anywhere near ready for a "real job" and would like to find something I enjoy doing (perhaps abroad) as I'll still only be 21 when I graduate. Ideally I'd like to see the world a bit before settling into a real job when I'm in my mid twenties. By the way I study Actuarial Science.

If anyone's gotten this far I'd appreciate any musings :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Go traveling for a year, take some time out if you feel not ready for a job. Consider postgraduate study to remain as a student for another year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by lozzielizzie
Go traveling for a year, take some time out if you feel not ready for a job. Consider postgraduate study to remain as a student for another year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd love to go travelling but don't have any funds, I'd fancy working abroad to be honest, but not sure what to do.
Original post by Bronco2012
I'd love to go travelling but don't have any funds, I'd fancy working abroad to be honest, but not sure what to do.

see if you can get a temporary job in a shop or something to fund it for a few months after uni.
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
see if you can get a temporary job in a shop or something to fund it for a few months after uni.

I actually already work at a shop so I could probably just try and get some extra hours for a few months :smile:
Reply 5
I was in a somewhat similar situation to you a few years back: hadn't had the best social experience at school, climbed out of my shell during university, managed to get decent grades but didn't have the foggiest about what I wanted to do after graduation.

I felt quite bad about this, I think the saddest thing about the time we live in is that everything is so bloody career orientated. You can't just sit back and enjoy three years of learning and discussion, it all has to help you pursue some kind of goal! A number of my friends lusted after grad schemes. For various reasons including apathy, a ****ty CV and a desire to do something slightly different I didn't. After graduating I got myself a job working in a school as an unqualified teacher. For a while I thought I wanted to jump straight into teacher training, but upon reflection, a few months later I decided I wanted to get a bit more clever and study some more. I applied for a History MA at UCL which I am due to begin in October.

I suppose the point I want to make is that it's really difficult to plan ahead. You are a year away from graduation and in that time you don't know what your priorities will be, what you will be doing or where you will be going. Go with the flow, and in the mean time seek out volunteering, internships or work which could help boost your CV. Also, use the time you have over the summer to research graduate pathways and perhaps find jobs which you'd be interested. This will hopefully make you feel more confident about the months and years ahead.
If you love being a student just study for a masters and then a PHD lol, then youll be either 23 or 24 when you leave Uni. You'll probably also get a great job if you can get a PhD.

Failing that... Welcome to the real world of Monday-Friday soul selling

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by lewif002
If you love being a student just study for a masters and then a PHD lol, then youll be either 23 or 24 when you leave Uni. You'll probably also get a great job if you can get a PhD.

Failing that... Welcome to the real world of Monday-Friday soul selling

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't think I could afford to do a masters, I'm definitely not clever enough for a PHD

I feel like I might want to travel the world making money as I go rather than working in some office and getting the train in from Croydon everyday. Might mean I make less money but I'm all about looking after #1 and not necessarily in a financial sense.
Original post by Bronco2012
Seriously, what do people do when they leave uni?

Bit of a background, I had a miserable childhood. I was pretty much an outcast from midway through primary school until I finished with state education. It was my own fault for being socially awkward but it started when I was like 7 so I didn't know how to fit in and once you're trapped in that hole it's very difficult to fit back in.

Fast forward to 2012, I go off to university still quite socially awkward, and I had a lot of trouble making friends to begin with, however living away from home made me grow up a lot and over the course of my first year I came out of my shell a lot, made some good friendships, had the time of my life and for the first time in many years was genuinely happy with who I was.

Second year was a bit of a disaster because I was still trying to live like a fresher when doing a really tough course, ended up failing three of my four modules because I missed a lot of classes and barely bothered revising for exams, eventually got kinda depressed with my course and was tempted to chuck it but was only stopped from doing so by the fear that I'd have to move back home and go back to my old way of life. Second semester I got my head down - but still allowed myself to enjoy a decent social life - my grades more than doubled, and then I went back in summer to resit the failed modules, passing with flying colours and earning an acknowledgement from the departmental board for my much improved attitude and effort.

Third year and the first one that counts towards my degree, I continued my attitude from christmas year 2 onwards and am on track for a 2:1 and still enjoying life to the fullest. However recently I've been struck by the realisation that this time next year, uni is gone and I have to enter the real world. Being a student is pretty much the only thing I've ever enjoyed in life and it's going to be taken from me in 12 months time. I don't feel anywhere near ready for a "real job" and would like to find something I enjoy doing (perhaps abroad) as I'll still only be 21 when I graduate. Ideally I'd like to see the world a bit before settling into a real job when I'm in my mid twenties. By the way I study Actuarial Science.

If anyone's gotten this far I'd appreciate any musings :smile:

The way I see it you have a couple of options

1) stay a student and do a Masters (It is hard work you may have to work even harder than you do now.)

2)Travel go out to places like Thailand or Mexico(places with cheap cost of living) or go on a work program either teaching or building houses or just do casual work as it's needed you could also consider camp america.

I know it's not much but I hope i helped atlas a little bit
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi Bronco2012

Traveling sounds like a great idea, it's probably the best way to increases your knowledge and widen your perspective. Meeting new people, seeing different cultures and customs will help you change or create new habits! You mentioned that you don't have funds for travelling - have you thought about volunteering? It might also be worth working for a little while after your graduation to save some money for your travels.

As others have already mentioned, you can also do a Masters degree.

Finally, you still have one year left of uni so try to enjoy it as much as you can, without stressing too much about what happens after graduation :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending