The Student Room Group

How does applying to university through clearing with already having A2's work?

I've resat year 12 so I've been in sixthform for 3 years now and just nearly finished my exams.I was predicted AAC but long story short I messed up one exam in particular and I now think I am going to get BCC this August.
I wanted a gap year and I was unsure what course to apply to so when everyone did their uni application through UCAS in September of last year I decided I want to apply AFTER I get my results.
Now I've realised this was a terrible idea as I will already have my existing grades of BCC and will be more likely to get rejected, typically if my predicted grades would have been AAC i could apply for BBB type unis and potentially still get in with BCC! URGH!
I dont even know what uni's I can apply for now :frown: I cant apply for ones higher than my existing grades
My question is how does clearing work as in my position currently it'll probably be my only option. I dont understand how it would work for someone applying AFTER getting their A2 grades the previous year its not like as if I'm unexpectedly waiting for a bad results days result? When does clearing even open/how can you apply if you already have existing A2 grades. I tried looking online and it did not help, I m so confused and need help! :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Xanet
I've resat year 12 so I've been in sixthform for 3 years now and just nearly finished my exams.I was predicted AAC but long story short I messed up one exam in particular and I now think I am going to get BCC this August.
I wanted a gap year and I was unsure what course to apply to so when everyone did their uni application through UCAS in September of last year I decided I want to apply AFTER I get my results.
Now I've realised this was a terrible idea as I will already have my existing grades of BCC and will be more likely to get rejected, typically if my predicted grades would have been AAC i could apply for BBB type unis and potentially still get in with BCC! URGH!
I dont even know what uni's I can apply for now :frown: I cant apply for ones higher than my existing grades
My question is how does clearing work as in my position currently it'll probably be my only option. I dont understand how it would work for someone applying AFTER getting their A2 grades the previous year its not like as if I'm unexpectedly waiting for a bad results days result? When does clearing even open/how can you apply if you already have existing A2 grades. I tried looking online and it did not help, I m so confused and need help! :frown:
If you haven't put in an application for this year (ie 2015 entry) you will need to do so before you can use Clearing, so you'll need to get on with that now.

Everyone going through Clearing is applying with actual not predicted grades. Thousands of people with grades similar to BCC get places through Clearing every year. However, if you don't want to start university in 2015, Clearing won't be a good option for you, even if the unis would consider you for a deferred entry place. You'd be better off making a proper application for 2016, when you will be able to choose from the full range of unis/courses available. Until you've got your actual grades to hand, it's impossible to say which unis you could consider applying for. You definitely should not be thinkiing in terms of waiting until Clearing 2016 to apply with grades you'll have achieved in August.

It is true that headline requirements for some courses do get reduced in Clearing, so you *may* stand a better chance of getting into a BBB uni with BCC that way - but there are no guarantees. If you had applied with AAC predictions and achieved BCC against a BBB offer, it's actually unlikely that the uni in question would have accepted you anyway, so I doubt if you've lost out as you think by not applying last September.

You might find Guide to Clearing useful.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending