The Student Room Group

4 A-Levels for Oxford??

I'm currently studying Maths, FM, Physics, History and French at AS. In terms of which to drop I'm ensure whether dropping both History and French would make me a less competitive applicant to Oxford (to study physics). Dropping both of these would leave with me the only subjects I really need for the course, though after attending a Oxbridge conferences etc. it seems they want to see your ability to handle the workload. Though arguably if I kept one of the subjects as a fourth A level, it wouldn't be in a related subject.

Will having just Maths, FM and Physics be enough? Would it be in anyway advantageous continuing History/French?

Also, I know some Universities don't regard Maths/FM as two distinctly separate A levels, so that could be another issue?
Reply 1
Original post by Frannoooooooo
I'm currently studying Maths, FM, Physics, History and French at AS. In terms of which to drop I'm ensure whether dropping both History and French would make me a less competitive applicant to Oxford (to study physics). Dropping both of these would leave with me the only subjects I really need for the course, though after attending a Oxbridge conferences etc. it seems they want to see your ability to handle the workload. Though arguably if I kept one of the subjects as a fourth A level, it wouldn't be in a related subject.

Will having just Maths, FM and Physics be enough? Would it be in anyway advantageous continuing History/French?

Also, I know some Universities don't regard Maths/FM as two distinctly separate A levels, so that could be another issue?

Hi there mate- I think it would be advantageous! Keep one! Personally I'd keep French over history too- languages are very useful and goes with anything whereas history is fairly irrelevant with history. Whilst doing three would be enough, 4 would make you standout more, and gives you a bitt of leeway. Basically if they want three A's it would mean your threee best A-Levels- so you can afford to screw one up if you get me.
I have an offer from Oxford (humanities subject) and I kept all my four from AS. The workload for A2 is more and it has been a challenge, but I've enjoyed it and overall I am glad I kept up my fourth subject (music). However, one thing to note is that my offer is for 3As but the college have specified that those As have to be in my three most 'academic' subjects. So, if you're doing it make sure you're doing it because you want to, not just to have one to fall back on because that might not actually be the case. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by indigorain
I have an offer from Oxford (humanities subject) and I kept all my four from AS. The workload for A2 is more and it has been a challenge, but I've enjoyed it and overall I am glad I kept up my fourth subject (music). However, one thing to note is that my offer is for 3As but the college have specified that those As have to be in my three most 'academic' subjects. So, if you're doing it make sure you're doing it because you want to, not just to have one to fall back on because that might not actually be the case. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The problem is I wouldn't be doing it to fall back on because I almost certainly wouldn't receive an offer including the fourth subjects; it would purely be to demonstrate the workload ability thing (and also because I do like the subject). So the only reason for me really continuing the fourth is to make me more competitive. Do you think having your fourth A level made you a more competitive applicant and have you heard any mention of this by any admissions people etc?

Well done on your offer by the way :biggrin:
Original post by Frannoooooooo
The problem is I wouldn't be doing it to fall back on because I almost certainly wouldn't receive an offer including the fourth subjects; it would purely be to demonstrate the workload ability thing (and also because I do like the subject). So the only reason for me really continuing the fourth is to make me more competitive. Do you think having your fourth A level made you a more competitive applicant and have you heard any mention of this by any admissions people etc?

Well done on your offer by the way :biggrin:

I've heard lots of mixed messages about whether or not they value it. I personally think it did make a difference to me getting the offer. I'd say if you feel like it is definitely not going to compromise your others, go for it! If it isn't in your offer and it gets too much doing four, just treat it as fun and don't stress about it (but you do have to sit everything you stated on UCAS).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I asked this question elsewhere but it seems like you guys would have a more legitimate answer... I'm doing full As and A2 course in year 12 coz of complications for a year 13...etc would Oxbridge be more lenient with my application? I know it's a bit daft grades are grades but 3 full A-Levels in one year is quite tough and it wasn't done out of choice...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest