The Student Room Group

Do you ever want more from life?

I suppose the norm is to go to university, get a job etc.. but do ever want more from life. I'd just love to travel for a couple of years, do something different. I feel like a 9-5 office job would just bore me after a while. Does anyone feel the same way? :smile:
Just a couple of years? I'm gonna spend as much as my time travelling as I can. Obviously not all at once, but every year, once I'm sorted with a solid job and home etc, hope to visit 1 or 2 different countries a year, check off as many incredible places as possible.

I'd happily take a 9 to 5 office job if it meant I could do that.

But I do get the feeling that that sort of job isn't really living life to the fullest you know? Have considered joining the army and doing 4 or 8 years. I think that depends on where I go from here with my current job.
Reply 2
Sorry I meant a couple of years travelling, maybe working abroad for a bit before returning to the UK and settling down with a full time job. But yes definitely once I'm in a job I'd love to travel in my free time :smile:

I totally agree with the whole not living life to the fullest but though :smile:
Reply 3
Not all 9-5 office jobs are the same. Some can be really exciting (no day is the same) and some are really great because of the people you work with.

A lot of jobs outside of the 9-5 suck, are uber bitchy and are hard to stay in long term. Sectors/industries such as the creative industries and academia are very hard to make a living from, especially if you're from a poor background. A 9-5 can allow you to get the money to travel, get the music or art equipment you dream of, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emilys7
Sorry I meant a couple of years travelling, maybe working abroad for a bit before returning to the UK and settling down with a full time job. But yes definitely once I'm in a job I'd love to travel in my free time :smile:

I totally agree with the whole not living life to the fullest but though :smile:

I'm not sure I could straight up do a couple of years travelling. I'm a homesick lil baby. But it would be cool to just drop everything and "go". I think if I was gonna do something like that I'd backpack around Europe, or roadtrip across the USA, attempt to visit every state or something.

Original post by datpiff
Not all 9-5 office jobs are the same. Some can be really exciting (no day is the same) and some are really great because of the people you work with.

A lot of jobs outside of the 9-5 suck, are uber bitchy and are hard to stay in long term. Sectors/industries such as the creative industries and academia are very hard to make a living from, especially if you're from a poor background. A 9-5 can allow you to get the money to travel, get the music or art equipment you dream of, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great points. A job is only what you make of it. The bare bones might just be boring office work, but you're bound to meet great people and no doubt make the best friends of your life. Job security is seriously important too.
I need a job with travel opportunities, which is what I'm pursuing. But then, that could get in the way of meeting someone & having a family, which is also what I'm pursuing.
Original post by TornadoGR4
I need a job with travel opportunities, which is what I'm pursuing. But then, that could get in the way of meeting someone & having a family, which is also what I'm pursuing.

Meet someone who loves to travel? Which admittedly is easier said than done :tongue:
Original post by emilys7
I suppose the norm is to go to university, get a job etc.. but do ever want more from life. I'd just love to travel for a couple of years, do something different. I feel like a 9-5 office job would just bore me after a while. Does anyone feel the same way? :smile:

9-5 is what I want as I feel I'll get bored travelling :tongue: So not really.
Original post by blackened_sky
Meet someone who loves to travel? Which admittedly is easier said than done :tongue:

I think there's plenty of people who love to travel, but I'd rather travel in my job/career than just for leisure
Id love to travel, but I think I'd be too scared to go on my own! It feels weird knowing that my childhood is slipping away. I don't really want to be an adult, too many responsibilities and it feels like there is so much more to see and do.
You need money to do anything. Hence why most people get 9-5 jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending