The Student Room Group

Exam Time At A-Level vs. Exam Time At University

I'm an A-Level student, going to read Physics at either Imperial or UCL next year, depending on my grades.
I am aware that when it comes to a transition between these academic stages that one will have to develop a new strategy and attitude towards working towards exams, and that the input is much more extensive and spans more of your time. But that's all I know really. Thus, I'm asking what skills and abilities I must develop and pick up on in advance in order to perform well in undergraduate level exams, and how this contrasts with the A-Level exams.
As I currently see it, it seems like a lot of stressing work, which in any exam stage is inevitable, but particularly on the step up which I'm heading towards.
At a level you could learn the mark schemes for all of the past papers you have access to. At uni, there might only be 2 past papers with no marks schemes or solutions for you to go off. You have to be able to actually understand the material and be able to answer unseen questions rather than memorising how to answer questions.

At a level, you have to start revision weeks before your exams. At uni you might not even finish learning the content until like a week before the exam. But as long as you actually understand the content in your lectures as you're going along, you'll be fine. :smile:

The best part about uni exams is you get your results like 3 weeks after sitting them, compared to waiting a couple of months for a level!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rayquaza17
At a level you could learn the mark schemes for all of the past papers you have access to. At uni, there might only be 2 past papers with no marks schemes or solutions for you to go off. You have to be able to actually understand the material and be able to answer unseen questions rather than memorising how to answer questions.

At a level, you have to start revision weeks before your exams. At uni you might not even finish learning the content until like a week before the exam. But as long as you actually understand the content in your lectures as you're going along, you'll be fine. :smile:

The best part about uni exams is you get your results like 3 weeks after sitting them, compared to waiting a couple of months for a level!

Ouch. So far, I've been pretty reliant on the good number of past papers I can get. Guess I'll have to conserve my supply as much as I can. How could I substitute my practice towards exams?
Original post by Nuclear Ghost
Ouch. So far, I've been pretty reliant on the good number of past papers I can get. Guess I'll have to conserve my supply as much as I can. How could I substitute my practice towards exams?

I normally practise through all of the examples I've been given several times (like assignment questions, examples in notes, problem classes, etc).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending