The Student Room Group

How many times did it take to pass your driving test??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
-mb-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_blockers#Anxiety_and_performance_enhancement
If you don't like what you read on Wikipedia, perhaps you should scroll down to the bottom of this NHS advice:
http://www.nmhct.nhs.uk/Pharmacy/anx2.htm

Persuaded?

That seems fairly conclusive that in the eyes of the law this is forbidden and dangerous. As the above poster says if you engage your examiner in conversation you will imporve your chances. You just have to try and calm yourself down and do your best. I know it's easy to say things like that, but it's all you can do. Eventually, if you're determined enough, you will pass. :smile:
"It is against the law to drive, attempt to drive or be in charge of a vehicle when unfit, either through illness or from the side effects of medication." (From the NHS website)

Medications affect everybody differently, some people will suffer side effects from the whilst others won't. It would appear from the quote I have put above that it is only illegal if you unfit from side effects of medication. So...some people could take beta blockers and not be fit to drive, whilst others may be perfectly ok. I would assume that the doctors who prescribe beta blockers to people have to take this into account and will ensure that people understand the risks and that they need to see if they suffer any side effects before they drive.

I am not saying that using beta blockers to pass your driving test should be encouraged, obviously if you can find other ways of passing that would be better. Generally as well you should try and decide/work out what is making you fail, why are you so nervous? Rather than just resorting to medication to help you pass, but I don't see why people who passed first/second time etc should riddicule those who didnt and ended up finding other ways to 'help' them pass. At the end of the day, they did pass their test, if they hadn't been in a fit state surely the examiner would have picked up on that and they would have failed, they wouldnt have reacted as they should to something etc.

I passed on my 6th test, various reasons for failing, but basically it all came down to nerves. I could drive fine in lessons, but went to pieces on my test. On my 6th test I had a more laid back attitude (it was a day before my theory expired, and was a bit of a last attempt just for the sake of it), I used a mixture of kalms and rescue remedy and passed it pretty well. Whilst kalms and rescue remedy aren't 'medicines' I am assuming I would be one of the people that some posters are laughing at for needing to take things to pass their test, at my 6th go? I have been driving nearly a year now, and without meaning to sound like I am boasting/big headed I am a better driver than some of my friends who passed first/second time and still can't drive well. I am a lot more confident now and have driven several long journeys, used the motorways a lot etc, other people I know still refuse to go on the motorway.

Anyway.....I guess my point is, at the end of the day it doesnt really matter how you pass your test, or how many times it takes. If you are passed then you should be of a good enough standard, obviously there may be some exceptions that slip through the net. To the OP - keep at it you'll get there in the end!!

....and sorry for the long post, but some of the earlier comments really wound me up!
Reply 22
it took me three. I don't particularly think my last one I did any better than my other two (in fact, my second test wasa great drive I think. 5 faults is alright by me!) but because of the weird rules sometimes you will be unlucky and a mistake you make will be considered serious. You just have to keep trying until you pass :smile:
Reply 23
Third time lucky i passed last thursday. i thought i would never pass after the second one but you just have to keep trying and don't have a test before your completly ready. i knew i wouldnt pass my 1st test i was crap i dont think i should of taken it. You shouldn't give up somethims ur just unlucky.

A lot of private driving with your parents or friends usually helps outside of your normal lessons. it really helped me. good luck:smile:
Reply 24
Richy_Boi
First time, at exactly 17 years and 3 months old.

What!? Haha sorry but that's hilarious.

If you find that funny then I would say you're not mature enough to be in control of a motor vehicle.
Reply 25
Fourth time. First time was sheer nerves, I honestly have no idea why I was so nervous as I've never bene like that before! Second time was just absolute bad luck, third time I had the same examiner as I had in the first test and that put me off, fourth time I passed with 2 minors.

BTW, I'm on prescription beta blockers due to my heart condition, and as they don't affect me adversely, my cardiologist, GP and the DVLA say it's absolutely fine for me to drive.
Reply 26
My mate passed today, 2nd time.
Reply 27
I just failed today, it was my first try. I did everything correctly, but I ran through 1 stop sign which screwed up the whole test. I thought I should have passed it because I made complete stops at the other 4. Honestly the test is stupid, they don't test your ability to drive on a highway or change lanes or even test your knowledge of basic road rules such as
Right of Way's. I hate New Jersey:mad:
Reply 28
Passed first time, wasn't a car enthusiast or nut beforehand :smile:
Reply 29
1st time. No minors. I was 19 tho and been riding a full blown sports bike for 2 years:p: Only had 10 lessons too
i passed 2nd time, only had 2 extra lessons in between 1st and 2nd test - it wanst that i wasn't test standard or ready, i was unlucky and got in an awkward situation on my 1st test, i got to a blind corner with all cars parked round it on a very narrow road - (even though you are not meant to park on a corner) and i couldnt see a car that was coming....i pulled out slowly but as soon as i could see that someone else was coming i stopped, but i failed because of that...... they were going very fast and had to slow down but i failed for making them slow down when they should have been going slower in the 1st place...
Bikerz
1st time. No minors. I was 19 tho and been riding a full blown sports bike for 2 years:p: Only had 10 lessons too

as if... 1st time and no minors and only 10 lessons......as if...... :p:
Reply 32
My aunt passed her theory in 18 days, and she was like! you cant do ****, i said...ill pass it in 2 weeks, so i did :biggrin:!!!

Passed first time in theory :biggrin:

Passed my driving first time as well! :biggrin: and she hasn't even passed yet :biggrin:
First time - Parked in a bus stop for my "pull in somewhere safe on the left" so i thought the bus stop would have been safe!

Second Time - 2 Minors :P
Reply 34
First time :smile:
Original post by jordan200888
i passed 2nd time, only had 2 extra lessons in between 1st and 2nd test - it wanst that i wasn't test standard or ready, i was unlucky and got in an awkward situation on my 1st test, i got to a blind corner with all cars parked round it on a very narrow road - (even though you are not meant to park on a corner) and i couldnt see a car that was coming....i pulled out slowly but as soon as i could see that someone else was coming i stopped, but i failed because of that...... they were going very fast and had to slow down but i failed for making them slow down when they should have been going slower in the 1st place...

That's exactly how my boyfriend failed his first test. He's in the middle of his second now i'm a nervous wreck hoping he passes!
i'm hoping to pass either on my first or second time. i'm taking my time with lessons so i know i get it right =/ i'm a nervous driver but i'm starting to get better
Reply 37
Twice. You know what they say, best drivers pass second time, aha :u:

But yeah, first time my leg went to **** with nerves and it wouldnt stop spazzing out - kept losing the biting point of the clutch, stalling and ultimately failing. I didnt get any minors for my parallel park/reversing round the corner, just the stalling bitch.

He even made me get out of the car and walk around which i gave myself a noticeable pep talk to pull my **** together. Didnt work.

2nd time i took a **** load of Rescue Remedy - had a ittle bit of a spaz during my 3 point turn but managed to control it. Passed with 6 minors.
Reply 38
Hey don't loose heart. I passed on eight occasion. My Last year was full of it. Wasted around 5 grand on stupid license. But believe me its worth it in the end. You get your freedom. So keep going.
I was lucky enough to pass first time but I spent the WHOLE thing convinced I had failed the parallel park (I did that first). I could honestly believe I hit the curb but apparently I didn't. Thinking I failed must have relaxed me a little. And also I had an awful driving lesson the day before where I made stupid mistakes. I shouldn't have made. This shows you can have a bad time and still pass.
That said, I did my test when the old system was in place (Just)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending