The Student Room Group

Is doing 5 A-Levels a good idea?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arkasia
If I reach my offer, Exeter, if I don't, then I'm thinking of taking a year out.

Sounds good! Which course?
Original post by Xenon1305
Sounds good! Which course?

English Literature :smile:
I never understand why people think schoolwork is hard. I have never in my life found it hard or too much to keep up with. It's a standard necessity. Just...do it. As long as you understand the material (which honestly you should if you pay attention, don't procrastinate, attend, sort your priorities and revise sufficiently), I don't see why anything is difficult. The only time it would be hard is if you have to be in two places at once or something like a messed up schedule which certainly would be sorted out. I think in all my life I only met one person who had to leave early to get to another class, but that was Uni. and she was just tryna graduate.
A guy I know goes to Eton and he's doing 5 and carrying them through to A2 :O I think he's crazy but apparently that's the norm there. My school won't even let me carry on all 4 which is so so annoying because for the uni I want to go to you need 4. They tell me that unis don't really care for an extra A2 and would rather you have higher A2 results than more of them. The way I see it, if you enjoy the subjects and can carry the extra workload, go for it!
Original post by Arkasia
English Literature :smile:

For E.Lit was your exam board AQA?
For E.Lit was your exam board AQA?

For GCSE yeah, for AS and A2 it's OCR.
Original post by naitik13
I have decided to do Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Computing for my A-levels next academic year and I was wondering if it is a good idea to be doing all of them or if i should consider dropping one.

Thanks for the help in advance.

It is always a good idea to do as many as you can as this will make you stand out as a good all rounded candidate when you apply to university. That being said, you shouldn't overburden yourself-know how much effort your willing to put in and how much you can handle.

5 A levels is no problem if you're willing to work hard! I am at the end of AS right now and did Maths, Further Maths, Chem, Bio, History, Ethics and critical thinking and i managed it somehow :tongue:
Original post by Arkasia
For GCSE yeah, for AS and A2 it's OCR.

Ahh, shame I did WJEC for GCSE and evidently AQA for A level.
Ahh, shame I did WJEC for GCSE and evidently AQA for A level.

Oh okay, well good luck anyway!
Original post by Arkasia
Oh okay, well good luck anyway!

you too!
I would stick to 4 A-Levels. It's easy to assume (with a GCSE mindset) that doing 5 A-levels could be manageable; but I cannot stress how much of a step from GCSE A-Levels are - you will probably drive yourself mad!

Obviously you know your own capabilities better than anyone - but personally I would advise against it.

Quick Reply

Latest