The Student Room Group

Year 9 Summer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loki123456
What job do u think u want to do in the future? You should consider this in your GCSE choices

To be honest I've said I've wanted to do pretty much every career but I'd like something to do with criminals or in the UN but I'm going to do A levels in which subjects I enjoy or am good at then consider doing a degree in one and see if any of the jobs related to that I'd enjoy:smile:
I did want to be a producer but all my family expect me to go uni and do some boring job so that's out the window

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Sorry if u already learn this. I also have rules from Conditional to Perfect Subjunctive. I just copied and pasted these notes from my notes in word

Will I use conditional or perfect subjunctive at gcse? If yeah then Id appreciate it if you could send then to me please, thanks:smile:
Original post by bellchez
Will I use conditional or perfect subjunctive at gcse? If yeah then Id appreciate it if you could send then to me please, thanks:smile:

Tenses you will need to know for GCSE French:

Present (u must know) (C or above)
Perfect (fancy name for Past) (u must know) (C or above)
Future (u must know) (C or above)
N. Future (u must know, really easy) (C or above)
Imperfect (u should know it, quite hard to begin with) (B or above)
Conditional (u should know it, combination of future and imperfect) (B or above)
Pluperfect (A or A* stuff, combination of perfect and imperfect)
Present Subjunctive (A* stuff, personally find this easier to use than Pluperfect, really useful
----------------------------------------------------------------
A* and beyond tenses (don't have to use it to get an A*):
Perfect Conditional (hard to use in context unless in 'Si' structures)
Perfect Subjunctive (very difficult and rare to use)

IMO, Reading and Listening papers mainly use to up to do Conditional tense (sometimes the other tenses).

In you writing, if u use Present to N.Future with basic, predictable vocab you would get a C.

If u use Present to Conditional with basic vocab & sentence structures you would get a B

If u use Present to Conditional with amazing vocab (or Present to Pluperfect with quite creative vocab) , sentence structures, idioms in context = A or A*

U have to know time connectives

HOWEVER, your writing has to make sense and not sound random (main reason why I am a top A in French writing not an A*)

Tenses Rules (these will only make sense once you memorised from Present to N.Future):

Imperfect: (I used to ....)

1st step: conjugate your verb in the present tense with 'Nous'

finir: take away ir and put issons

finissons

2nd step : take away 'ons'

finiss

3rd: add imperfect endings

Je (I) + ais finiss + ais = Je finissais (I used to finish)
Tu (you) + ais finiss + ais = Tu finissais (You used to finish)
Elle/Il/On (She/He/We) + ait finiss + ait = Elle/Il/On finissait (She/He/We used to finish
Nous (We) + ions finiss + issons = finissions (We used to finish)
Vous (They) + iez finiss + iez = finissiez (They used to finish)
Elles/Ils (They (f)/They (m) ) + aient finiss + aient = finissaient (They (m)/ They (f) used to finish)

Note: This tense will take some time to understand

Conditional: (I would ....)

Future Stem + Imperfect Endings

e.g. I would finish

finir - to finish

Future stem: finir + ais (imperfect ending for Je) = finirais

e.g. etudier - to learn/ study

Future stem: etudier + ais (imperfect ending for Je) = etudierais

Note: there is an accent on the first 'e' on 'etudier'

e.g. boire - to drink

Future stem: boir + ais (imperfect ending for Je) = boirais

Present Subjunctive:

Je __________ que (that) ____________
(present) (subjunctive)

I believe that They (m&f) love science ...............

croire - to believe (an irregular verb)

croire - comes crois in present tense when we are using 'I'

Je crois que __________

adore is conjugated in the subjunctive tense:

Subjunctive:

1st step: Conjugate your verb in the present tense in the form of 'Ils/Elles'

adorer is an -er verb
take away er + ent: adorent

2nd step: take away 'ent'

ador- (this is the subjunctive stem)

3rd step:

Add these endings:

Je = + e J'adore
Tu = + es Tu adores
Elle/Il/On = + e Elle adore
Nous = + ions Nous adorions
Vous = + iez Vous adoriez
Elles/Ils = + ent Elles adorent

Sentence: Je crois que Elle adoriez les sciences parce que ....

Pluperfect:
Used to describe an action that happened before an action.
e.g. When I arrived at the cinema, she already bought me a packet of chocolate

1. Form the imperfect of 'avoir' with whatever personal pronoun you want to use

2. Conjugate your verb in the past tense

Imperfect of avoir (for a non MRS VANDETRAMP verb) or etre (for a MRS VANDETRAMP verb):

Avoir and etre are irregular verbs

avoir in the present tense in the form of Nous - ons + endings

Nous avons - ons = av + ais = avais

J'avais
Tu avais
Elle avait
Nous avions
Vous aviez
Elles avaient

For the imperfect of etre: take -re and add imperfect endings

J'etais
Tu etais
Elle etait
Nous etions
Vous etiez
Elles etaient

Note: there is an accent in the first 'e' in 'etre'

Examples of conjugations:
J'avais mange (e with an accent)

J'etais fini

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Perfect Conditional:frown:I would have ....)

1. Conditional of 'avoir' or 'etre'

Conditional of avoir:

Future stem of avoir + imperfect endings
aur + ais = aurais
J'aurais
Tu aurais
Elle aurait
Nous aurions
Vous auriez
Elles auraient

Conditional of etre:

Future stem of etre + imperfect endings
ser - + ais = serais

Je serais
Tu serais
Elle/Il/On serait
Nous serions
Vous seriez
Elles/Ils seraient

2nd: Conjugate verb in perfect tense

J'aurais mange (with an accent)
J'serais arrive (with an accent)

Perfect Subjunctive:

1st step: Subjunctive of avoir and etre

Subjunctive of avoir:

Je = aie
Tu = aies
Elle/Il/On = ait
Nous = ayons
Vous = ayez
Elles/Ils = aient

Subjunctive of etre:
Je = sois
Tu = sois
Elle/Il/On = soit
Nous = soyons
Vous = soyez
Elles/Ils = soient

2nd step: Perfect conjugation of verb

Examples:
J'aie mange (with an accent)
Je sois arrive (with an accent)
mate GCSE'S are bloody easy, you don't need to get so stressed about them lol
Here are some other stuff u will need as well other than Tenses. BTW, how much French do you know because if you're person who has never done French before, this will all be overwhelming. However, if you have learnt French for a good solid few years and established a solid foundation - decent vocab and memorization of the Present, Past, Future and Near Future, this should feel like a natural progression.

BTW, I am also in Year 9 as well and in the school I was in Year 7 and Year 8 only taught me creative vocab (e.g. les oignons crus) but no tenses. When I started Year 9, I was overwhelmed by the first 4 tenses (didn't bother learning them for 6 months lol) . However, when I got myself to memorize the first 5 tenses ; French became so enjoyable because the rest of the tenses are mainly combinations of the 1st 5. The reason why people love Spanish (more easier to pronounce) is that it's easy to begin but when it gets really hard (when it comes to trying to get A to A*s in GCSEs), I have seen many people in my school start to lose interest.

May u please tell me where u French is at so I can at least make sure I set u off in the right direction in the summer because it's about making sure u make progress at your own pace so u understand exactly what's going on. If u ever have any questions, u can always reply to me and I will always be there to help u.
(edited 8 years ago)
Also, there are a list of 15 irregular verbs which I will also upload later

Finally, time connectives: https://quizlet.com/_165545
(edited 8 years ago)
Tenses you will need to know for GCSE French:

Present (u must know) (C or above)
Perfect (fancy name for Past) (u must know) (C or above)
Future (u must know) (C or above)
N. Future (u must know, really easy) (C or above)
Imperfect (u should know it, quite hard to begin with) (B or above)
Conditional (u should know it, combination of future and imperfect) (B or above)
Pluperfect (A or A* stuff, combination of perfect and imperfect)
Present Subjunctive (A* stuff, personally find this easier to use than Pluperfect, really useful
----------------------------------------------------------------
A* and beyond tenses (don't have to use it to get an A*):
Perfect Conditional (hard to use in context unless in 'Si' structures)
Perfect Subjunctive (very difficult and rare to use)

IMO, Reading and Listening papers mainly use to up to do Conditional tense (sometimes the other tenses).

In you writing, if u use Present to N.Future with basic, predictable vocab you would get a C.

If u use Present to Conditional with basic vocab & sentence structures you would get a B

If u use Present to Conditional with amazing vocab (or Present to Pluperfect with quite creative vocab) , sentence structures, idioms in context = A or A*

U have to know time connectives

HOWEVER, your writing has to make sense and not sound random (main reason why I am a top A in French writing not an A*)

Tenses Rules (these will only make sense once you memorised from Present to N.Future):

Imperfect: (I used to ....)

1st step: conjugate your verb in the present tense with 'Nous'

finir: take away ir and put issons

finissons

2nd step : take away 'ons'

finiss

3rd: add imperfect endings

Je (I) + ais finiss + ais = Je finissais (I used to finish)
Tu (you) + ais finiss + ais = Tu finissais (You used to finish)
Elle/Il/On (She/He/We) + ait finiss + ait = Elle/Il/On finissait (She/He/We used to finish
Nous (We) + ions finiss + issons = finissions (We used to finish)
Vous (They) + iez finiss + iez = finissiez (They used to finish)
Elles/Ils (They (f)/They (m) ) + aient finiss + aient = finissaient (They (m)/ They (f) used to finish)

Note: This tense will take some time to understand

Conditional: (I would ....)

Future Stem + Imperfect Endings

e.g. I would finish

finir - to finish

Future stem: finir + ais (imperfect ending for Je) = finirais

e.g. etudier - to learn/ study

Future stem: etudier + ais (imperfect ending for Je) = etudierais

Note: there is an accent on the first 'e' on 'etudier'

e.g. boire - to drink

Future stem: boir + ais (imperfect ending for Je) = boirais

Present Subjunctive:

Je __________ que (that) ____________
(present) (subjunctive)

I believe that They (m&f) love science ...............

croire - to believe (an irregular verb)

croire - comes crois in present tense when we are using 'I'

Je crois que __________

adore is conjugated in the subjunctive tense:

Subjunctive:

1st step: Conjugate your verb in the present tense in the form of 'Ils/Elles'

adorer is an -er verb
take away er + ent: adorent

2nd step: take away 'ent'

ador- (this is the subjunctive stem)

3rd step:

Add these endings:

Je = + e J'adore
Tu = + es Tu adores
Elle/Il/On = + e Elle adore
Nous = + ions Nous adorions
Vous = + iez Vous adoriez
Elles/Ils = + ent Elles adorent

Sentence: Je crois que Elle adoriez les sciences parce que ....

Pluperfect:
Used to describe an action that happened before an action.
e.g. When I arrived at the cinema, she already bought me a packet of chocolate

1. Form the imperfect of 'avoir' with whatever personal pronoun you want to use

2. Conjugate your verb in the past tense

Imperfect of avoir (for a non MRS VANDETRAMP verb) or etre (for a MRS VANDETRAMP verb):

Avoir and etre are irregular verbs

avoir in the present tense in the form of Nous - ons + endings

Nous avons - ons = av + ais = avais

J'avais
Tu avais
Elle avait
Nous avions
Vous aviez
Elles avaient

For the imperfect of etre: take -re and add imperfect endings

J'etais
Tu etais
Elle etait
Nous etions
Vous etiez
Elles etaient

Note: there is an accent in the first 'e' in 'etre'

Examples of conjugations:
J'avais mange (e with an accent)

J'etais fini

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Perfect Conditional:frown:I would have ....)

1. Conditional of 'avoir' or 'etre'

Conditional of avoir:

Future stem of avoir + imperfect endings
aur + ais = aurais
J'aurais
Tu aurais
Elle aurait
Nous aurions
Vous auriez
Elles auraient

Conditional of etre:

Future stem of etre + imperfect endings
ser - + ais = serais

Je serais
Tu serais
Elle/Il/On serait
Nous serions
Vous seriez
Elles/Ils seraient

2nd: Conjugate verb in perfect tense

J'aurais mange (with an accent)
J'serais arrive (with an accent)

Perfect Subjunctive:

1st step: Subjunctive of avoir and etre

Subjunctive of avoir:

Je = aie
Tu = aies
Elle/Il/On = ait
Nous = ayons
Vous = ayez
Elles/Ils = aient

Subjunctive of etre:
Je = sois
Tu = sois
Elle/Il/On = soit
Nous = soyons
Vous = soyez
Elles/Ils = soient

2nd step: Perfect conjugation of verb

Examples:
J'aie mange (with an accent)
Je sois arrive (with an accent)

Sorry I haven't had chance to reply properly yet but thanks so much for all this and in response to your post after this, I've done three years of french but we have each year split between german and Spanish so I know present solid, I have done perfect, imperfect and future but I can't completely remember them, where you've put "J'etais fini" I thought that was the perfect tense? So I know those three tenses and the near future aswell i think if i can just refresh my memory but the rest are completely new!:smile: Did you teach yourself all the tenses?
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry I haven't had chance to reply properly yet but thanks so much for all this and in response to your post after this, I've done three years of french but we have each year split between german and Spanish so I know present solid, I have done perfect, imperfect and future but I can't completely remember them, where you've put "J'etais fini" I thought that was the perfect tense? So I know those three tenses and the near future aswell i think if i can just refresh my memory but the rest are completely new!:smile: Did you teach yourself all the tenses?

fini- is how you conjugate finir in the perfect tense.
My teacher taught me up to the Conditional Tense and then I just learnt the rest because it was just a combination of what I have done before. It's important you can conjugate perfect, imperfect and future verbs without any help at all before you can deal with the other tenses because the Conditional (Future + Imperfect) , Pluperfect (Imperfect + Perfect) will be really hard if u don't know your Future, Perfect and Imperfect inside out.

Also, how much vocab do u know?

Are u doing GCSE or IGCSE French?
fini- is how you conjugate finir in the perfect tense.
My teacher taught me up to the Conditional Tense and then I just learnt the rest because it was just a combination of what I have done before. It's important you can conjugate perfect, imperfect and future verbs without any help at all before you can deal with the other tenses because the Conditional (Future + Imperfect) , Pluperfect (Imperfect + Perfect) will be really hard if u don't know your Future, Perfect and Imperfect inside out.

Also, how much vocab do u know?

Are u doing GCSE or IGCSE French?

I've practised perfect and future today so I know them well now and I'll go over imperfect, I'm doing GCSE. I'm not sure about vocab I don't think I know much because I've only ever used the ones we've been taught like film types and stuff and we've been allowed to use dicionaries in assessments so I don't know much from memory

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
You're in Year 9 and want to pre-revise? That's crazy! Plus you'll have forgotten everything by the time your GCSEs come around, so you'll have to do the same work anyway. Just relax and have fun this summer - you have 7 more years of exams ahead of you, relax while you can!
And as for this French stuff, you really don't need to learn all this to get an A*. It's overkill. I'm in my final year of doing French at uni and have only just mastered some of the harder grammatical stuff cos it just doesn't come up that often - and I was always a fairly good student at school.
Reply 31
So this september I will start year 10, and my GCSEs, I'm not sure whether during the summer I should be looking over the lessons and specifications I'll be doing for my GCSEs so I understand everything better when we do it in class, because I'm aiming for as many A*s as possible, or doing absolutely nothing because it'll be pretty much the last holiday where I have no exams to stress over. What's better?
I sound like such a stress head, but I am, not gonna deny it
Thankss:smile:)

Do nothing. That was my attitude until the last week before my first GCSE exam and I got all As and Bs. You can literally do them with your eyes closed, don't let anybody stress you out about them or tell you they're hard. They're not.
Mind you the specs are changing now, so I don't know.
Begin studying for your GCSEs four months before the exam, a couple hours after school each day. You will ace your tests.

2 years is just an excuse to keep the children in one place until the afternoon.
What job do u think u want to do in the future? You should consider this in your GCSE choices

Really? It doesn't really make a difference what gcses you did at that point. I thought it did too when I was in year 9 but it really does not matter in hindsight. No one cares if you took geography instead of history for gcse or whatever.

And @bellchez : MODERATION! Don't burn out before you even reach year 11! You're only in year 9 - sure, do some french practise or whatever, but don't do overkill. There's no need. At this point, go enjoy some extra curricular activities - they're just as important in the long run. :smile:
Stress this early isn't healthy.
Original post by yabbayabba
And as for this French stuff, you really don't need to learn all this to get an A*. It's overkill. I'm in my final year of doing French at uni and have only just mastered some of the harder grammatical stuff cos it just doesn't come up that often - and I was always a fairly good student at school.

I specifically typed 'Present to the Conditional with amazing vocab, sentence structures and idioms in context' would probably be an A*'

or 'Present to Pluperfect (just one extra tense) with quite creative vocab, sentence structures and idioms would probably be an A*.

I didn't type you have to have to know the Subjunctive, Perfect Subjunctive, Perfect Conditional and even the Pluperfect for GCSE because GCSE examiners will judge your piece on it's own. Also, in GCSE textbooks the grammar sections go from Present to Pluperfect (well at least for Edexcel)

My teacher says that's all the grammar I would ever need to know for IB French SL (past ancient is also needed for HL) and IB does have quite a reputation for doing much of the first year in uni.
I specifically typed 'Present to the Conditional with amazing vocab, sentence structures and idioms in context' would probably be an A*'

or 'Present to Pluperfect (just one extra tense) with quite creative vocab, sentence structures and idioms would probably be an A*.

I didn't type you have to have to know the Subjunctive, Perfect Subjunctive, Perfect Conditional and even the Pluperfect for GCSE because GCSE examiners will judge your piece on it's own. Also, in GCSE textbooks the grammar sections go from Present to Pluperfect (well at least for Edexcel)

My teacher says that's all the grammar I would ever need to know for IB French SL (past ancient is also needed for HL) and IB does have quite a reputation for doing much of the first year in uni.

By providing all this information to a student who hasn't even started the French GCSE course, you're implying this is the sort of stuff he or she needs to learn to get an A*, which isn't the case. For GCSE you need the present, passé composé, one or two examples of the basic imperfect (just avoir and être) and to give one example of basic conditional (avoir or être), a few adjectives and other basic vocabulary about what hobbies you like to do - not much more.

You don't need idioms at all, not even at A-Level. You don't need amazing vocab or structures. You need basic structures. GCSE is meant to be a basic course building the foundations of language learning.

Have you even taken GCSE French or any GCSEs for that matter?

It's irresponsible to advise somebody when you yourself have absolutely no idea.
Original post by yabbayabba
By providing all this information to a student who hasn't even started the French GCSE course, you're implying this is the sort of stuff he or she needs to learn to get an A*, which isn't the case. For GCSE you need the present, passé composé, one or two examples of the basic imperfect (just avoir and être) and to give one example of basic conditional (avoir or être), a few adjectives and other basic vocabulary about what hobbies you like to do - not much more.

You don't need idioms at all, not even at A-Level. You don't need amazing vocab or structures. You need basic structures. GCSE is meant to be a basic course building the foundations of language learning.

Have you even taken GCSE French or any GCSEs for that matter?

It's irresponsible to advise somebody when you yourself have absolutely no idea.

Nice try on trying to insult me 'any GCSEs for that matter'. I have done Edexcel GCSE Chinese in Year 8 as a non-native speaker and I got an A*. Chinese doesn't even have tenses (we use time connectives to show what time frame we're talking about) & it's a completely different language compared to French . D'ailleurs, if u are in uni you must have done your GCSE about 4 to 8 years ago so GCSEs have probably changed. Also, u might have done it in a different exam board as I did Edexcel for Chinese and doing Edexcel for French.

Also, the Edexcel GCSE French textbook goes up to the Pluperfect. I have read some samples of AQA GCSE French and all the A and A* work seem to have at least 5 tenses in them with good sentence structures (are u implying u don't need the future?). Also, my teacher agrees with me as my teacher said that she teaches up to Present Subjunctive for GCSE French and makes it clear to students they don't have to use the Pluperfect or the Present Subjunctive for GCSE to get an A*. I was also shown writing tasks for each grade and using just 4 tenses and basic vocab with basic adjectives merits C or at the highest B grade work.
(edited 8 years ago)
Make sure to get the balance right - that's what it's really about. Do some work every day to get ahead. You don't have to know everything, but just ensure that you have a good understanding of the basics of each subject you are taking. For example, if you're dong History, you don't have to have perfected 10-mark essay answers by September, but just read lots around the subjects you're doing so when you start you're a bit better prepared than others.

Don't stress about work though, just do a couple of hours every day and make the most of this summer as it's not going to be so stress-free!

My main advice would just be to keep on top of everything right from the beginning so come exam time you'll be way less anxious.

Good Luck for everything, I'm sure you'll do very well.
I've practised perfect and future today so I know them well now and I'll go over imperfect, I'm doing GCSE. I'm not sure about vocab I don't think I know much because I've only ever used the ones we've been taught like film types and stuff and we've been allowed to use dicionaries in assessments so I don't know much from memory

Posted from TSR Mobile

Film types are quite a unique piece of vocab to have I must admit. Perhaps, it will make sure that if you describe a visit to the cinema, it will be interesting to read. GCSE French has controlled assessment writing tasks but different teachers seem to give different levels of help but they will the exam board how much help they have given you. Controlled Assessments allow u to chose a topic you want to write about and your teacher would be able to at least draft it for you once (that's what my Chinese teacher did). Then you are allowed to bring in 50 words into the exam and you have like an hour to write you writing task down. You won't be allowed a dictionary however but there is little point memorising vocab unless u have a fantastic long-term memory.

Once you have mastered the imperfect (I mean being able to tell someone how to conjugate verbs off the top of your head), then you should try out the conditional and let me know how you are doing.

Well done on recapping the perfect and future today and good luck.
Original post by Banana00
Make sure to get the balance right - that's what it's really about. Do some work every day to get ahead. You don't have to know everything, but just ensure that you have a good understanding of the basics of each subject you are taking. For example, if you're dong History, you don't have to have perfected 10-mark essay answers by September, but just read lots around the subjects you're doing so when you start you're a bit better prepared than others.

Don't stress about work though, just do a couple of hours every day and make the most of this summer as it's not going to be so stress-free!

My main advice would just be to keep on top of everything right from the beginning so come exam time you'll be way less anxious.

Good Luck for everything, I'm sure you'll do very well.

Thank you , that's what I plan to do, not like stressing or 'revising' but just looking into what we're learning about when I get the time:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending