The Student Room Group

VPN Questions

New question, new thread,

I have several questions I would like to ask.

If I use a VPN will my parents know?
Will the VPN gather data or anything like that from me?
Will they sell any information they get? I've heard they sell your bandwidth for DDOSing
Will my internet provider know
Can you change your IP as many times as yiuw nat or does it just give you one extra?
(edited 8 years ago)
:rofl:
How old are you?
Original post by DocWho49
New question, new thread,

I have several questions I would like to ask.

If I use a VPN will my parents know?
Will the VPN gather data or anything like that from me?
Will they sell any information they get? I've heard they sell your bandwidth for DDOSing
Will my internet provider know
Can you change your IP as many times as yiuw nat or does it just give you one extra?

They'll know if they know anything about network and routing and how sending a bunch of traffic down 1 IP address can be a bit suspicious.
Usually secure with industrial encryption, it just runs through loads more network nodes before reaching the destination than it would normally.
They don't usually get much from you but I've heard stories of people who've had that.
They won't personally check but they do log everything you go on so if they do want to check, they can. But they won't be able to see what that traffic is, could be anything :smile:
I think they just give you 1 but you can email them and tell them you want a new one and they should listen.
Reply 4
Original post by nemoshish
How old are you?

Why are you worrying about VPN. I use it all time for Netflix and so far heard nothing from internet provider. Make sure not use free one. they are rubbish. There are load of best paid VPN out there. Previously I used Hotspot shield and Vyprvpn.

May I ask why you want to use VPN?
Reply 6
Original post by nemoshish
Why are you worrying about VPN. I use it all time for Netflix and so far heard nothing from internet provider. Make sure not use free one. they are rubbish. There are load of best paid VPN out there. Previously I used Hotspot shield and Vyprvpn.

May I ask why you want to use VPN?

Thanks :smile: does it increase your internet bill? And I got banned from a game 😛
No
I use Unblock-Us VPN for Netflix. Its like 3-4 quid a month and I can use it across all my devices.

Your parents may know if you are using a VPN if they use the same device you are using, as if they go on something like Netflix where it differs region by region, they will know.

If you are just say on your PC then as long as they don't use it they won't know. You could always deactivate the VPN after you have finished on the computer.

Also not trying to be nosy,but why do you think your parents would care about you getting a VPN?
A VPN
(edited 4 years ago)
1) Are your parents familiar with networking? If they're laymen, they probably won't know.
2) Depends on which VPN you are using. A lot of free VPNs out there are shady af and log information. This page recommends some reliable ones and the risks you can expect with free ones in general: https://www.vpnranks.com/free-vpn/
3) Again, it depends on which VPN we're talking. Some like Hola have been involved in bandwidth selling, but if you get a recognized brand, you're much less likely to be scammed, since they have reputation to protect.
4) Your ISP will know that you are using a VPN but they won't be able to see what you are doing with the VPN.
5) The IP change depends on the server you are connected to. If a VPN offers a variety of different locations, you will get a bunch of different IPs every time you connect, depending on how large the pool of IPs the VPN provider offers.
(edited 4 years ago)
I don 't use free VPNs.they are not secure because when you use them, your personal data is stored in the VPN owner's database. I use the paid veepn https://veepn.com/ because their databases are cleared automatically. And I advise you this VPN.

Latest

Trending

Trending