The Student Room Group

Can i get into university with BCD/BDD at AS level

I really want to study economics, i currently take maths, psychology, law and BTEC Business. I probs will get a Distinction* in my AS btec business. but since its btec i doubt it would make a difference. Im probs going to get a B in psychology, C/D in Law, and a D in Maths. I underestimated A levels and the sole reason i will do awful is due to the fact i havent revised. I plan to retake most maths modules (it is my favourite subject) and plan to retake one law exam. When i talk about university i talk about middleish decent ones. Like De montford. I would also maybe like a BBB one because next year i honestly will work like mad i dont even care.
Reply 1
Of course your BTEC makes a difference! it is worth the same as 1 A level and 95% of universities accept BTECs, I got into uni (Royal Holloway) with my Extended BTEC in IT(worth 3 A levels) to study Computer Science (No A levels needed).

a D* will get recognised as an A* at A level in terms of university admission, a Distinction = A, Merit = C, Pass = E, aim for A*-B in your A levels and you will be able to get into a pretty good university.

However you want to study Economics? you will need to get a good grade in Maths to apply to highly ranked universities.

if they require UCAS points, a D* = 140 points, D = 120, M = 80, P = 40

De Montford - Entry Requirements for Economics:

A typical offer is 280 UCAS points. You need to study at least two subjects at A-level or equivalent (eg BTEC)

Link - http://www.dmu.ac.uk/documents/business-and-law-documents/undergraduate/ucas-tariff-points---a-level-and-btec-equivalents.pdf

University of Surrey (4th in UK overall, 6th for Economics) accept BTEC for either 'BSc Economics' or 'BSc Business Economics'

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by yt7777
Of course your BTEC makes a difference! it is worth the same as 1 A level and 95% of universities accept BTECs, I got into uni (Royal Holloway) with my Extended BTEC in IT(worth 3 A levels) to study Computer Science (No A levels needed).

a D* will get recognised as an A* at A level in terms of university admission, a Distinction = A, Merit = C, Pass = E, aim for A*-B in your A levels and you will be able to get into a pretty good university.

However you want to study Economics? you will need to get a good grade in Maths to apply to highly ranked universities.

if they require UCAS points, a D* = 140 points, D = 120, M = 80, P = 40
But im going to only get a C/D in Maths. If i resit next year and try get my predicted grade up to a B will they believe me? :frown:

De Montford - Entry Requirements for Economics:

A typical offer is 280 UCAS points. You need to study at least two subjects at A-level or equivalent (eg BTEC)

Link - http://www.dmu.ac.uk/documents/business-and-law-documents/undergraduate/ucas-tariff-points---a-level-and-btec-equivalents.pdf

Surrey (4th in UK overall, 6th for Economics) accept BTEC for either 'BSc Economics' or 'BSc Business Economics'

Hope this helps :smile:

But im going to get a C/D in Maths. If i say that i will get a grade predicted of a B and i hoenstly work hard and do resits will they make me an offer?
Reply 3
Original post by SunDun111
But im going to get a C/D in Maths. If i say that i will get a grade predicted of a B and i hoenstly work hard and do resits will they make me an offer?

You cant say that for sure, you might surprise yourself and get a A/B?

yeah probably would if you apply for an AAB course and get predictions of

Business - Distinction
Psychology or Law- A

however saying that, Surrey dont actually require Maths A level (providing you have an A at GCSE) so you could get

Business - D*/D
Psychology - A
Law - A

and still get an offer, however i would still pursue Maths as other top universities will want it.

and you could still get into De Montford with D*BE or D(Distinction)BD or D(Distinction)CC
(edited 8 years ago)

I wouldn't worry too much about your AS results.

I got:

Maths - C
Physics - C
Chemistry - D
Further Maths - E (dropped)
(And General Studies B but that doesn't count for much)

I applied for Manchester, Leicester, Leeds, Derby and Portsmouth. All of the universities gave me a conditional offer, so as long as I meet it, or maybe miss it by 1 grade I can get in.

The requirements were:

Leeds - AAA
Manchester - AAB (A in maths and either physics or chemistry)
Leicester - ABB (A in maths)
Portsmouth - 300 points
Derby -280 points

Don't forget though, A*AC is the same as AAB. So a D* means you can get a lower grade in something else, unless the university say otherwise. I know when I looked at Keele, to study maths you needed an A in maths, and then a B and a C in any other subjects.

Due to my somewhat disappointing results at AS, where like you I did no revision. (Surprised to have actually done as well as I did, even managed a B in some modules). This year at A2 I re took almost every AS exam.

Whilst it is possible to do this, I personally would not recommend it. I felt a lot of pressure this exam season, and so far I've done 6 of my 14 exams. Tomorrow is the 4th of this week, with another 4 next week and 3 the week after. Only now do I realise I should have worked harder in the first year!! At least I was lucky enough to have the chance to turn it around.
Reply 5
Original post by InaneRambler
I wouldn't worry too much about your AS results.

I got:

Maths - C
Physics - C
Chemistry - D
Further Maths - E (dropped)
(And General Studies B but that doesn't count for much)

I applied for Manchester, Leicester, Leeds, Derby and Portsmouth. All of the universities gave me a conditional offer, so as long as I meet it, or maybe miss it by 1 grade I can get in.

The requirements were:

Leeds - AAA
Manchester - AAB (A in maths and either physics or chemistry)
Leicester - ABB (A in maths)
Portsmouth - 300 points
Derby -280 points

Don't forget though, A*AC is the same as AAB. So a D* means you can get a lower grade in something else, unless the university say otherwise. I know when I looked at Keele, to study maths you needed an A in maths, and then a B and a C in any other subjects.

Due to my somewhat disappointing results at AS, where like you I did no revision. (Surprised to have actually done as well as I did, even managed a B in some modules). This year at A2 I re took almost every AS exam.

Whilst it is possible to do this, I personally would not recommend it. I felt a lot of pressure this exam season, and so far I've done 6 of my 14 exams. Tomorrow is the 4th of this week, with another 4 next week and 3 the week after. Only now do I realise I should have worked harder in the first year!! At least I was lucky enough to have the chance to turn it around.

I think i do have academic capability. For example i honestly revised a day before both my Psychology exams and think i've got an B or possibly scraped an A. In law i revised the day before one and think i got a high B and the day before the other (this one was hard one with application so i should of done some more revision) and probaby got a D so a C overall. In Maths i revised nothing for core 1, a bit for core 2 and i am revising 8 days before my mechanics exam but i still think ill get a C/D. I honestly think if i revise 3 months before my exams next year i should be fine if i resit. ?
I really want to study economics, i currently take maths, psychology, law and BTEC Business. I probs will get a Distinction* in my AS btec business. but since its btec i doubt it would make a difference. Im probs going to get a B in psychology, C/D in Law, and a D in Maths. I underestimated A levels and the sole reason i will do awful is due to the fact i havent revised. I plan to retake most maths modules (it is my favourite subject) and plan to retake one law exam. When i talk about university i talk about middleish decent ones. Like De montford. I would also maybe like a BBB one because next year i honestly will work like mad i dont even care.

Got ACD at AS and have an offer for Psychology from Newcastle so you can definitely get an offer
I think i do have academic capability. For example i honestly revised a day before both my Psychology exams and think i've got an B or possibly scraped an A. In law i revised the day before one and think i got a high B and the day before the other (this one was hard one with application so i should of done some more revision) and probaby got a D so a C overall. In Maths i revised nothing for core 1, a bit for core 2 and i am revising 8 days before my mechanics exam but i still think ill get a C/D. I honestly think if i revise 3 months before my exams next year i should be fine if i resit. ?

A day before isn't fantastic revision. There's only so much you can take in at once. This year I've done every single past paper for 5/6 exams so far. The level of commitment that is required is much much greater that you'd expect. Yes, it's true that AS seems much easier but A2 is still hard. There's no denying that, especially in maths I would say.

For mechanics revision I'd recommend a guy on youtube called Jack Brown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7nIlU4bTUM&list=PLg2tfDG3Ww4uttdniad2aGOOEKAH8u-rU

Whilst I haven't used his mechanics videos the ones for Core3 and Stats have been very very helpful in developing my understanding.

You probably would be fine if you re sit. Just make sure you haven't overestimated your performance this year. At my college if you don't get the minimum of a D you can't progress to the next year. And if you do get a D like I did, I would say it's worthwhile re sitting every AS exam, and not just one.
Hey guys,
I just finished my AS exams and I'm predicting 3As and a B. I got 7A* 2A and 1C at GCSE. What unis do you think its possible for me to get into in London?
Original post by RehanJak98
Hey guys,
I just finished my AS exams and I'm predicting 3As and a B. I got 7A* 2A and 1C at GCSE. What unis do you think its possible for me to get into in London?

Why London? There's a whole other country out there!
I live in Malawi, Africa. Gotta go to London cause I got family there:s-smilie:. Anyways, what do you think? UCL? KCL? QMUL?
Original post by RehanJak98
I live in Malawi, Africa. Gotta go to London cause I got family there:s-smilie:. Anyways, what do you think? UCL? KCL? QMUL?

depends on the subject you're going for.
Either Law or Dentistry.
Reply 13
A day before isn't fantastic revision. There's only so much you can take in at once. This year I've done every single past paper for 5/6 exams so far. The level of commitment that is required is much much greater that you'd expect. Yes, it's true that AS seems much easier but A2 is still hard. There's no denying that, especially in maths I would say.

For mechanics revision I'd recommend a guy on youtube called Jack Brown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7nIlU4bTUM&list=PLg2tfDG3Ww4uttdniad2aGOOEKAH8u-rU

Whilst I haven't used his mechanics videos the ones for Core3 and Stats have been very very helpful in developing my understanding.

You probably would be fine if you re sit. Just make sure you haven't overestimated your performance this year. At my college if you don't get the minimum of a D you can't progress to the next year. And if you do get a D like I did, I would say it's worthwhile re sitting every AS exam, and not just one.

I loved jack brown videos, he helped me but he dosent have a series on mechanics?
I loved jack brown videos, he helped me but he dosent have a series on mechanics?

Yeah, he doesn't have a series on it. But he does go through the 2013 exam paper question by question which I think is very useful
Reply 15
Yeah, he doesn't have a series on it. But he does go through the 2013 exam paper question by question which I think is very useful

I need to learn projectiles fully over the weekend, any place that covers it in full?
Hi!

DMU definitely look for the follow... "and you could still get into De Montford with D*BE or D(Distinction)BD or D(Distinction)CC"

The comments above are also correct, lots of universities accept BTECs so don't worry about that.

yt7777 has given you some great advice! Once you know you are capable of the entry requirements the next step would be to go and visit the universities you are looking at. DMU offer campus tours - this is a great opportunity to see the facilities and talk to a current about life at DMU. We also have an Open Day coming up on 4th July - info about the day and to book can be found at www.dmu.ac.uk/opendays

If you need any advice let me know :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by De Montfort University
Hi!

DMU definitely look for the follow... "and you could still get into De Montford with D*BE or D(Distinction)BD or D(Distinction)CC"

The comments above are also correct, lots of universities accept BTECs so don't worry about that.

yt7777 has given you some great advice! Once you know you are capable of the entry requirements the next step would be to go and visit the universities you are looking at. DMU offer campus tours - this is a great opportunity to see the facilities and talk to a current about life at DMU. We also have an Open Day coming up on 4th July - info about the day and to book can be found at www.dmu.ac.uk/opendays

If you need any advice let me know :smile:

I've been before my sister went to dmu, thanks for assuring me. Would you think it is needed to take all four a levels to a2? Would this be looked at favourably if I applied to de montford?
I've been before my sister went to dmu, thanks for assuring me. Would you think it is needed to take all four a levels to a2? Would this be looked at favourably if I applied to de montford?

That is no problem at all. Well taking them forward would certainly increase your overall UCAS point total, however if you hoped to drop one to focus on the others then that is possible as well.

As our requirements state, 280 UCAS points from at least two A Level subjects, therefore we would only require two full A Levels. For example, you would be able to use an AS Level to help boost the UCAS points you have in total.

It is completely up to you and how you feel really. I hope this has been useful. If you have any other questions then feel free to ask!
Reply 19
Original post by De Montfort University
That is no problem at all. Well taking them forward would certainly increase your overall UCAS point total, however if you hoped to drop one to focus on the others then that is possible as well.

As our requirements state, 280 UCAS points from at least two A Level subjects, therefore we would only require two full A Levels. For example, you would be able to use an AS Level to help boost the UCAS points you have in total.

It is completely up to you and how you feel really. I hope this has been useful. If you have any other questions then feel free to ask!

Thank you I'd like to keep mathematics, I know if I resist the modules next year I will do better. Thank you for help

Quick Reply

Latest