The Student Room Group

Psychology and Law joint honours

I am thinking of doing a career in Law, however I know that you don't have to necessarily do a law degree to achieve this.
I really enjoy psychology and have just finished my AS exam in it. I was thinking of doing a psychology degree at university followed by a Law conversion course. However recently I have been presented with the idea of a psychology and Law joint honors degree?
What would you recommend and which path may be better? I've heard that staying away from joint honors is advisable due to the 2 different departments? Help!
Thank you!
Original post by tynika.thornton
I am thinking of doing a career in Law, however I know that you don't have to necessarily do a law degree to achieve this.
I really enjoy psychology and have just finished my AS exam in it. I was thinking of doing a psychology degree at university followed by a Law conversion course. However recently I have been presented with the idea of a psychology and Law joint honors degree?
What would you recommend and which path may be better? I've heard that staying away from joint honors is advisable due to the 2 different departments? Help!
Thank you!

I'm only an AS student, but as it seems, your passion appears to be in psychology. If I were you, in order to give you a good understanding in the law, I would do the psychology degree and then a conversion course, simply because you may change your mind halfway through and decide against law, to pursue a more psychologically based career. However, if you are unsure of the cost of the conversion course, joint honours are probably for you. I intend on doing Law with Spanish - but not Law and Spanish... Just try to find a course that you will enjoy the most.

But please remember that I'm just an AS student and all I know comes from speaking to people and online research
Thank you so much! Been doing so much online research so good to have someone else's viewpoint besides a web page!
I know what you mean! It's hard for specific ones, like I'm not sure whether to go for Sheffield or Leicester for one of my options for Law with Spanish... I did a post on it about an hour ago but no responses yet 😣
With law degrees, if the degree is a ba instead of an llb (which some law and ... joint honours courses are) you will still have to do a law conversion course. If this is the case, I'd recommend just doing psychology (if that's where your heart is) and then a law conversion course. You're more likely to do better in your degree if you love what your studying, and firms / chambers will be more worried about your class of degree as opposed to what you've studied. :smile:
Some BAs are fine for a law job though, like Oxbridge's and Nottingham's BAs in law are qualifying degrees, so it might be worth checking with the uni if you want to do a BA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ifyouseelaura
With law degrees, if the degree is a ba instead of an llb (which some law and ... joint honours courses are) you will still have to do a law conversion course. If this is the case, I'd recommend just doing psychology (if that's where your heart is) and then a law conversion course. You're more likely to do better in your degree if you love what your studying, and firms / chambers will be more worried about your class of degree as opposed to what you've studied. :smile:

I've seen that the Oxford BA fully qualifies you without a conversion, however others seem a bit more dubious! Thank you for the advice, really appreciate the help! I think I'm equally passionate about psychology and law at the moment..!
My advice is to stay away from a Law degree that provides you with a BA like the poster above said you will still have to do a conversion course so unless your going to do a qualifying law degree (LLB) you might as well just do Psychology and then a conversion course later or law with Phycology if it is qualifying but the downside will be it will be law focused with a tad of psychology throw in. This is a problem that my sister is having at the minute she two wants to do something similar and is finishing her AS courses. And that is the advice I have given to her as a Law student myself I study Just Law LLB I believe the course code is M100. Hope you find this helpful :smile:
Brill thank you! What has been the best and worst bits of doing just a law LLB for you? And what uni are you at? Thanks :smile:
Ohh that's a question and a half I guess it really depends on the individual, I find that not the worse as such but defiantly one of the more tedious sides is reading through cases, while it is true that you get quicker at it over time it is still a lot to take in for the first few months. Also the amount of work that you have to do compared to your friends on other courses can mean that there's not always as much time to go out as much or spend as much time working part time (but you can still fit it in). On the flip side this isn't necacerilally a bad thing you can get close to people on your course and spend time working through things together, it makes it far more tolerable if your practicing your moot in the pub with friends:wink: As for the modules I think that depends a lot on personal preference for example I love contract and public law but I cant stand EU law while people on my course are the complete opposite but I suppose you get that with every course. The best bit for me is probably developing that understanding of the principles that hold society together you look at everything in a completely different way. I'm at Nottingham Trent it's a good law school not the best by a long way, and certainly not my first choice but I was limited by personal circumstance at the time. However it dose have a fantastic reputation for post graduate law courses apparently. and existing students get a fee reduction so I guess that's a bonus.

I Hope that's answered your question if you want to be a bit more specific, I'll try and give a better/ more specific response:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
If you go down the joint honours route you also need to ensure that the psychology side is accredited by BPS - otherwise like a BA in law it will be useless for a career/further study in a psychology discipline.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending