The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I had my 2nd one yesterday with the nurse at my GPs.
There doing it free...I think it might just be cause the nurse is nice and her kids go to my school so I always have a good chat with her. I asked her yesterday if I needed to pay and she was like shhushhh *shakes head*:smile:
Had my first one today - I thought it would be alot worse than it was! Just one simple injection! Next ones in a month :smile:

I went to my GP, they initially said i would have to pay but when i mentioned i was hopefully going to medical school they said it would be free!
Reply 43
I've had mine done inc blood test and the results are good but someone told me that as some people try to fake the results, unis make you have it all done again anyway when you start....is there any truth in this?
Reply 44
Frenchy
I've had mine done inc blood test and the results are good but someone told me that as some people try to fake the results, unis make you have it all done again anyway when you start....is there any truth in this?

Yup - it's true...
Don't know if this will still help but my local GUM clinics do HepB vaccs for free if you say you get around. Might be worth a look.
Just trying to sort this malarchy out at the moment . Meh :frown:
Reply 47
Make sure you do - at least get your certificate of non-infectivity sorted, as UCL are one of the schools who have revoked offers in the past for not having proof that you do not have hep B to them by the date they stipulate...
Reply 48
Daibhidh
Don't know if this will still help but my local GUM clinics do HepB vaccs for free if you say you get around. Might be worth a look.

With no documentation that you've had the jabs etc... Can cause issues if you 'accidentally' mention to anyone in an offical capacity that you had the jabs at a sexual health clinic and that factoid works its way on to an offical record such as your medical notes... If you then try to get life assurance for a mortgage at a later date, and this comes up, it increasing your premium as it makes it look like you are at an at risk group by having had your jabs at the local GUM shop...
Well I got a print-out from the GP showing my non-infectivity status etc. The problem is this new fangled thing they've brought in about accredited clinics where Photo ID is needed at the point of testing.
Reply 50
I'm finally getting my first jab on monday.
Reply 51
When you talk about a certificate, just the results of your blood test isn't enough?
Reply 52
any help?
Depends for which uni. I think for UCL I can send of the blood results. But if I haven't had it done by one of these so called CPA registered places with Photo ID. I have to have it done by Occupational Health there and pay £100.
Frenchy
When you talk about a certificate, just the results of your blood test isn't enough?

Most of the stuff I've read have stated that you need to provide "proof of immunity", so that would be a blood test result stating that you have the correct values, or if not, "a certifcate showing non-infectvity of Hep B", whatever that means :p:
Reply 55
Frenchy
any help?

I saw in your sig that Liverpool is your Firm, I asked them about Hep B because I wasn't sure what I needed to do, having had the course 3 years ago. The nurse at Student Health who sort it out said that we'll all have our blood taken around December time for the test, so not to worry. Just need to make sure of all the dates.
My GP gave it me for free I think, after my mum made demanding phonecalls to the surgery lol

Don't unis give you until the end of first year to complete the vaccination course? I'm sure I've read that somewhere before.
I suppose it depends on when you start having patient contact. Like the majority of these sorts of things, I'd imagine it was specific to university.
Hmm, I have the printout from the GPs surgery of my immunisations and results etc, but do they actually want something different. like the actual thing the lab scientist signed?
Reply 59
My GPs won't vaccinate me as they say they can't do it for free anymore and they can't charge me as I'm an NHS patient there. So my best option seems to be the travel clinic - they cost £25 per jab and have given me two options:

a) I can do the normal 6 month course (1 at 0 months, 1 at 1 month and 1 at 6 months)... or,

b) I can do the three jabs with a month between each...

To those of you in the know, which course would be better? Is it worth getting it done quickly or should I go for the 6 month course? I can start next week and so would have my last jab in September if I went for option a, is that a bit too late?

Latest

Trending

Trending