The Student Room Group

Am I a dissapointment?

I got BCD in my A-Levels, way off my predictions and I am extremely disappointed in myself. I have had to go through clearing and entered Computer Science with Foundation Year at Surrey, family and friends have not said much but I feel the disappointment weighing down on me. I revised quite a lot but I did horrible.
Original post by HH04
I got BCD in my A-Levels, way off my predictions and I am extremely disappointed in myself. I have had to go through clearing and entered Computer Science with Foundation Year at Surrey, family and friends have not said much but I feel the disappointment weighing down on me. I revised quite a lot but I did horrible.

Hi @HH04

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way. Firstly I want to say that there is nothing wrong with going through clearing and doing a foundation year. Many students take this route and find that it was the best decision they could have made. It sounds like you worked hard and achieved good results, they are certainly not horrible. You should definitely be proud of yourself! But of course I understand that's easier said than done.

What I would say is to reflect on the fact that you got into university which is a massive achievement in itself. University is very different from A-Levels, especially as you get to fully focus on the one subject that you are interested in. I hope you have the best time in University! :smile:

Emily
First Year Creative Writing Student
Original post by HH04

Hey @HH04

I’m sorry you didn’t get the grades you were hoping for. Try to remember that you did your best and that’s more than enough- you’ve got into university- congratulations! You should be incredibly proud of yourself! There is nothing wrong with securing a place through clearing. It won’t make a difference to the teaching you get, and even if you’re A levels feel like a massive deal at the moment, they probably won’t feel as important in a couple of years' time. Have an amazing time at uni!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by HH04

Hey @HH04 :smile:

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling disappointed in yourself - you shouldn't be, getting into university is an incredible achievement and you've done so well to get your grades, just think of all the hard work and dedication you've put into your studies. Remember, grades don't define you or your future. Your university journey will be a new and exciting chapter in your life, so try and stay positive and look forward to what's ahead! You're gonna do great! :smile:

Find all the positives in entering the foundation year - it provides you with the chance to strengthen your foundational knowledge, develop study skills, confidence and help you transition into uni life :smile:

Another way to look for positives during this time is to reflect on how you studied before, the revision techniques you used, what worked well and what didn't work well, so you can apply new things to your studies at university.

Well done again, and I'm wishing you all the best for your university journey! #BeResultsProud

Becky
Without repeating what others have said, you are not a disappointment at all!

There are thousands of people on foundation year, and even access to HE courses, it does not mean you have terrible grades either. A lot of people don't fully understand what a foundation year is so try explaining this to them. It's always an amazing time to get to grips with the transition to University and then when you go into your 'first year' you will be ahead of others and be able to hit the ground running!
Original post by HH04

Hi there!

Well done on getting into Surrey! :biggrin:

I myself have done a foundation year, after getting even lower grades than you (I think BCD is amazing). I felt exactly the same way, but over time you realise that you're at uni just like everyone else, with varied A-Level grades. Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? No. Try not to overthink how others see you, because more likely than not, they're not judging you, and if they are, they're not really your friends. That was the moral of the story for me, as I slowly discovered that no one really cared what I got for GCSE/A-Level. Also, once you've graduated and got a job, your grades (even at university) will matter less and less over time, as you learn that experience is what moves you, not your grades.

Let it be a motivator for you to do even better at university, and thrive.

Hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc

Quick Reply

Latest