The Student Room Group

How do I prepare for Year 10?

Hello everyone, I've just finished Year 9
I need some tips on how to prepare for Year 10, because in Year 9 i wasn't consistent and I didn't make the progress i was expected to make.
Please help me prepare for year 10, I hope everyone has a good summer.
congrats! I have just finished year 10. I can tell you that it is important to review what you have learnt in year 9 especialy in sciences : chemistry, physics and biology and also review maths... practice some maths problems. Also I would encourage you to read and study some of the topics you will cover in year 10 so you have a head start. Also research the optional gcses you have chosen.Look at what you will cover...

Have a great summer... feel free to dm me if you have any questions on year 10
I have just finished year 10. I would advise giving yourself a break this holiday because you won't be able anymore. The teachers should help you catch up if need be but I am sure you will be ok. I didn't do any work in the year 9 summer holidays and I have been fine!
My entirety of Year 10 was a waste of time, mainly because my classes had a lot of disruption. But I still wish that I had done revision etc since we still haven't finished the syllabus, I believe revision in class is supposed to happen in January when I'm in Year 11, anyway I am gonna try to self-teach myself this holiday and revise so that I have the upper edge in Year 11.
Original post by SBizzy
I need some tips on how to prepare for Year 10, because in Year 9 i wasn't consistent and I didn't make the progress i was expected to make.

I would advise you to try and relax this summer, so that you have the energy to work hard next year. I have just finished year 11 and I really wish that I had done revision notes, flashcards, essay plans etc. right from the beginning of year 10, rather than leaving it all until after February half term in year 11.

If you really want to do something then you could read your English literature texts that you will be studying (if you know what they will be), and perhaps go over topics from the sciences, and maths. However my biggest piece of advice would definitely be to start making revision resources right from the beginning, I definitely think it would make year 11 less stressful!

Good luck:smile:
I think the best thing to do to prepare for year 10 is CONSOLIDATING YEAR 9 CONTENT.

Once you begin year 10, there's a big rush to make sure you learn all the new content in time for exams and there's loads to learn. This means we never really have time to go over what we did in Year 9 and this part of work is the most essential because that's really where you learn the core content.

Also, once year 10 starts, you want to have created flashcards, mind maps, notes and other revision resources for your Year 9 content and make sure that as you're going through Year 10, you're creating these resources so that you can focus on revision once mocks and actual GCSEs begin.

Further, make sure you have your motivation set i.e. have a board of the grades you would like to achieve and make a mantra for yourself. This should keep you going and make sure to RELAX this summer because once you start Year 10, it becomes really intense and you have to keep running at a quick pace.

The fact that you're looking for ways to prepare tells me you're already set on the right track and I have high hopes for you. Best of luck and I hope it all works out well for you in the end.

Have a good summer and make sure you DO NOT WORRY AT ALL :smile:.
Reply 6
Original post by SBizzy

same xx good luck to us

Quick Reply

Latest