The Student Room Group

Retail jobs-till being up/down-anyone else get this?

In my current retail job, quite reguarly my till would be down by a certain amount at the end of the shift. This stresses me out and I dont know why its happening.

One possibility is that im giving out too much change by mistake. Its a fast paced retail environment, it wouldn't be hard to accidently give a customer the change of a tenner when after they gave you a fiver.

Anyone else have this problem in their job?

Scroll to see replies

Of course it happens everywhere, you just need to think of ways to cover yourself and make sure you don't get framed and so on.
Reply 2
Yer happens alot where I work too. It's harder to trace who it is though as we only use two tills between 4/5 staff. Just be really careful to be aware of what you are doing and if you think you missed something just double check it.

We were once down like £300 and had to stay behind until it was accounted for...turned out my manager did a pick up and completely forgot =/
It happens everywhere. You need to make sure you're always giving the correct change, and make sure you're entering the orders into the till correctly. Also make sure other people don't use the till with your username. Also make sure that orders paid for by card haven't been entered as cash or vice versa.

I used to find at Subway that the till would always be even (perhaps up or down by a penny or two), except for when certain people worked there.
Reply 4
Original post by screenager2004
It happens everywhere. You need to make sure you're always giving the correct change, and make sure you're entering the orders into the till correctly. Also make sure other people don't use the till with your username. Also make sure that orders paid for by card haven't been entered as cash or vice versa.

I used to find at Subway that the till would always be even (perhaps up or down by a penny or two), except for when certain people worked there.

was yours ever down by a significant amount?
Original post by bloomblaze
was yours ever down by a significant amount?

Never more than a few pounds at worst.
We'd have days where we think it's down by hundreds but it turns out to be a cash drop (when you take money out of the till and put it into the safe) that wasn't recorded, or card transactions that were entered as cash. If the till was down £2 at the end of the day, management would say "right there were 10 of you on shift, I'm taking 20p off each of your payslips to make it up again".
I work at subway and we're up/down bread and money every day.
If it's more than £3 either way it's a big deal. Other than that we just make sure we even up the till when cashing up.
Reply 7

Never more than a few pounds at worst.
We'd have days where we think it's down by hundreds but it turns out to be a cash drop (when you take money out of the till and put it into the safe) that wasn't recorded, or card transactions that were entered as cash. If the till was down £2 at the end of the day, management would say "right there were 10 of you on shift, I'm taking 20p off each of your payslips to make it up again".

But if they do that it will lead to stealing - someone takes £2, but only loses 20p from wages so is overall up £1.80. Or people will be less careful, as mistakes don't have such an effect.
Reply 8
My last job my till seemed to be down about once every other day while a certain girl worked there. In a week or so it was down a total of £170. Once she left I went a few weeks with not being significantly down despite taking about £100,000 in total on my till. Then her mate worked a shift and my till was down £100 the same day. The mind boggles!
they are up and down all the time where i work, but more f the time its no big deal, unless it is more then about £60 or something.
Reply 10
Wow you could be down by about £40 and they wouldn't care? Were I work at the moment we're usually spot on or just up or down by a few pennies but thats mainly as we only take about £300 if that a day atm ¬_¬
I used to work at PC World. At our store, if your till was within £1 of where it should be, you got a pat on the back lol. If it was less than £5 up or down, that was fine and they didn't worry about it. Only if it was over £5 were you asked to recount it etc. Once, a till I'd been on ended up £30 down - no idea how and whilst they did look it into, nothing else was said about it to the rest of the staff. :smile:

There was a commotion one day though, when a till was £1000 down lol. Turned out the guy who had took it out to put in the safe had registered it on the system as originating in a different till [one that hadn't been used that day]!

At Sainsbury's, we didn't reconcile our own tills and moved about from checkout to checkout multiple times in a shift. So, I'd assume the tills would be up or down at the end of the day, but they never said anything to us about it.

Be careful when you are counting change and when taking money. Sometimes, it is easy to get confused, especially if someone gives you a note worth x and then says they want to change it and they swap it to something else etc. And, as others have said, just make sure you can't be blamed for something. Don't have cash on you when you are on the shop floor, for example. If there is CCTV over the tills, which I'd expect in medium-sized stores, you should be in the clear, at least when it comes to proving you having taken money for yourself. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Juno
But if they do that it will lead to stealing - someone takes £2, but only loses 20p from wages so is overall up £1.80. Or people will be less careful, as mistakes don't have such an effect.

But can you always tell who did it? In Greggs we had two tills but there could be three or four people on at a time, so if the till was down at the end of the day you couldn't tell whose fault it was.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by ily_em

Original post by ily_em
But can you always tell who did it? In Greggs we had two tills but there could be three or four people on at a time, so if the till was down at the end of the day you couldn't tell whose fault it was.

Not always, which is another reason why the splitting system won't work. People know they won't be caught and won't lose the full value of their losses so why should they bother to be careful?

You can narrow it down - if the till is always short but not when X has a day off it might be them (but could be Y trying to blame X, although if people are stupid enough to steal they're not always clever enough to work that out). Or they can try to do more spot checks and limit the number of people on tills
Reply 14
Shared tills pisses me off. I worked in a pub where I was only down by more than 3p once and that was because I put a shot of cordial (20p) through the till to open it to give someone change and never had a chance to get a manager to cancel the transaction till the end of my shift when I forgot.

Then one occaision, I am asked to take over someone elses till without cashing up and the thing is £7 down and they made a big fuss of giving me an official warning and asking to search me. I agreed to the search and then told them they could **** off and keep their job.
Reply 15
The tills were I work (McDonald's) are constantly up and down. Although more often than not they'll be down.
The problem with my store is that everyone shares the tills. Then there was a big fuss about it and we did things the proper way that only the person logged in was allowed to use the till and you'd have to lock your till when you weren't using it etc etc.
Before I'd get asked why my till was down anywhere between £5 and £20 so I'd roll of a list of people who had been using my till that day. As soon as we started doing things the proper way my till was bang on and I only had it up 1p once.
However now we're basically back to our old ways which pisses me off.

The best way to count change I find is to count it all then have another glance at it before you hand it up to the customer. Normally I'll add an extra coin somehow but I've always managed to spot it by having a quick double check :smile:
In my store we don't share tills and it's still a problem. Your average person will take in €1000 a day, and if you're on tills all day it can be over €4000 at Christmas. They start highlighting overs/unders when they reach €3 and you can be cautioned and warned over them if they continue.

By all means scan stuff and pack them into bags fast. When you have the note in your hand, give it a quick glance just before you enter it into the till. Another thing we were always told to do is put the note you've taken on top of your tillbox (ie. on top of the cash but not put in right) so that you'll know what the change is and if there's a dispute over what the customer gave you, you'll know immediately. If the customer arguses they gave you a different note, like a 20 instead of a 10 and you can't be certain, NEVER GIVE IN. ALWAYS get a manager to count your till. Chances are they won't hang around for that anyway.
My till can be down and I'm like? I wonder how many times my till can be down till I get sacked?

I agree
don’t steal from your till
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending