The Student Room Group

Ramadan (fasting) and working out. Need to bulk.

So I was about to join my local gym at home. But its only a three months contracts minimum. Ramadan starts soon, so I don't want to pay for a wasted month. I'll join after ramadan as I can't work out hard on an empty stomach. (Gym isn't 24 hours)

So at home, what workouts can I do? I have some weights, so I could do some curls, shoulder press etc. Granted not as heavy as I'd like, I could buy a weight plate or two if needed.

But I don't want to cut or else I'd end up a bag of bones, and bulking would be too difficult. Would I be good to do some lifting and exercise to build a little muscle and keep active/get fitter?

I have some whey I could take to help get my protein, and maybe drink an oats shake to get more calories to make sure I don't lose weight or lose too much.
Reply 1
FWIW a lot of guys do manage to lift fasted and just don't expect it to be as good as normal. Drinking calories is probably wise to stuff in as much as possible during eating times.

Start keeping an eye on on gumtree or any FB local for sale groups and you should be able to pick up some plates for a good price. Folk are always buying DB sets with good intentions then realising a year later they never use them and wanting rid.

If you're hitting it lighter than normal I'd probably go full body every session, do a push, pull, core and legs at least rotating between exercises if you want. Like:
floor press, OHP, (weighted) dips
pull up/chin/weighted, DB row
endless core options
whatever squat variations you can get working best- goblet, hack, single leg (standing on a stool if it's easier), depending on your DBs you might manage to get a workable front squat position. Some single leg deadlifts or Romanian/stiff leg

Add in some curls, tris, shoulder press variations, some flies as you can be bothered

Probably not much real point in worrying about progression, you're going to be aiming for maintenance so just do something that feels like you are working.
Reply 2
You want some real advice? Post on the Bodybuilding Forums.

If you want to add mass, make sure it is lean... i.e do not eat more than 200/500 above your metabolic needs. Calculate your needs by doing a quick google search. This might seem common sense, that your body has a limit on what nutrients are used to rebuild muscle - but I've had friends on diets of 4k calories that burn 2.5k because they believed the extra 1.5k were all going into their muscles. Nope.

You can't really do much during Ramadan as you need to keep hydrated for optimal gain but if you did want a routine there are many you can do with just Dumbbells, be sure not to purchase the vinyl (crap plastic) ones and only the cast iron sets (last forever).

Google for "dumbbell only programmes" , plenty of excercises e.g Dumbell Rows, Bench Presses w/ DBs, Hammer Curls, Lat Raises, Front Raises, Concentrated Curls, Incline Curls, DB Pull Overs, and you would probably want to do this an hour or two after you eat.

Nobody in the world recommends you do strength-building excercises on a fast, this is because if you decide to do some strength training on no food basis you will become weaker as you won't be able to rebuild without nutrients. Light strength hr/2 before iftaar isn't problem, excercising afterwards is more than recommended.

Pretty much gains are stopped for muslims throughout the holy month. Most likely you will gain higher BF through Ramdan.

Also when you do start follow a a 5x5 (i.e ICF) programme for 1-3 months and then afterwards a high volume (i.e low weigh 4x10 w/drop x3) for the same period to see which works best for you. Theres a lot of bro science and utter crap out there so filter through that by reading up. Only productive muscle-related thing you can actually do in Ramadan is read up and educate yourself on proper form etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Accept you're not going to have any increases in your strength or size while fasting. It's only a month anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest