The Student Room Group

Alcohol

Hi

I drink a bottle of wine or a few beers every evening. I'm wondering what people think about this and how damaging it is for me. I don't really feel any urge to drink or get upset when I don't.

Cheers
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

I drink a bottle of wine or a few beers every evening. I'm wondering what people think about this and how damaging it is for me. I don't really feel any urge to drink or get upset when I don't.

Cheers

You should go to AA then?
Hi, this is just my opinion but if you don't have any urge to drink alcohol then don't! Because at the end of the day it's bad for your health. Just drink something else like an energy drink or just watar :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Valyrian
You should go to AA then?

Why? AA is for alcoholics and I'm not one of those, as I made clear.

I'm wondering what informed people make of the health implications. For example, I read an article saying that a bottle of wine a day was good for your heart and blood circulation.
Not a bottle, a glass. But it's your life, do whatever makes you happy.
yeah but probably best not to get into the habit of it also , like, if you say you could survive getting shot there's not reason to go out and get shot just to prove it, if you understand me
Reply 7
Original post by MARKMARKMARKMARK
yeah but probably best not to get into the habit of it also , like, if you say you could survive getting shot there's not reason to go out and get shot just to prove it, if you understand me

Getting shot isn't quite as enjoyable as getting intoxicated though. I don't drink to prove myself, I mostly do it alone with some media accompaniement.

Original post by Yesyes121
Not a bottle, a glass. But it's your life, do whatever makes you happy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/a-bottle-of-wine-a-day-is-not-bad-for-you-and-abstaining-is-worse-than-drinking-scientist-claims-9271010.html
Reply 8
Hi

Cheers

That's above the recommended allowance. Cut down if you want to keep your liver.
Reply 9
I drink a lot but not with that continued regularity. You need to give yourself a couple of days to recover.
Original post by 9910224
That's above the recommended allowance. Cut down if you want to keep your liver.

I am sceptical about the recommended daily allowance. There are plenty of doctors and scientists that don't take it seriously, like this one from the WHO http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/a-bottle-of-wine-a-day-is-not-bad-for-you-and-abstaining-is-worse-than-drinking-scientist-claims-9271010.html and we all know what the nanny state is like. Do you also only take in your RDA of salt, fat, sugar, do you do the recommended weekly exercise hours? Do you sleep eight hours a day?
I am sceptical about the recommended daily allowance. There are plenty of doctors and scientists that don't take it seriously, like this one from the WHO http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/a-bottle-of-wine-a-day-is-not-bad-for-you-and-abstaining-is-worse-than-drinking-scientist-claims-9271010.html and we all know what the nanny state is like. Do you also only take in your RDA of salt, fat, sugar, do you do the recommended weekly exercise hours? Do you sleep eight hours a day?

That's true. I definitely keep a good eye on salt and sugar; my lifestyle doesn't really allow me to meet the quota for sleep and I tend to catch up on it with naps.

But if you're happy and you think you're healthy, fair enough. Just don't start bitching if any alcohol-associated health problems come up.

Eh that's true. I stand by my original statement that you should do whatever makes you happy.

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/news/20140814/amount-alcohol

How can you use one article to justify it lol. There isnt even any scientific evidence? Theres also claims against the one-bottle-a-day is healthy argument in the same article, so it's not for/against. There are many studies out there with actual evidence saying the opposite, and it's common knowledge alcohol is a toxin.
I dont understand the point of this thread tbh? Nobody cares if you drink your one bottle a day or about your health, find a better source otherwise your debate is not even valid.

I'm wondering what informed people make of the health implications. For example, I read an article saying that a bottle of wine a day was good for your heart and blood circulation.

Denial is one of the stages of alcoholism.

If you're drinking a bottle of wine every evening you probably are an alcoholic, functional and in denial most likely. If you're so sure you're not an alcoholic then stop.
A bottle?

Every night?

lol mate...
I thought I ws bad.
just stop drinking for a week, if you feel you cant cope then you've got a problem if you're fine without then its not a problem, the only underlying point is don't make it a habit because it can be hard to break a habit but even harder to spot when you've got one especially with drugs, and the only benefit of alcohol is social bonding, you've got to ask yourself why are you drinking?

Quick Reply

Latest