The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

cheesecakebobby
How about people too stupid to think things through before they say / type them?

Yes; as I say, politically correct people.
cheesecakebobby
There was a report I read about last week on the BBC about how some scientists think that as we become more picky in the future, the human race will split into two 'species' - an elite race of tall, strong people with all the hallmarks of fertility, and an underclass of small ugly hobbits. I think the implication is that the the underclass would be poor. And probably live in the depths of the city where the sunlight doesn't reach because of the 3km high skyscrapers where the upper class have their penthouses. I also hope there are dinosaur robots.

Lol i love The Sun.:p:
Indeed, that could explain why you didn't understand my use of 'BBC' in that post
cheesecakebobby
Is it really that unbelievable? How often do you see a stunningly attractive person with a very plain or repulsive partner?

Well you're polarising the issue there. You won't regularly see a stunningly attractive person with a repulsive person - though to say it never happens is foolish - but the world isn't like there. There will often - indeed, always - be one partner more attractive than the other. The world is not even closely matched up in terms of attractiveness, and any trend is incredibly vague.

And that's not even considering the view that two ugly parents does not equate to ugly children. Likewise with intelligence.
Yes but that entire study was based on an assumption people will become more picky - that's the thing that is most debatable
Reply 45
The obvious answer to the "two different breeds developing" speculation is good old fashioned rape. You often see the ugliest rapists with quite attractive victims, so it would seem that as so often humanity will confound its critics and survive well into the future. Then the Borg/Daleks/Islamic fundementalists will assimilate us all.
Reply 46
i disagree. i think it's personal choice. if i felt that my intelligence and looks gave me an unbearable quality of life i might consider it. but i don't think most do. i've gotta say the title made me laugh. there is a very serious side to it but i can't deny people's freedom of choice, and neither would i want to.
Reply 47
DanGrover
Yes, what we need is an ideology in which "really really stupid" people are of equal financial worth to the intelligent!

We need structural equality of opportunity, imv, but thanks for the strawman.

Oswy.
Oswy
We need structural equality of opportunity, imv, but thanks for the strawman.

Oswy.

I'm all for an eqaulity of oppertunity, but that insinuates there is no equality of outcome - else you'd cut straight to the chase, oppertunity be damned. Given this, presumably you prescribe to the belief of meritocracy - in which case "really really stupid" people will be of low, low financial worth.
Taoy
Being ugly hardly matters.

Course it does. What person would befriend an ugly person? :confused:
Reply 50
Any chance of a picture, by-torslayshisfoe?
Chumbaniya
You have to ask yourself this - what gives society the right to decide that the quality of life of a child that isn't even born yet (!) is so poor that it is justifiable to deny the parents the right to have children? It's neither in the child's interests (since paradoxically if you claim that denying the right of the parents to have children is in the child's interests, the child won't exist to have interests) nor in the parents interests to deny them the right to have children.

Having children shouldn't be a "right".
Wez
Any chance of a picture, by-torslayshisfoe?

No.
Reply 53
Aw.:frown:

Why not? You're not ugly and thus, according to your own logic, friendless surely?
I don't know.
Reply 55
DanGrover
I'm all for an eqaulity of oppertunity, but that insinuates there is no equality of outcome - else you'd cut straight to the chase, oppertunity be damned. Given this, presumably you prescribe to the belief of meritocracy - in which case "really really stupid" people will be of low, low financial worth.

The spelling is 'opportunity' by the way [sigh].

I'm actually questioning the validity of how and why people are categorised as 'stupid' just as I am with the idea of 'attractiveness'.

Oswy.

Latest

Trending

Trending