Check out other Related discussions

:(

reading all the posts about durham has kinda put me off for some reason
also is durham a kinda rasict area cause it is located in the north
whats the ratio of asians:white

dont take it personally

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wow, it's done the opposite for me. Everyone seems so keen on Durham I'm picking up on the excitement!
Is it the possibility of racism that's putting you off? Cause there is a thread which says there's no problem with it really at Durham.
Plus don't be scared of the North! Most of the students are actually from the South if that makes it any better?! Haha. Hope you get where you want to be. x
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
blackhat
reading all the posts about durham has kinda put me off for some reason
also is durham a kinda rasict area cause it is located in the north
whats the ratio of asians:white

dont take it personally

No, durham is not a racist area.

when you say asian, do you mean middle-eastern or east asian? (Asia is a big place, :wink:)

if the latter, then there are a few. There is also the Teikyo Uni of Japan that is located on the hill, though I don't know exactly when it is populated and when it isn't
Reply 3
by asian i mean indian/pakistani
also i read there are gay/les people at that uni im sorry but that jus puts me of too much is that true?
blackhat

Oh right. In that case no, not many really that I know of. Don't let that put you off though.

also i read there are gay/les people at that uni im sorry but that jus puts me of too much is that true?

If that puts you off then don't go to uni fella. Students are an extremely liberal demographic. I would warn against being so disciminatory.
Reply 5
It strikes me as odd that someone who is worried about being discriminated against themselves is then doing exactly the same thing to another "group" of people (don't like using the word group there but couldn't think of another word for it).

Were you expecting a completely non-gay uni? Maybe you should reconsider uni if you think you're going to find such a place. I'd say numbers here are about average.

There are gay people. There are Asian people. Never heard of either being discriminated against by locals or other students, to answer the original point.
Reply 6
sorry that question did not come out right :frown:
so ALL unis have those type of "gay" people in them if so then theres no problem i thought it was only durham, appologies
so theres hardly any indians/paki at that uni ?
Reply 7
Yes, all universities in Britain have gay people, lesbians, bisexuals, in fact all unis in the country have any type of race/sexuality you care to mention. I know a few people of asian origin, but yes, they are in the minority. If finding somewhere with a high number of asian people is a really important deciding factor to you, I think one of the London unis would be better for you.
Reply 8
blackhat

Then don't come :smile:
Reply 9
TKR
Then don't come :smile:

well said!
Reply 10
Yeah, the North is full of racists.

:rolleyes:
blackhat

OMG burn them at the stake.:rolleyes:

Uni's r full of people who are diffenent from urself (thank christ). Werever u go u will have to fit in with people you wouldn't normaly hang around with. I hope the experience will get u over yourself. Sorry to be mean as I understand some people arn't blessed with people from other cultures, religions and sexaulities (leading to an obvious amount of ignorance). Im sure u won't b forced t hang around with people u don't want to but if I were u keep ur mind open when u get to uni or you might find urself alone and with a very closed circle of friends.

^And not all North people are racist but I think its proably a higher percentage than the rest of britian.
Reply 12
spunkym0nkey
And not all North people are racist but I think its proably a higher percentage than the rest of britian.

Erm, yeah :rolleyes:

The most racist areas of the country are actually concentrated in the South West (Cornwall, Devon, Somerset) and the North West (Lake District/Cumbria).

The reason for this is that they are rural areas with little experience or contact with ethnic minorities. Highly populated areas with large Asian, Middle Eastern, African populations, etc. are less racist because people are used to them.

I can't remember where the information came from, but studies have been done on this, and it's true. That's not to say that everyone in Cumbria and the West Country are racist, but more are racist there than other areas.

You can't just divide the North and the South and say "Racists are up north" - how can you divide people simply because of their latitude on the globe? :rolleyes: ....a lot of factors have to be taken into consideration!
dobbs

The most racist areas of the country are actually concentrated in the South West (Cornwall, Devon, Somerset) and the North West (Lake District/Cumbria).

The reason for this is that they are rural areas with little experience or contact with ethnic minorities. Highly populated areas with large Asian, Middle Eastern, African populations, etc. are less racist because people are used to them.

I can't remember where the information came from, but studies have been done on this, and it's true. That's not to say that everyone in Cumbria and the West Country are racist, but more are racist there than other areas.

You can't just divide the North and the South and say "Racists are up north" - how can you divide people simply because of their latitude on the globe? :rolleyes: ....a lot of factors have to be taken into consideration!

That surprises me, I would have thought the most racists places are towns with a large ethnic divide in the community. I am always hearing about racial tension in Blackburn/Burnley/Oldham/wherever on North West tonight. Not that I am saying you're wrong, this is you're area after all, its just not what I would have thought
Reply 14
Itchynscratchy
That surprises me, I would have thought the most racists places are towns with a large ethnic divide in the community. I am always hearing about racial tension in Blackburn/Burnley/Oldham/wherever on North West tonight. Not that I am saying you're wrong, this is you're area after all, its just not what I would have thought

Don't you think people would act a bit strangely if large numbers of black people appeared in Blackpool town centre though? You don't see much racism there but then again you don't see many non-white people either... I'm not saying there would be racist attacks or anything, just that because it's unusual, the reaction would be noticeable. Whereas in Preston no-one bats an eyelid (that I've noticed, anyway).
Reply 15
Itchynscratchy

As the person above says, the racial tension only occurs because there is the environment FOR it to occur (i.e. lots of different races!).

Whereas if you go to a rural area it is predominantly white, and for a group of Asian or Black people to come into the area the reaction would be noticable. Obviously it's hard to test this because you can't very well just ask people if they're racist or not, which is why it's annoying that I can't find the data that I saw a couple of years ago on this....I can't remember how they figured it all out :redface:
dobbs
As the person above says, the racial tension only occurs because there is the environment FOR it to occur (i.e. lots of different races!).

Good point, I guess I haven't thought about it enough
Reply 17
so can u tell me what is the probabilty of seeing a indian/paki out of 10

o thanks im totally over the "gay" thing now, like i said i thought it was only durham but i was mistaken.
Reply 18
Yes, Durham is the only university in the country that lets gay people in. :rolleyes:
Reply 19
dobbs

Woo, go Cumbria....:rolleyes:
I have also heard this, in fact I think I heard it on Radio Cumbria. Kev's right, there are more sheep than people here and the people that are around are nearly all white, for example in the town where I live I can think of about 6 or 7 non-white people. There were 2 non-white people in my year at school and that was above average!

Latest