The Student Room Group

UCAS Points needed

Hi there, so I'm a bit on edge here. I have 160 points from 3 AS subjects in media communication and culture and sociology. Due to personal reasons I couldn't carry on my A2s because I missed so much college and they pretty much kicked me out!

However I applied to Sheffield Hallam to do PR and Media and have a conditional offer. I've already told the uni about my circumstance.

Sheff Hallam requires 280 points for this course however it says key skills etc are accepted but then it says other relevant learning or experience can be considered for admission basically as long as you can show you'll benefit from and finish the course successfully!

I've taken it upon myself to do a short PR course with an institution that works with the university for this course. I'm also searching so hard to find an NCFE course in Media that holds UCAS points for distant learners and I've found none at all!! I've found level 3 NCFE media diplomas but they don't hold UCAS points so I'm screwed. But I'm willing to take the media diploma if it means entrance to university!

I told the university this and I'm waiting for a reply from the admissions tutor if this would be enough to be accepted! Bearing in mind I'm 19 I don't wanna leave uni any later!

Sorry for the long message but yeah does anyone know an online course or distant learners course in media that offers UCAS points? Do you think if I also do the diploma it would be enough? It's basically the same modules and qualification just minus the points!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucekp1
Hi there, so I'm a bit on edge here. I have 160 points from 3 AS subjects in media communication and culture and sociology. Due to personal reasons I couldn't carry on my A2s because I missed so much college and they pretty much kicked me out!

However I applied to Sheffield Hallam to do PR and Media and have a conditional offer. I've already told the uni about my circumstance.

Sheff Hallam requires 280 points for this course however it says key skills etc are accepted but then it says other relevant learning or experience can be considered for admission basically as long as you can show you'll benefit from and finish the course successfully!

I've taken it upon myself to do a short PR course with an institution that works with the university for this course. I'm also searching so hard to find an NCFE course in Media that holds UCAS points for distant learners and I've found none at all!! I've found level 3 NCFE media diplomas but they don't hold UCAS points so I'm screwed. But I'm willing to take the media diploma if it means entrance to university!

I told the university this and I'm waiting for a reply from the admissions tutor if this would be enough to be accepted! Bearing in mind I'm 19 I don't wanna leave uni any later!

Sorry for the long message but yeah does anyone know an online course or distant learners course in media that offers UCAS points? Do you think if I also do the diploma it would be enough? It's basically the same modules and qualification just minus the points!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need to discuss this with the university. You can't simply try to accumulate points from anywhere, especially not without clearing it with them first. It's very unusual for them not to specify that at least some points must come from completed A2s, but if they have said they will take points from other sources, don't expect them to be flexible about where they come from. Don't sign up for courses in the hope they will overlook where they came from, because they won't. You need to discuss this with the university directly as a matter of urgency. Get on the phone before wasting time, money and effort on a course which won't help you. You can't second-guess their requirements, and nor can (or should) we.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You need to discuss this with the university. You can't simply try to accumulate points from anywhere, especially not without clearing it with them first. It's very unusual for them not to specify that at least some points must come from completed A2s, but if they have said they will take points from other sources, don't expect them to be flexible about where they come from. Don't sign up for courses in the hope they will overlook where they came from, because they won't. You need to discuss this with the university directly as a matter of urgency. Get on the phone before wasting time, money and effort on a course which won't help you. You can't second-guess their requirements, and nor can (or should) we.

Ok thanks!

Yeah on the website it says 280 points from at least 2 A Levels but then it says AS levels and key skills may count towards these points, and like I said I'm waiting to hear back from the admissions tutor to see if the course I told them would be ok! But yeah the requirements just confuse the hell outta me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucekp1
Ok thanks!

Yeah on the website it says 280 points from at least 2 A Levels but then it says AS levels and key skills may count towards these points, and like I said I'm waiting to hear back from the admissions tutor to see if the course I told them would be ok! But yeah the requirements just confuse the hell outta me

Posted from TSR Mobile

'From at least two A levels' means the full A2. You may add your AS points to these if you have not taken the subject to A2, but you cannot make up the total out of AS points alone. I think you will be disappointed by their answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending