The Student Room Group

Is £5, cash in hand, a good wage?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Minimum wage for 18-20 year olds is 5.31 so don't take that. You can't sue them for false wage or whatever which could be tempting, because cash in hand is probably illegal i dunno
Original post by bassbabe
Lol mate you're being mugged off. My wage is more than £5 and I'm only 16

Everything that is freely agreed to is fair, the choice is there to accept or not.
Mate your getting mugged off here, are you an unpaid worker or summat? Just get another job
Reply 43
Original post by SaraSHFB
Obviously £5 is rubbish pay but if it is cash in hand does that make it a bit more worth while?

I have just started working in a restaurant, at the bar, and thats how much they are going to pay me. I have no experience working anywhere else and this will be my first job. I will only be working from 7-10 (but when I went for my trial I finished at 11) they said that after 4weeks the pay may go up depending on my performance

I need to pay for my petrol there (6miles for there and back)

Is that a good deal or am I getting mugged off?

job is not worth while, cash in hand makes it sound even sketchier. I think your dad is right, try and find something else
13 pence under the minimum wage for your age, so illegal.

In general the amount you get paid cash in hand versus the amount they pay directly into your bank account shouldn't differ for a job. Usual cash in hand jobs are for when you are self-employed, for convenience (casual work) or when you are working for someone dodgy.
Original post by ChickenMadness
how much of the minimum wage is taxed though?

Depends on how many hours you work. £10k is the personal tax allowance now, so if you are earning below that you shouldn't be paying income tax.
The answer is obvious if you have balls.

You take the job. Document the illegal pay for a month.

Then bring it up with your boss, explaining you now realise it is illegal, and you are going to the police unless you are paid minimum wage, ON the books, for the number of hours you have worked.

Cash in hand + minimum wage.
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
The answer is obvious if you have balls.

You take the job. Document the illegal pay for a month.

Then bring it up with your boss, explaining you now realise it is illegal, and you are going to the police unless you are paid minimum wage, ON the books, for the number of hours you have worked.

Cash in hand + minimum wage.

Sounds wonderful. At 3 hours a day (7-10) over a month she would be owed about 3 or 4 quid. What's the point? The police wouldn't do anything.

op Might aswell just do the job and say nothing of it if you enjoy it.
seems pretty crappy to me
I think it depends on whether your priority is the money or those hours. I wouldn't like £5 an hour if I were working, say, 20 hours a week, but for the sake of three hours I'd happily take it.
You could probably get a job in a supermarket for £6-something but I suppose it all depends on what you enjoy doing.

If they start messing you around with hours/treating you badly, though, for that wage I'd run a mile.
Now I feel really bumped after hearing what you got :frown: I did really enjoy it there though. I went for a trial and I loved it, not the bits where I didn't know what I was doing but I guess I'll learn more when I'm there, they feed you at the end for free too. I've been trying so hard for a couple of years to get a job and this is the only one I've gotten so far

I didn't mean to sound like a b*llend, I just think you could probably do better if you looked for a job in retail, plus you get staff discount!! (I get 20% which my mum loves using :smile: )

Do you have any qualifications?
Assume this is 6 nights a week, 18 hours a week, that's £90

Add fraudulently claimed JSA and you get £118.50

Divide by 18 that is £6.58 an hour so you would be exactly the same if on the books at £6.50

Of course there is illegality here on both sides.

And as it is you have no employee protections though God knows we don't have many left as it is.

Worst thing is if they get funny and you leave the job they don't have to provide you with a reference as no evidence you ever worked there
It's good money...

If you get the rest of your money in the companies stock. o_o

Not even a duck would accept £5 an hour, I don't think anyone is worth that.
Reply 53
Original post by iAmanze
It's good money...

If you get the rest of your money in the companies stock. o_o

Not even a duck would accept £5 an hour, I don't think anyone is worth that.

Oh God, just think - industrial size cans of mixed pickle. :mmm:

Take the job!
Reply 54
Obviously £5 is rubbish pay but if it is cash in hand does that make it a bit more worth while?

I have just started working in a restaurant, at the bar, and thats how much they are going to pay me. I have no experience working anywhere else and this will be my first job. I will only be working from 7-10 (but when I went for my trial I finished at 11) they said that after 4weeks the pay may go up depending on my performance

I need to pay for my petrol there (6miles for there and back)

Is that a good deal or am I getting mugged off?

absolute pants ...
Original post by ChickenMadness
how much of the minimum wage is taxed though?

No tax until you earn over £10k, so it depends on whether you work full time.
Original post by Uberphuq
I didn't mean to sound like a b*llend, I just think you could probably do better if you looked for a job in retail, plus you get staff discount!! (I get 20% which my mum loves using :smile: )

Do you have any qualifications?

I tried looking for a job in retail, had an assessment with Next but they said I wasn't 'outgoing enough' which is true though because I'm very shy.

I've just finished my administration course in college so I've got that. But every office job I apply for says I need experience. I even got knocked back for a office junior :/
Original post by scrotgrot
Assume this is 6 nights a week, 18 hours a week, that's £90

Add fraudulently claimed JSA and you get £118.50

Divide by 18 that is £6.58 an hour so you would be exactly the same if on the books at £6.50

Of course there is illegality here on both sides.

And as it is you have no employee protections though God knows we don't have many left as it is.

Worst thing is if they get funny and you leave the job they don't have to provide you with a reference as no evidence you ever worked there

I'm not even working 6 nights. It's just for a Saturday. If they get funny I will definitely leave. My references from school were pretty decent so I can rely on them
Absolutely not.
Considering they're asking you to do something illegal, they aren't even giving you a good wage for it.
Please don't do this.
Reply 59
£5 an hour? For a Saturday? That's terrible.

Not being funny, Saturday wages are 1.5x normal salary and Sunday is 2x salary normally.

Where is this ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending