The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You'll probably lose 1 mark for that. What else did you write for that question mate??
Erm, i cant remember it all, but dont want to put what i can remember to avoid possibly being horribly wrong lol
Reply 82
reee
I put

1-chloro-2-methylprop-2-ene lol :smile: , couldn't think of anything else tbh

that is wrong because the ene is your main fuctional group and u MUST name from the ene side...

3-chloro-2-methylprop-1-ene if I remeber correctly
Reply 83
sstez
that is wrong because the ene is your main fuctional group and u MUST name from the ene side...

ok fair enough, but y not the halogenoalkane be the main functional group?
Reply 84
Can anyone remember what the electron configuration question asked for was it calcium or calcium 2+? It's annoying me, sad i know...
Reply 85
LuluMumma
Can anyone remember what the electron configuration question asked for was it calcium or calcium 2+? It's annoying me, sad i know...

it was 18 electrons - it was an ion.
calcium is usually 20.
so the electronic configuration for 18 electrons lol
Reply 86
sstez

Yeah, I put that. :biggrin:
Reply 87
firestar786
it was 18 electrons - it was an ion.
calcium is usually 20.
so the electronic configuration for 18 electrons lol

Yea that is what i put, it's just i remember putting 18 and afterwards i realised that calcium has 20 e- and i was beginning to question my sanity :s-smilie:
Reply 88
reee
I put

1-chloro-2-methylprop-2-ene lol :smile: , couldn't think of anything else tbh

I put that too. Why is ene the main function group and not the halogen?
Foundation Paper, questions I spectacularly messed up on were:

*The how many moles of electrons/ions question (2 marks)
*which element was oxidised (2 marks)
*Ca(OH)2 dot and cross (2 marks)

Never mind nothing I can do now ,eh?
lol
At least all the other questions were ok :wink: :smile:
i messed up on those questions too :frown:
Reply 91
Kill.Me.Now

I think everyone did! Do you think that if they were answered poorly nationally, they will take that into account as in lower the grade boundary slightly? My chemistry teacher said that he had a discussion with other chem teachers about the mole one and they weren' even sure! Grade boundary for june 2006 was 46= A, personally i thought that was easier then our paper (did it for mock) so you never know.
Kill.Me.Now

I wouldnt worry, whats the point? Everyone says it, and i know its really annoying when people do, "but you cant change it now".

We can do it again in June. Obviously it would of been good to nail it first time, and take the pressure off in june a little, but if we have to we have to.

As regards moving the grade boundaries, I wouldnt know..I hope so though. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

regards saz x
Reply 93
gooner88
I put that too. Why is ene the main function group and not the halogen?

well I dont really know a good explanation for it but I am very good at naming and I always know that ene > Cl or CH3....

go here and scroll down to the end of the page... http://www.wpbschoolhouse.btinternet.co.uk/page06/AlkeneStructure.htm

some examples to confirm...
Reply 94
sstez
well I dont really know a good explanation for it but I am very good at naming and I always know that ene > Cl or CH3....

go here and scroll down to the end of the page... http://www.wpbschoolhouse.btinternet.co.uk/page06/AlkeneStructure.htm

some examples to confirm...

I didn't really know that, well its only 1 mark, but it could make a big difference.

NVM :smile:
Reply 95
I joined this forum purly to slate the foundation paper

I think the whole country had problems with same questions, Ca-OH dot and cross & How many moles of electrons ect..

By the way, i messed up and easy question but im still not sure. Where it said, why is the melting point of Si higher than P, i talked about the sub orbitals pairing up in P in the Px sub-orbital-electron pair repulsion blah blah blah. My friend said i had totally missed the point though and it was because of the giatn structure silicon makes-is he right?
^^

I put Si has giant covalent bonding, while as P has discrete covalent bonding.

weaker bonds in P, compared to Si, more energy required to break bonds etc etc
Reply 97
yes he is right Si has a giant covalent structure so all Si atoms are joined to other Si atoms, no intermolecular forces so to melt or boil it you have to break very strong covalent bonds. P is a simple molecular and so has intermolecular forces, VDW to melt or boil P u only have to break the weak intermolecular forces which requires alot less energy than breaking covalent bonds so threfore has a much lower boiling point and melting point
Reply 98
Anyone did HFHF paper?. If so, can u say wut u got for the calculation question abut the combustion of propene?
A retake in June is certainly not a disaster for this module. Im sure it will be easier in jUNE, and plus there isn't too much to revise in this module overall. I've done quite badly on this one, i just need to recap around may time, and i'll be fine.

Latest