The Student Room Group

Can I get 3* at A level in 6 months?

Hi, I'm thinking of getting back in to education and applying for uni next year but that would mean I'd have to resit English and Maths GCSE and do 3 A Levels of Maths, Further Maths and maybe even Computer Science all by next May/June, is that possible for me to learn and excel at A* Level by next summer or am I being unrealistic and should do it in the summer of 2025?
Reply 1
Possible - sure. If you already had a very strong level of maths. Perhaps from an overseas education or had studied these a couple of years ago and dropped out before the exams.

Starting from GCSE level with no additional foundation? No. Especially so if you have to resit GCSE maths which would indicate that you were not blitzing a top grade.
Original post by ajj2000
Possible - sure. If you already had a very strong level of maths. Perhaps from an overseas education or had studied these a couple of years ago and dropped out before the exams.

Starting from GCSE level with no additional foundation? No. Especially so if you have to resit GCSE maths which would indicate that you were not blitzing a top grade.

I got a C 8 years ago with little revision and effort? I'm trying to get back in to it and fast track
Reply 3
Original post by maturestudent09
I got a C 8 years ago with little revision and effort? I'm trying to get back in to it and fast track

I'd imagine it would take 2 months of hard study even with a great tutor to have any hope of getting to grade 9 GCSE level? Dont know - I wonder if anyone who has done so could advise.
Reply 4
People spend about 5 years of almost daily learning in school to be able to achieve those grades at GCSE & A-Level. To be able to come to the same result in a matter of 6 months? Not impossible, but say goodbye to free time. And even then you may still not get the result you wanted. Unless you are exceptionally bright and willing to put in a huge amount of effort, I am very sceptical, but again it is possible if you are willing to put in a LOT amount of work. In my opinion, it's probably unrealistic, and it's maybe a better idea to do it in the summer of 2025 as you said in your post. Even that will take a lot of effort. Good luck with whatever you choose though :smile:.
Original post by maturestudent09
Hi, I'm thinking of getting back in to education and applying for uni next year but that would mean I'd have to resit English and Maths GCSE and do 3 A Levels of Maths, Further Maths and maybe even Computer Science all by next May/June, is that possible for me to learn and excel at A* Level by next summer or am I being unrealistic and should do it in the summer of 2025?

As a current sixth form student, I believe your being unrealistic.
Unless you have an amazing brain, it won't happen.
You can definitely get over a 6 in maths under 6 months, english too but without a teacher or some sort of support, it will be difficult.

Getting a C 8 years ago is way different from getting a C right now. Curriculums has changed and so has the difficulty of GCSEs. Many a-lvls topics also migrated into the GCSE maths specification.

As for A-LVLS, apart from the fact that you want to master the hardest a-levels under 6 months, it's actually possible to finish A-lvl maths within 6 months (as some schools have already done so). Now whether you get an A in maths is a different question.

I'd try to look for different routes, but if you're adamant (as another person said), you may as well say goodbye to sleeping let alone free time.
Reply 6
for english & maths GSCE you can get a 9 easily in 6 months but a-levels?? definitely not tbh

Quick Reply

Latest