The Student Room Group

D&D Religion's "Ask About Judaism" Thread

Scroll to see replies

If a theist gets cryogenically frozen, does he/she go to heaven? I got this from this user: SunderX. Thought it would be an interesting question.
What is the jewish view on Jesus and his second coming.
Z_Ahmed
What is the jewish view on Jesus and his second coming.

Jesus was a false prophet encouraging fellow Jews to turn away from the law of God. I do not know whether he will have a second coming or not. If he does it will be alongside all other Jews at the time of Messiah when the dead will arise for an eternity of reward.
Annoying-Mouse
If a theist gets cryogenically frozen, does he/she go to heaven? I got this from this user: SunderX. Thought it would be an interesting question.

No, they go to Snowman Heaven. :ahee:

But seriously, I am unsure. The belief is that there is no hell anyway so I'd assume at some point they would, however your question can be answered with scientific evidence pointing to when the person actually dies.
Reply 1984
Are there any signs for the coming of the messiah?
Sakujo
Are there any signs for the coming of the messiah?

It's doubtful given that there have been times when people thought the messiah was coming but he did not.
I'd like to ask a question about why G-d punishes the best people in this world.

This morning, one of my friends passed away. She was 19. She had cancer.
She was the most incredible person you could ever meet. She was kind, and very intelligent, and a brilliant person overall.
We have 2,000 people in our Jewish community in Liverpool. Almost every single person knew her. And every single one that knew her, knew how amazing she was.
That could be seen from the funeral; almost 1000 people turned up to it, half the whole community! And it was in a tiny cemetery.

I want to know why G-d would do such a thing to this amazing person who wouldn't hurt a fly.
R.I.P
Reply 1987
chernij
I'd like to ask a question about why G-d punishes the best people in this world.

She was the most incredible person you could ever meet. She was kind, and very intelligent, and a brilliant person overall.
That could be seen from the funeral; almost 1000 people turned up to it, and it was in a tiny cemetery.

I want to know why G-d would do such a thing to this amazing person who wouldn't hurt a fly.
R.I.P

Im not Jewish. Sadly your friend died and everyone dies, that is Gods law. If you believe in the afterlife then God did her a favor by taking her away from this world. Following his commands in this day and age is not easy and someone who is religious would probably tell you that they are envious of her. This is not a place to become attached to, its a place of burden, hardship, struggle, sadness, pain, disappointment, deterioration etc. If you believe in the afterlife and if your friend does then death comes as a relief.

Also what would your friend want. For your death to turn you into a biter person who is angry with God?
chernij

We have 2,000 people in our Jewish community in Liverpool. Almost every single person knew her. And every single one that knew her, knew how amazing she was.
That could be seen from the funeral; almost 1000 people turned up to it, half the whole community! And it was in a tiny cemetery.

R.I.P

I'm very sorry to hear that.

The truth is that we don't know why God chooses to take someone from us either when He does or in the manner that He does. We trust that he has a plan and that all is for the good.

Jewish sources tell us, though, that sometimes God will punish the most righteous as a form of atonement for the rest of the generation. I think that the idea is that when something terrible happens to someone that shocks us we need to stop and think. Often we just let things happen and don't think about the world around us and just carry on as normal. When someone special passes away, especially as a young person, we should take stock of our own lives. Are we spending our limited time correctly? Are we living to be the best we can be?

I hope these words can offer you some comfort in this difficult time.
chernij

R.I.P

I'm so sorry. As my mum says, God has challenges for everyone, and her's was particularly tough, but she fought bravely and she will be rewarded for her bravery and for being such a wonderful person. The fact that so many people knew and loved her just goes to show what an amazing person she must have been.

I hope you're okay, if you ever need to talk and all that :hugs:
Reply 1990
chernij

R.I.P

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

I'm not a Jew but a Muslim, but I'm sure something similar exists in Judaism.

We are taught in Islam that everyone shall die, no one can escape from death, if your friend wasn't to die now she would die eventually. We are also taught that this life will tough, hard and that it won't be easy. This life isn't paradise, it is a test.

4We have certainly created man into hardship.

As a test you will go through difficult and easy times to see how you react. This is one of those difficult times where patient is best. You know even the closest people to God suffered greatly, Joseph was thrown into a well, became a slave and spent many years in prison before becoming a king. His father Jacob lost his sight out of grief of losing his son Joseph.

84And he turned away from them and said, "Oh, my sorrow over Joseph," and his eyes became white from grief, for he was [of that] a suppressor [of grief] .

Finally I want to say this. With all due respect, you're assuming that the death of your friend was all bad. It may be that she was to commit a grave sin in the near future or that her death may have prompted some of the 1000 people you mention to revitalise their relationship with God. We only know the present but God knows best.

I hope I haven't offended you in any way and that you have found some comfort in these difficult times.
roots
Im not Jewish. Sadly your friend died and everyone dies, that is Gods law. If you believe in the afterlife then God did her a favor by taking her away from this world. Following his commands in this day and age is not easy and someone who is religious would probably tell you that they are envious of her. This is not a place to become attached to, its a place of burden, hardship, struggle, sadness, pain, disappointment, deterioration etc. If you believe in the afterlife and if your friend does then death comes as a relief.

Also what would your friend want. For your death to turn you into a biter person who is angry with God?

That's all true. Thank you for the support. I really appreciate it.
UniOfLife
I'm very sorry to hear that.

The truth is that we don't know why God chooses to take someone from us either when He does or in the manner that He does. We trust that he has a plan and that all is for the good.

Jewish sources tell us, though, that sometimes God will punish the most righteous as a form of atonement for the rest of the generation. I think that the idea is that when something terrible happens to someone that shocks us we need to stop and think. Often we just let things happen and don't think about the world around us and just carry on as normal. When someone special passes away, especially as a young person, we should take stock of our own lives. Are we spending our limited time correctly? Are we living to be the best we can be?

I hope these words can offer you some comfort in this difficult time.

They do comfort me. Thank you very much. I remember hearing that too, but I keep telling myself it can't be possible. She easily accounted for 2+ generations. Easily.
Thanks again.
moregano
I'm so sorry. As my mum says, God has challenges for everyone, and her's was particularly tough, but she fought bravely and she will be rewarded for her bravery and for being such a wonderful person. The fact that so many people knew and loved her just goes to show what an amazing person she must have been.

I hope you're okay, if you ever need to talk and all that :hugs:

True. Thank you. I appreciate it :smile: :hugs:
Sakujo
I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

I'm not a Jew but a Muslim, but I'm sure something similar exists in Judaism.

We are taught in Islam that everyone shall die, no one can escape from death, if your friend wasn't to die now she would die eventually. We are also taught that this life will tough, hard and that it won't be easy. This life isn't paradise, it is a test.

4We have certainly created man into hardship.

As a test you will go through difficult and easy times to see how you react. This is one of those difficult times where patient is best. You know even the closest people to God suffered greatly, Joseph was thrown into a well, became a slave and spent many years in prison before becoming a king. His father Jacob lost his sight out of grief of losing his son Joseph.

84And he turned away from them and said, "Oh, my sorrow over Joseph," and his eyes became white from grief, for he was [of that] a suppressor [of grief] .

Finally I want to say this. With all due respect, you're assuming that the death of your friend was all bad. It may be that she was to commit a grave sin in the near future or that her death may have prompted some of the 1000 people you mention to revitalise their relationship with God. We only know the present but God knows best.

I hope I haven't offended you in any way and that you have found some comfort in these difficult times.

That hasn't offended me at all. It has definitely comforting. Thank you.
Where was G-d during the Holocaust and what are the views of members of the Jewish community on the issue?
Where was God in Rwanda? In New York on 9/11? In London in July 07? God does not provide reasons as to why he does or does not intervene, we have to have faith and trust in his actions.

Personally, I've been told that God was not silent during the Holocaust, but that it was ultimately caused by humans who did not listen to his word. As humans we have free will, we can choose to ignore God, and when we do, there's nothing he can do to save us from our own evil actions.

The fact that the Jewish people survived the Holocaust could be interpreted as a miracle in itself.
(edited 3 years ago)
moregano
Where was God in Rwanda? In New York on 9/11? In London in July 07? God does not provide reasons as to why he does or does not intervene, we have to have faith and trust in his actions.

Personally, I've been told that God was not silent during the Holocaust, but that it was ultimately caused by humans who did not listen to his word. As humans we have free will, we can choose to ignore God, and when we do, there's nothing he can do to save us from our own evil actions.

The fact that the Jewish people survived the Holocaust could be interpreted as a miracle in itself.

But, jewish people are the chosen one?
Annoying-Mouse
But, jewish people are the chosen one?

"Chosen" in the sense of being given a special set of responsibilities in return for closeness to God. There is nothing (as far as I'm aware) to suggest that God would, or indeed has in the past, "protect" the Jews from the actions of humans over any other people.
Shalom!
I didn't they had this, but I have a question, what is the Jewish view of people commiting adultery? Do they obtain punishment?
Reply 1998
Magic_007
Shalom!
I didn't they had this, but I have a question, what is the Jewish view of people commiting adultery? Do they obtain punishment?

From what I know there is no 'punishment' as there is in Islam. I presume it is humiliating and the man would seek a divorce?

To Moregano: The Jews do in fact have special protection from God if you believe in the old testament, which is why they are here today.
Harris
To Moregano: The Jews do in fact have special protection from God if you believe in the old testament, which is why they are here today.

I worded that badly. By "protection" I meant protection from suffering, persecution etc (the original question was about the Holocaust and why it happened). Protection from ultimate extinction as a group is something else entirely.

Magic_007
Shalom!

Adultery is technically stated in the Torah as punishable by death, but realistically this does not happen and it is mostly interpreted as a way of conveying the severity of the crime, rather than what the punishment should be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending