The Student Room Group

Year 9 Summer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Banana00
Make sure to get the balance right - that's what it's really about. Do some work every day to get ahead. You don't have to know everything, but just ensure that you have a good understanding of the basics of each subject you are taking. For example, if you're dong History, you don't have to have perfected 10-mark essay answers by September, but just read lots around the subjects you're doing so when you start you're a bit better prepared than others.

Don't stress about work though, just do a couple of hours every day and make the most of this summer as it's not going to be so stress-free!

My main advice would just be to keep on top of everything right from the beginning so come exam time you'll be way less anxious.

Good Luck for everything, I'm sure you'll do very well.

Yup, I agree on that. IMO, It's about making sure you have a pretty good idea of what's going on by September, not knowing every single bit you will need for GCSE.

for French bellchez, it's about making sure u understand really well the tenses you learn & not just kind of knowing everything. I rather you know how to use everything up to the Conditional really well by the end of the summer than kind of knowing up to Perfect Subjunctive but always getting confused on how to conjugate different tenses. However, if u have mastered the conditional before the end of the summer, by all means master another tense at your own will.
Original post by loki123456
I specifically typed 'Present to the Conditional with amazing vocab, sentence structures and idioms in context' would probably be an A*'

or 'Present to Pluperfect (just one extra tense) with quite creative vocab, sentence structures and idioms would probably be an A*.

I didn't type you have to have to know the Subjunctive, Perfect Subjunctive, Perfect Conditional and even the Pluperfect for GCSE because GCSE examiners will judge your piece on it's own. Also, in GCSE textbooks the grammar sections go from Present to Pluperfect (well at least for Edexcel)

My teacher says that's all the grammar I would ever need to know for IB French SL (past ancient is also needed for HL) and IB does have quite a reputation for doing much of the first year in uni.

But OP isn't doing IB is she...? So you're providing her with more than she needs.

All you need for grammar (I do edexcel igcse french) is future/present/perfect with a few examples of conditional and imperfect for avoir and être. No subjunctives or pluperfect needed for an A*.
Not sure of the difference between igcse and gcse but yeah. :smile:
Relaaaxxx girl, you haven't even started learning the content yet. It's too early, chances are you wont understand what the specification is talking about and get confused. Don't start hating your subjects before you've even started.
Original post by loki123456
Nice try on trying to insult me 'any GCSEs for that matter'. I have done Edexcel GCSE Chinese in Year 8 as a non-native speaker and I got an A*. Chinese doesn't even have tenses (we use time connectives to show what time frame we're talking about) & it's a completely different language compared to French . D'ailleurs, if u are in uni you must have done your GCSE about 4 to 8 years ago so GCSEs have probably changed. Also, u might have done it in a different exam board as I did Edexcel for Chinese and doing Edexcel for French.

Also, the Edexcel GCSE French textbook goes up to the Pluperfect. I have read some samples of AQA GCSE French and all the A and A* work seem to have at least 5 tenses in them with good sentence structures (are u implying u don't need the future?). Also, my teacher agrees with me as my teacher said that she teaches up to Present Subjunctive for GCSE French and makes it clear to students they don't have to use the Pluperfect or the Present Subjunctive for GCSE to get an A*. I was also shown writing tasks for each grade and using just 4 tenses and basic vocab with basic adjectives merits C or at the highest B grade work.

What, so saying you haven't done GCSEs is an insult? :s-smilie: Look, I'm not going to argue with a teenager. Good for you that you've done Chinese GCSE, which by the way has nothing to do with French GCSE. My point is that you don't need all the things you've suggested to get a good grade, and that the OP can chill out and not spend their lives studying for a course they've not even started yet.

The best advice to give the OP is to not study any of this at all really. I've been there done that; you're either doing or are about to do GCSE French, so you just don't know as much, as you've not taken the course or sat the exam. Plus, although GCSEs may seem like a huge deal at the time, they're not. Obviously work hard, that's great - but with As and Bs and you'll be fine. Nobody needs A*s at GCSEs to do well in life.
Why would you do this to yourself????

I didn't do any work related stuff during the Year 9 summer and I got 7 *s. You'll have two years to prepare for GCSEs, have fun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending