The Student Room Group

Can my landlord make us pay for the other room?

Hi guys,

I'm currently renting a five-bedroom property with other students and all the rooms are filled. However, after July, when the the contract gets renewed (we are staying in the same house for our third years as well) there will only be four people in the house - as someone is leaving uni.

My landlord has said if we don't find another person then we have to pay for the extra room between us - which is an extra £16/week. With all the bills and everything, it's going to add up and none of us want to pay for that room - and can't find another person who wants it (we're in High Wycombe, Bucks, if anyone here needs a room! xD )

So, my question is... can he do this? I don't remember my contract specifically saying anything about this situation...
Reply 1
Depends what your contract says, but yes, this is pretty standard. A shared house is rented for a set rent, which is split between the number of tenants. One less person means more rent for the rest. The landlord isn't going to want to lose out financially. You can get advice from your Student Union housing officer, but I'm pretty sure they'll tell you this is normal. Your best bet is to find a new person for your spare room.
Original post by ToniJay94
Hi guys,

I'm currently renting a five-bedroom property with other students and all the rooms are filled. However, after July, when the the contract gets renewed (we are staying in the same house for our third years as well) there will only be four people in the house - as someone is leaving uni.

My landlord has said if we don't find another person then we have to pay for the extra room between us - which is an extra £16/week. With all the bills and everything, it's going to add up and none of us want to pay for that room - and can't find another person who wants it (we're in High Wycombe, Bucks, if anyone here needs a room! xD )

So, my question is... can he do this? I don't remember my contract specifically saying anything about this situation...

if you have one contract you all signed which says you are jointly and severably liable then usually that means yes you are all liable for the whole rent amount
Original post by ToniJay94
Hi guys,

Unfortunately yes he can it's pretty standard if one person drops out your renting the house not the room. I wouldn't worry too much in my 3rd year I was a room replacement as was other other girl who moved in the first week of term proper there will be people who get in via clearing or as their insurance choice who don't get halls just put up adverts in the uni on the university websites and on here and you'll almost defiantly find someone.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you've got a joint tenancy then of course you have to pay for the extra room. Otherwise one person could rent a massive house, pay rent for one room then move loads of their friends in to fill the other rooms and they'd share the rent for one room between them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending