The Student Room Group

British teens who stole artefacts at concentration camp could face expulsion

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11695272/British-teens-who-stole-artefacts-at-concentration-camp-could-face-expulsion.html

Only just read this. What an awful thing to do. Agree that they should be punished but expulsion might be too far?
Reply 1
Items the boys tries to steal in Auschwitz; shards of glass, buttons and a piece of a hair clipper

We've got some master thieves here. For £15 grand a year you'd have thought their school might manage to teach some common sense, but evidently not. A wonderful advertisement for public school education, to be sure.
Original post by Dez
We've got some master thieves here. For £15 grand a year you'd have thought their school might manage to teach some common sense, but evidently not. A wonderful advertisement for public school education, to be sure.

At least if they do get expelled their parents will be able to afford a private tutor! Normally think expulsion should only be used as a last resort but doesn't matter so much in this case.

Not too far at all, if I ran a school I wouldn't want to say I have students like that still studying at it. They made a choice and they should deal with the consequences
Meh, anyone can make a mistake. People are always far too quick to criticise from the sidelines in cases like this.

In any case, I don't see any source for the school considered expelling them? I guess it's a possibility, but despite being in the headline, there's no mention of it in that article.
If you'd seen some of the ridiculous reasons why people got expelled from my school, I think you'd find stealing from dead victims of the genocide at Auschwitz is actually a remarkably legit one. It's:
a) an actual crime and
b) morally highly questionable

Compared to borrowing a t-shirt from lost property, writing a pretend newsletter poking fun at the teachers and taking some cutlery from the dining room (all genuine expulsion offences from my school) we're talking hardened criminality. Private schools have a reason for expulsion reflex set to "pathetic".
Original post by seaholme
If you'd seen some of the ridiculous reasons why people got expelled from my school, I think you'd find stealing from dead victims of the genocide at Auschwitz is actually a remarkably legit one. It's:
a) an actual crime and
b) morally highly questionable

Compared to borrowing a t-shirt from lost property, writing a pretend newsletter poking fun at the teachers and taking some cutlery from the dining room (all genuine expulsion offences from my school) we're talking hardened criminality. Private schools have a reason for expulsion reflex set to "pathetic".

That's outrageous! Borrowing a t-shirt? Whats wrong with your school. Is it private?
Original post by TomatoLounge
That's outrageous! Borrowing a t-shirt? Whats wrong with your school. Is it private?

It was a private school yeah - and a very ridiculous place. Monty Python couldn't have made half of it up.
Just shows how ridiculously expensive private school education is that students are forced to steal and eBay items from a concentration camp.

The headmaster had his photo taken as part of the story in the Telegraph. **** looks happy as Larry. Any publicity is good publicity, eh?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03351/Auschwitz-Headmast_3351766c.jpg
(edited 8 years ago)
This is why Brits get bad reps on behaviour abroad...people do dumb s*** like this....like why would they do that :s what goes through your mind to steal from a concentration camp..they deserve to get expelled imo....obvs their school feels embarrassed that their rep has been tainted...globally
They deserve it

They're only sorry because they got caught.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
They deserve it

They're only sorry because they got caught.

It's not like the people are going to miss their belongings. They're dead.
Original post by callum_law
It's not like the people are going to miss their belongings. They're dead.

With that sort of thinking, being ignorant about the significance of what happened in the past is inevitable.

It's just plain disrespectful to steal for your own personal/financial gain. I see no reason in favour for their actions.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
With that sort of thinking, being ignorant about the significance of what happened in the past is inevitable.

It's just plain disrespectful to steal for your own personal/financial gain. I see no reason in favour for their actions.

No, it's not ignorance, it is simply not assigning huge value to ethereal and disposable items. It's not like they defaced the Magna Carta or something, they took some small items of no worth for a laugh. Is that permissible? No, but I don't think it's as significant as you think. They don't deserve to have their lives ruined for it.
Original post by callum_law
Just shows how ridiculously expensive private school education is that students are forced to steal and eBay items from a concentration camp.

The headmaster had his photo taken as part of the story in the Telegraph. **** looks happy as Larry. Any publicity is good publicity, eh?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03351/Auschwitz-Headmast_3351766c.jpg

I think that may have been the PR dept's standard press photo of the head
Original post by nulli tertius
I think that may have been the PR dept's standard press photo of the head

Quite. However, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.
It just shows that you can attend private school, and STILL lack common sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending