The Student Room Group

Cutting calories ONLY to lose weight

I'm using the my fitness pal app and after entering details on my height and weight and setting the goal to lose 0.5 kg per week, it says I should consume 1600 calories a day which I have no problem doing.

I'm currently 80kg and 5'9, does cutting calories only allow for minimal weight loss or can I cut 0.5 kg a week from just the lower calories?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
You probably can lose want you want to lose just from dieting but it would be easier to lose it if you did exercise too. Also personally i find i am more motivated to eat healthier when I'm doing exercise so the two kind of go hand in hand. Plus if you are doing exercise your calorie in take in order for you to lose weight wont be as low and so you are more likely to be consistent and less likely to have a phase of overeating. Its what you feel comfortable doing though at the end of the day

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've tried fasting, low calorie (300-500) medium cal(800-1000) and high cal (1000-1200) without exercise as well as all of those 3 with exercise at one point in my life. You lose the most with exercise, even when fasting/low calorie the weight will not move as much without exercise. So I'd advice you to try long walks and maybe jogging if you want visible results. Even with the same net calorie amount I always lost more when incorporating exercise into my diet.

Not advising you to eat that number of calories by the way. I'm just using myself as an example to show even when you go the extremes, exercise allows for more weight loss.

Quick Reply

Latest