The Student Room Group

Should I do medicine? Dilemma!

So I have a bit of a dilemma. I am currently in u6 (last year of school) studying a level chemistry biology and russian. I obtained 4 As at AS; chem bio russian and physics (very high UMS chemistry and russian). I've always been very good at the sciences, particularly fond of chemistry and of this year, biology.

At the start of this year I applied to do russian and linguistics; Because I really do enjoy language learning, and I love learning russian in general as well as russian history.
I'm quite good at applying knowledge and rules to new situations and like to analyse data, whether it be language or scientific data. My short term memory Is quite good (hence I learn a lot of vocab without too much hassle for vocab tests). So I thought that russian and linguistics would've been a good choice (because I could combine language and science).

But now at the end of my exams I feel like I might be making a mistake. I'm realising that I really will miss biology and chemistry, the only thing I watch on TV are documentaries about science because I just love learning something new and finding out how the world works and recent medical developments but also I get so excited when I can understand anything complex they're trying to explain because I can use my a level knowledge from chemistry biology and physics. My parents are both doctors but have never pressured me to like science or do medicine, but I do read their monthly medical journals and some of their old textbooks just because it interests me and sometimes related to my biology or chemistry and last year's physics course, like how anaesthetics act in the body, learning about diseases and parasites, how an MRI scanner works, NMR spectrums and phenols use in medicine.

In terms of high stress and pressure; I'm an athlete, I train around 5 times a week plus strength and conditioning and HIIT and competing, I'm used to high stress, lack of sleep and am a very motivated individual. My hand eye coordination is essential for my sport and quick thinking on the spot. This is the upside; however I know with medicine that my sporting opportunities would decrease due to other commitments (one of the reasons I originally applied for russian).

I'm starting to feel that I could just continue to learn russian in my spare time and apply for medicine. Though I have a firm choice for russian and linguistics starting this September. Should I reapply for the next cycle for medicine and do Ukcat and volunteering over summer?

Thanks
Potatopotato

*Also: I don't like the idea of a desk based job, I like to work with my hands and to be on my feet most of the day*
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Potatopotato
So I have a bit of a dilemma. I am currently in u6 (last year of school) studying a level chemistry biology and russian. I obtained 4 As at AS; chem bio russian and physics (very high UMS chemistry and russian). I've always been very good at the sciences, particularly fond of chemistry and of this year, biology.

At the start of this year I applied to do russian and linguistics; Because I really do enjoy language learning, and I love learning russian in general as well as russian history.
I'm quite good at applying knowledge and rules to new situations and like to analyse data, whether it be language or scientific data. My short term memory Is quite good (hence I learn a lot of vocab without too much hassle for vocab tests). So I thought that russian and linguistics would've been a good choice (because I could combine language and science).

But now at the end of my exams I feel like I might be making a mistake. I'm realising that I really will miss biology and chemistry, the only thing I watch on TV are documentaries about science because I just love learning something new and finding out how the world works and recent medical developments but also I get so excited when I can understand anything complex they're trying to explain because I can use my a level knowledge from chemistry biology and physics. My parents are both doctors but have never pressured me to like science or do medicine, but I do read their monthly medical journals and some of their old textbooks just because it interests me and sometimes related to my biology or chemistry and last year's physics course, like how anaesthetics act in the body, learning about diseases and parasites, how an MRI scanner works, NMR spectrums and phenols use in medicine.

In terms of high stress and pressure; I'm an athlete, I train around 5 times a week plus strength and conditioning and HIIT and competing, I'm used to high stress, lack of sleep and am a very motivated individual. My hand eye coordination is essential for my sport and quick thinking on the spot. This is the upside; however I know with medicine that my sporting opportunities would decrease due to other commitments (one of the reasons I originally applied for russian).

I'm starting to feel that I could just continue to learn russian in my spare time and apply for medicine. Though I have a firm choice for russian and linguistics starting this September. Should I reapply for the next cycle for medicine and do Ukcat and volunteering over summer?

Thanks
Potatopotato

*Also: I don't like the idea of a desk based job, I like to work with my hands and to be on my feet most of the day*

Think what is going to get you a job, medicine or russian. I think the answer is quite obvious but its your choice
Reply 2
Original post by Potatopotato

Thanks
Potatopotato

My flatmate applied for dentistry and languages (as separate courses, not together!) and got offers for both. He ended up doing dentistry and now learns French and Spanish in his spare time. The demands in dentistry and medicine are fairly similar so it's achievable.

In my view a language as a degree is not particularly useful in some ways. In most countries people have at least 2 languages anyway. Unless you want to become a translator (which is apparently very dull, my uncle does that) or teach languages then medicine is probably the better choice.

If you're an athlete obviously that will have to be reduced, especially in the clinical years. However, I know someone who competed in the Commonwealth Games as a fencer while she was a 2nd year medic. That said, pretty much all she did was medicine and fencing so it means giving up on other things and now she's in her clinical years of medicine she's had to scale back fencing a lot.

In terms of medicine per se, while obviously enjoying science is essential, I'd say it's also important to be interested in working with people. Otherwise you're better going for a medical research degree rather than medicine. I have a fairly 'that's interesting' approach to medicine's sciency bits but am far more interested in the human element. Others I know who went in because they like science tend not to enjoy it so much and will likely end up branching off into research anyway. Which is fair enough, but why not just study anatomy/biomedicine etc. initially and do a PhD?

If you're unsure there's no harm taking a gap year anyway, even if you don't get in/decide against med then at least you've had time to think and maybe gain more of an insight into life as a doc. Also, you can apply for medicine and languages at the same time (though check with the uni first and you'll have to send a separate PS for the languages one, focus your medicine PS purely on medicine). No point rushing into it and then regretting your choice - I studied law initially because I didn't know what to do and it took me 4 wasted years to realise I hated it and should have gone for med!

Good luck whatever you choose anyway.
Reply 3
Your appreciation of medicine at the moment seems to be mostly about the technical aspects of pathology, drugs etc, with no mention of the human, caring side of the job, which is absolutely vital. It is no use being able to explain how a local anaesthetic works if you cannot persuade a frightened patient to have it for whatever procedure is necessary. Think about getting some work experience, preferably not with your parents, to get a feel of medicine on the ground, rather than what you've learned in your A-level books.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending