The Student Room Group

How many times did it take to pass your driving test??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
i passed first time, with no minors in December. I had my first lesson on my birthday in may.

i couldnt beleive it, as im female and 17 and no one beleived i would pass atall!

as for advice, buy a car, and get your parents to let you drive on provisional insurance, or drive your parents car on your provisional. On my test, i made sure i ALWAYS checked my mirrors and indicated and stuck to the speed limit, and not at snail pace.

if you keep failing.. thought of changing driving instructor?!
(edited 13 years ago)
3rd time lucky for me!
Reply 42
4th time passed, trust me dont worry bout it, driving for your test is diff to everyday driving, plus a friend of mine took 7 tests to pass
I passed on my fourth attempt. The first 2 were silly little things that I messed up due to nerves, and I knew I'd failed straight away. The third was due to me having the worst examiner in the whole test centre. I don't know if it would help you but on my fourth test my instructor sat in the back of the car, which seemed to make the examiner relax a little bit and made me feel more at ease. Good luck!
Reply 44
I just failed my first driving test 8 minors and 1 serious. Completely devastated cos I'm a really nervous person and the serious was something stupid but on the plus side I know what to expect next time round so I know what I need to do to be in control and pass on my second time.
Reply 45
passed first time with no minors about 5 months after i turned 17

failed my theory twice though
Reply 46
i just failed mine today, second attempt.
2 serious: basically i didnt see a car coming, wrongly assuming the road was clear, i still have no idea where that car came from though as i didnt see it, and instead of braking and stopping for it, i actually carried on crossing the road, thinking it was too late, not realising that i could have saved myself from a serious if id done an emergency stop. thats what my instructor said anyway, but im sure, even if i had stopped, the examiner would have given me a serious for not seeing the car in the first place. it was a no win situation.
my other serious was when joining a dual carriageway: i was too slow and didnt pick up my speed quick enough! just such a shame. im soo gutted! silly things like that you fail for and NO amount of driving lessons can prepare you for whatever situations you encounter in the test.
got 7 minors ( nitpicking) and my manouvre was turn in the road- my favourite manouvre, i couldnt have asked for better luck, my examiner was really kind and tried to put me at ease. the weather was sunny, perfect. and yet i fail for those two really measly mistakes that i could have avoided.
when i was told id failed i couldnt help but burst out crying and wouldnt stop: its bad enough failing first time, but second time....:'(((((( after all that time and money, you feel a little lost.
i have no idea what to do now. i dont know how people who just take 40 hours and manage to pass first time manage to do it, like some of my friends. yet this is taking me ages!! almost feel like im missing something.
Reply 47
I passed just over a week ago first time, theory first time too.

To be honest, a lot of it is down to luck. I've been having lessons for a year (I'm 18) and I didn't want to rush the test until I was completely ready. When the test came, I didn't feel ready either :P I was really nervous and was convinced my bay park at the start was wrong, but I corrected it (twice) so it was fine in the end, but the examiner was friendly, so that helped. My driving instructor told me what time the more friendly examiner takes tests, so I made sure I get him, in a quiet time on a Monday. the rest of the drive was okay, I sort of kept talking saying what i'm doing, like when it's safe and when it's not etc, because that calmed me down. I also had a migrane on the day, so I suppose that determined me not getting distacted.

Now, driving by myself, it's been two days and I can't say I'm very confident, but I've alredy been on the motorway because that's part of my journey to school.

My best advice to you is make sure you have a nice driving instructor who you get on really well with and who will give you all the right advice. Have a lesson before the test to get a feel of your car and take your time. I wasn't a car enthusiast before I passed, I just had favourable conditions such as a quiet time in town and no sun (it did rain though!), so don't beat yourself up, just stick with it!

:redface:
Reply 48
Passed first time about a month ago, was so shocked as I really thought I was going to fail. TBH I( wasn't really tht nervous for some reason, more nervous in lessons as my instructor was a **** probs why I passed, so desperate to get away from him lol :biggrin: Good Luck
I failed my driving test 2 weeks ago...and my 2nd attempt is next thursday! my instructor said im really ready to pass, but arghhh u just dont knoww!!!
Reply 50
I failed mine two day ago at kings heath

the first blooming island, couldnt believe it got my next test in two weeks at south yardley I HOPE I :smile: PASSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Reply 51
I put it down to pure luck on the day as they can only pass a certain amount of people per day, PRI**S
I passed yesterday 1st time with 1 minor! couldn't believe it :-))
I passed my test 4th time
Reply 54
Failed 1st test with 10 minors and 1 major, which apparently was pulling off in 3rd after emergency stop, which I somehow managed to do... Passed 2nd test with 5 minors :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 55
I passed 1st time, was really shocked when i got told i had passed my test. I thought i had failed at first because i went the wrong way twice, that was just bad nervous and getting confused. That was four years when i took my driving test.
I failed my driving test 3weeks ago. I now have it this thursday, and my teacher said that unlike the last time she's going to sit in the car with me....
I am a little nervous that she will sit there.
Is there any advise on passing?
Reply 57
1st time with 5 minors
Reply 58
Original post by Miss. B
Due to my nereves I have got my 4th test on wed and was just wondering how many times it took you guys to pass? It's cost me so much money so any tips would be good!

Just failed second attempt today. Had to return to the centre after fifteen minutes for making a 'dangerous' manouvere on a roundabout :/ oops
3rd time lucky ...
Reply 59
First time, 2 minors. However I learnt on and off for 10 years before I actually could be bothered to take my test!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending