The Student Room Group

A level+ 2023 Results Day Countdown It’s here! #BeResultsProud we’ve got this!

Poll

How are you feeling?

Results day is looming and TSR tradition means we have to have a countdown thread for everyone to get to know each other, talk about their hopes/fears and generally relax (as well as sharing advice and information before the big day).* We'll update this post with pointers to advice and support soon but for now introduce yourselves
You can watch a count down clock here: https://countingdownto.com/?c=4838763

Introduce yourself
1. AS or A level? (Or BTEC or other qualification with a 17 August Results day)
2. What subjects?
For Yr 13:
3. What university is your firm/insurance?
4. Which subject?
5. What grades are required?
6. Going to uni this year or taking a gap year?

For everyone:
7. What grades are you predicted?
8. How are you feeling about results day?
9. Anything else to add?

FAQs
RESULTS
When can I collect my results from school/college?
That depends on the arrangements your school/college make - if you don't know the details then ring them up on Wednesday the 16th (there should be someone in that day) and ask.

How do I collect my results online?
Again, this depends on your exam boards and/or your school/college. If you don't know then ask them directly.

When do unis get our results?
UCAS get the results from the exam boards approximately a week before results day. They spend a day or two matching them to your applications and then send them on to universities either overnight Friday/Saturday.
Universities then spend Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday MANUALLY comparing every offer to the results to decide whether applicants have met their offers or not (and if not whether they can be accepted with lower grades).

I've change my mind about the course/university I want to go to - what do I do?
See this article https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/changing-your-mind-about-your-firm-or-insurance-choice
NOTE: the deadline for reply swaps is 21 July and NOT the 30 June as stated in that article!

Track on Results Day

When will UCAS update?
UCAS will go live AFTER 8am on results day. UCAS say 8am - it used to go live a little earlier, but the embargo time that UCAS and universities work to has been pushed back from 6am to 8am this year so it WILL NOT be before 8am. The embargo agreement is between UCAS, Universities and A level Exam Boards - no one is going to risk getting in trouble by releasing information early.

It WON'T go live at midnight.
Once it "goes live" EVERYONE will be able to see any decisions that their universities have sent to UCAS.* Just because it's live doesn't mean it will update for everyone. About 100,000 people every year don't get a clear answer from UCAS first thing on Results Day - they have to collect their results and then ring up their firm/insurance uni.

My UCAS didn't change - is it worth hitting refresh until it does?
NO - once UCAS goes live again it then gets re-frozen in that state (because UCAS need to handle everyone and their dog hitting refresh constantly).
UCAS WILL NOT CHANGE between 8am and midday. Hitting refresh just slows things down for everyone else.
Your university MIGHT have sent you a message through the UCAS Hub saying why your application hasn't been updated. This is new for 2023 and we haven't had any previews about how that will look or where to find it but it's worth clicking into your application to see if there's any more details there.

Give yourself some good karma - get off UCAS hub and go and have a look on the UCAS course search, get together your contact numbers for your unis, top your phone up with credit (and charge it) and get your results from school/college.

what will UCAS show?

It depends how quick your universities are. There's a lot of scenarios. The post below gives an idea of what might show, what that means and what you need to do about that.
Use the flowchart at the end of this post as a quick reference

UCAS are supposed to be improving the layout and information on the UCAS Hub on results day for 2023 - but they haven't released any screenshots about what that will look like

Track scenarios
Original post by PQ
Ok let's break it down
Firm is X, insurance is Y
X -CF, Y-CI - neither has decided ring firm
X-CF, Y-UI - insurance has accepted but firm not decided. Ring firm
X-CF, Y-R - insurance has rejected, firm not decided. Ring firm.
X-UF, Y-CI, firm accepted, insurance not decided. Celebrate.
X-UF, Y-UI, both accepted. You're going to your firm. Celebrate.
X-UF, Y-R, firm accepted, insurance rejected. You're going to your firm. Celebrate.
X-R, Y-CF firm rejected, insurance not deciding. Ring insurance.
X-R, Y-UF firm rejected, insurance accepted. Celebrate
X-R, Y-R both rejected. You're in clearing.

This ignores changed course offers which either university can make.

Both universities do their own thing. They don't have time to look what the other is doing.

My UCAS didn't change! That means I failed!
NO - Universities have to MANUALLY compare every set of results with the offer conditions - even if it's a simple YES or NO for every one of those that means a lot of data input to put in to their database to send through to UCAS.

If UCAS hasn't changed then that means that either:
a) You've met your offer and your uni knows that and hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
b) You've met your offer and your uni doesn't know that because your results got muddled up so they're waiting to talk to you to check before telling UCAS.
c) You've missed your offer but your uni wants you anyway but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
d) You've missed your offer but your uni want to make you an offer for a similar but less full course and haven't got round to telling UCAS.
e) You've missed your offer and your uni haven't decided yet whether they can take you or not - they might need to see how many Insurance people they have to take before they know they've got room first.
f) You've missed your offer and your firm uni doesn't want you but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.

In other words - if UCAS hasn't changed that doesn't give ANY indication as to whether your results are good or bad.

In fact in some ways it's good - of those applicants who got a definite answer on results day last year...?....150,000 of them were rejected by both their firm and insurance and placed in Clearing. Being in limbo for a couple of hours is a GOOD thing compared to that.

My Firm place has confirmed me! That means I passed my A levels!
NO - remember - these things are decided MANUALLY....someone somewhere sits down with a pile of UCAS forms and a list of results and ticks off results against offers.
If your firm has confirmed you - well done! You're in! BUT don't go* expecting to see a long line of A grades. Just as a lot of unis can be slow in sending decisions to UCAS, some unis are VERY quick and will not only confirm the people who met their offers but will have confirmed a whole BUNCH of people who missed their grades.

Clearing ARRRRGH!

quick guide to Clearing

See the FAQ for more help.

I did really badly - what do I do now?
There will be a thread with information and advice on remakes/remarks/appeals

There will be threads in the Gap years forum for people planning to take a gap year and reapply and help available in the Applications, Clearing and UCAS

Results day stats from previous years:

Spoiler

Results Day Flowchart pdf version
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Update: as of 6:30pm Friday UCAS have passed exam results to universities

Update 2:
We’re on the home straight now people.

Top tips:

- stay calm (as you can) deep breath, shut your eyes, count to ten, breathe out. Repeat 4 times to slow your heart rate

- remember this is just one step on your pathway. It might be all fine and you carry on as expected, things might turn out differently to plan and you have to take a detour or a different path altogether. You have a long life ahead and plenty of time for detours - and often the unexpected ones turn out to be blessings in disguise. If you need to mourn a lost or delayed future path then that’s fine and perfectly understandable.

- remember you’re not the only person getting results today and be kind to others. Some positive karma is well worthwhile. Especially try to be thoughtful before posting about how disappointed you are with getting an A instead of an A* or a B in your extra A level - there will be people on TSR today with results much lower than this.

- remember you’re not alone. There’s loads of helpers here on TSR ready to help. And your teachers, friends and family are all there for you. Whether you need support making a scary phone call or a hug.

Good luck everyone!
(edited 8 months ago)

:tsr: invites you to #BeResultsProud this year. Please share this hashtag all over social media. If you wish, tag The Student Room too (find the handles at the bottom of the page). Find out more about this campaign here.
6 weeks to go today.
Reply 4
thank god this is a thread im already on edge 6 weeks in advance
I’m so nervous about results day😭
1) A Level
2) Sociology, Psychology, Geography
3) My firm is Leeds and my Insurance is Exeter
4) I applied for Business Management
5) I need ABB for both (I’m silly for this but it’s fine😂)
6) going uni this year, I also received an Accounting degree apprenticeship offer from a Top 7 firm which is amazing and the offer is unconditional so the apprenticeship is 100% my first choice.
7) I’m predicted A*AA
8) Losing my mind over results day, I'm so nervous and just praying my exams went well.
9) I think best case scenario I’ll get A*AB or if not I could get ABB, or even ACC…

Fingers crossed it went well!
(edited 9 months ago)
Only 5 weeks to go now :eek2:

How is everyone doing?
honestly I hope I get into my firm.
Original post by PQ
Only 5 weeks to go now :eek2:

How is everyone doing?
Reply 8
Feeling nervous already
Reply 9
Original post by notsocalm
Feeling nervous already

same
Original post by anon-.-

im scared sh***ess
Original post by anon-.-

What are you hoping to get?

Have you got a plan B (and C and D and E!)
Original post by lcvedingdong
honestly I hope I get into my firm.

What grades do you need to meet your offer?
Original post by notsocalm
Feeling nervous already

Have you found anything that helps to take your mind off things?
Reply 14
1) a level
2) biology, chemistry, maths, welsh bacc
3) my firm is birmingham and i didn’t put an insurance (only uni that gave me lower grade requirements was ucl and i decided against going to uni in london after applying).
4) biomedical science
5) AAB
6) going this year
7) i am predicted A*A*AA
8) quite nervous but also excited to finally know what i got
9) hoping for A* in bio and welsh bacc (i already know i’ve prob got an A* for welsh bacc because it’s coursework based and my teacher said i have the highest mark in the year group), i really hope i get my A in maths because revision went well and i genuinely enjoyed revising it but the exams weren’t the best, i think it’s unlikely i get an A in chem but i’m pretty sure i’ve got a B so that’s fine, i really enjoyed organic and physical chem but hated inorganic. the past two years i’ve had a lot of personal issues so i’m just happy i got through a levels and sat the exams tbh, i was aiming high at the start of yr12 so i will probably be disappointed if i get a B in chem but as long as i get into uni i don’t think i will dwell on it too much.
Reply 15
Original post by PQ
What are you hoping to get?

Have you got a plan B (and C and D and E!)

we only have a plan A hun and that's the only way to move forward
(edited 9 months ago)
28 days to go…scared
4 weeks to go! How is everyone feeling?
Original post by Evil Homer
4 weeks to go! How is everyone feeling?

Honestly I just want to know why a level results day is so late, especially because most students need time to move out to university and so much other stuff and whatnot.
I totally agree; it’s just making me more stressed😫, please just let me know whether I got into my dream university!!

Quick Reply

Latest