The Student Room Group

Landlord is not fixing mould & making a sign contract.

Landlord is not fixing mould & making us sign that we will control condensation

Hi please help me. There is mould in our house for years now and the landlord has done nothing to fix it. She sends contractors but never did anything to fix it. Now she is making us sign this contract to control the condensation. And this could come back to bite us. What to do ? I don’t know the cause of the mould, the property is cold during the winter. We do try to put heating but she is making us put heating for 8 hours now, we aren’t ******* rich to do that. We do put heating when it’s gets cold. My brother made a big mistake he didn’t tell us the landlord was coming for a visit, so she found the house dirty and clothes on the heating. I will admit that in winter my parents did put wet clothes on heating.

Now she will probably take our money when we try to leave the house. My brother is getting angry at us, he is saying I should quit my uni (have only till April 2024) and help him buy a house and work full time. And he is shouting at my parents. This man is 26 years old doesn’t pay rent. I pay rent. My parents are in their 60s and they have health problems however they are still working to provide for us, he is incredibly ungrateful. He is mad that my parents built a house in India instead of buying a house here. I feel that my parents health is getting worse because of his shouting.

Everytime the landlord messages him he screams at my parents, to make me work full time & quit uni. I feel bad for my parents. Sometimes I feel guilty for going to uni because I feel like I’m putting my parents through hell for me. I can’t speak to the landlord because I am not on the contract. He essentially wants my parents to force me to quit uni. My parents told him no and yet that makes no difference.

Now I know that once I am on mortgage with him, chances of me buying my own place will drop significantly but I am willing to do it for my parents sake. I am hoping that things will work out for me. I am willing to help him buy a house, but he is not willing to wait couple of months. I shouldn’t even be helping him in the first place.

Someone put a wrong idea in his head that he should buy a house before he is married because the girl will ask what does he have ? He wasted his life by not being in a stable job, he could have got a better salary had he looked for decent job and stayed with the company, instead of changing jobs constantly, he has a business degree, which I heard job market is competitive and all that. But still he could have tried for a better job. He finished uni at 21.
This is the contract she made. Can we ask you to read this information on condensation and follow the procedures to prevent condensation in your rented property. Please note that it is the tenant's responsibility to prevent condensation in their rented property and not the landlords or agent's responsibility. If you fail to control the condensation and the property suffers as a result it will be the tenant's reasonability to pay the landlord for any damages relating to condensation. What is Condensation? Condensation occurs where moist air comes into contact with air, or a surface, which is at a lower temperature. Air contains water vapour in varying quantities, its capacity to do so is related to its temperature - warm air holds more moisture than cold air. When moist air comes into contact with either colder air or a colder surface, the air is unable to retain the same amount of moisture and the water is released to form condensation in the air or on the surface. Condensation is generally noticeable where it forms on non-absorbent surfaces (i.e. windows or tiles) but it can form on any surface and it may not be noticed until mould growth or rotting of material occurs. How to Prevent Condensation

1. ⁠After a bath or shower, try to ventilate the room to the outside, not to the rest of the house - just opening a window and closing the door) will help.
2. ⁠When people come in with wet coats, hang them outside the living area to dry.
3. ⁠Always use the extractor fans in the bathroom and Kitchen (if provided by landlord)
4. ⁠Consider using a dehumidifier - domestic types are now available and can remove a surprising amount of water from the air.
5. ⁠Heating needs to be on 8 hours during the day (winter months)
6. ⁠When on holiday, leave heating on in winter months.
7. ⁠Allow air to circulate throughout your home by opening doors occasionally. Never over pack your wardrobes with clothes and open your wardrobe door a little to let air circulate.
8. ⁠Ensure that there is some ventilation in your home, especially in bedrooms, during the night.
9. ⁠If there is water lying on the inside of your window sills in the morning wipe it up immediately. If you do not it will add moisture to the room as it heats up during the daytime 10.Open windows if you are cooking and do not allow steam from cooking to enter other rooms in The house.
10. ⁠Do not block air vents. They are fitted to reduce condensation.
11. ⁠Dry clothes outside and if you do use a tumble drier then ensure that it is vented to the outside. If You do not have the facility of tumble dryer then take the clothes to the local laundry
12. ⁠Avoid using paraffin or bottled gas heaters. They put about a pint of water into the air every pound weight of fuel they burn.
13. ⁠If you do experience mould growth on walls, you can wipe it off with a Fungicidal Wash from Wickes to prevent mould growth
14. ⁠If you experience mould growth on the bathroom, you can apply Dettoll Mould & Mildew Remover from ASDA, Morrisons or Sainsbury's. You may need to apply more than once. Please sign below to confirm you have understood and read the content of this letter.
Reply 2
Don’t sign this contract, it looks unreasonably detailed. Get some legal advice from citizens advice or a law centre.
Reply 3
Original post by idiotsandwich5
This is the contract she made. Can we ask you to read this information on condensation and follow the procedures to prevent condensation in your rented property. Please note that it is the tenant's responsibility to prevent condensation in their rented property and not the landlords or agent's responsibility. If you fail to control the condensation and the property suffers as a result it will be the tenant's reasonability to pay the landlord for any damages relating to condensation. What is Condensation? Condensation occurs where moist air comes into contact with air, or a surface, which is at a lower temperature. Air contains water vapour in varying quantities, its capacity to do so is related to its temperature - warm air holds more moisture than cold air. When moist air comes into contact with either colder air or a colder surface, the air is unable to retain the same amount of moisture and the water is released to form condensation in the air or on the surface. Condensation is generally noticeable where it forms on non-absorbent surfaces (i.e. windows or tiles) but it can form on any surface and it may not be noticed until mould growth or rotting of material occurs. How to Prevent Condensation

1. ⁠After a bath or shower, try to ventilate the room to the outside, not to the rest of the house - just opening a window and closing the door) will help.
2. ⁠When people come in with wet coats, hang them outside the living area to dry.
3. ⁠Always use the extractor fans in the bathroom and Kitchen (if provided by landlord)
4. ⁠Consider using a dehumidifier - domestic types are now available and can remove a surprising amount of water from the air.
5. ⁠Heating needs to be on 8 hours during the day (winter months)
6. ⁠When on holiday, leave heating on in winter months.
7. ⁠Allow air to circulate throughout your home by opening doors occasionally. Never over pack your wardrobes with clothes and open your wardrobe door a little to let air circulate.
8. ⁠Ensure that there is some ventilation in your home, especially in bedrooms, during the night.
9. ⁠If there is water lying on the inside of your window sills in the morning wipe it up immediately. If you do not it will add moisture to the room as it heats up during the daytime 10.Open windows if you are cooking and do not allow steam from cooking to enter other rooms in The house.
10. ⁠Do not block air vents. They are fitted to reduce condensation.
11. ⁠Dry clothes outside and if you do use a tumble drier then ensure that it is vented to the outside. If You do not have the facility of tumble dryer then take the clothes to the local laundry
12. ⁠Avoid using paraffin or bottled gas heaters. They put about a pint of water into the air every pound weight of fuel they burn.
13. ⁠If you do experience mould growth on walls, you can wipe it off with a Fungicidal Wash from Wickes to prevent mould growth
14. ⁠If you experience mould growth on the bathroom, you can apply Dettoll Mould & Mildew Remover from ASDA, Morrisons or Sainsbury's. You may need to apply more than once. Please sign below to confirm you have understood and read the content of this letter.

Get advice from Citizen's Advice - don't sign until the place is clear of mould.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending