The Student Room Group

Do I still text him to say happy birthday?

He ended things two days ago. I have handled it pretty well like I was upset for a bit, but now I'm doing okay. We didn't agree to stay friends or anything, we said goodnight to each other and that was that. Anyway his birthday is coming up and I wanna text him happy birthday. I'm not looking for a response but I just feel like its something I wanna do.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
He ended things two days ago. I have handled it pretty well like I was upset for a bit, but now I'm doing okay. We didn't agree to stay friends or anything, we said goodnight to each other and that was that. Anyway his birthday is coming up and I wanna text him happy birthday. I'm not looking for a response but I just feel like its something I wanna do.

No not a good idea. You sound a tiny bit.....clingy? Give hime some space. I you really want to say happy birthday, i would go with the posting on his Facebook wall method (it's a little less personal?)
Reply 2
Original post by Hayley Williams
No not a good idea. You sound a tiny bit.....clingy? Give hime some space. I you really want to say happy birthday, i would go with the posting on his Facebook wall method (it's a little less personal?)

Lol clingy because I remembered his birthday. I remember everyone's birthday. He doesn't have Facebook or any social media
Lol clingy because I remembered his birthday. I remember everyone's birthday. He doesn't have Facebook or any social media

Don't sound so defensive, you asked for my opinion, you got it. Was the break up mutual or what? If you want to get back together then i would say happy birthday to show him you still care but if not i would personally not text him. I said .....clingy because i couldn't think of the correct word ahah
I think you should, like the saying goes. 'If you wish good things on a person, they'll realise what they've become'.. Dont turn heartless because of some junked up ball of hormones.
Reply 5
No, I personally wouldn't. Especially if you didn't agree to stay as friends 👎
It's a difficult one, but I suppose there's no harm in saying happy birthday (just to acknowledge it). I was in a kind of similar situation last week (although me and the guy had only had one date and months of mixed messages/on off messaging so no proper dating/relationship). Anyway, I texted him to say happy birthday. Mainly because he'd previously mentioned it was on that date and as I, like you remember birthdays well, I felt that despite irregular contact, I couldn't not acknowledge it.
I personally would, I've done it in the past. It doesn't have to show that you still care, it can just show that you are being nice.
Do you agree not to stay as friends? It wouldn't hurt to send a friendly birthday wish.
If you wanna text himhappy birthday then go on and do it. It just shows that you arepolite.
Don't attach any extrameaning and be clear to yourself about the fact that you are nottogether anymore.
(edited 8 years ago)
Terrible idea. You most certainly do not text him happy birthday. This is good though, let's get all the bad ideas out of the way now, better than actually going through with it later. It's over between you two, you have to move on. That means no calls, no texts, no happy birthdays, nothing. Complete radio silence.
Original post by Hayley Williams
Don't sound so defensive, you asked for my opinion, you got it. Was the break up mutual or what? If you want to get back together then i would say happy birthday to show him you still care but if not i would personally not text him. I said .....clingy because i couldn't think of the correct word ahah

Lol I just hate the word clingy! Well I feel like we have unfinished business to be honest
However kinda decided not to text him now
Yeah it would be different if you decided to stay friends, but texting him at this point might not garner any response and it would be awful to be subconsciously waiting. Sorry to hear about your breakup OP, onwards and upwards!
Probably best not to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol I just hate the word clingy! Well I feel like we have unfinished business to be honest
However kinda decided not to text him now

What do you mean by unfinished business?
Sometimes its better not to see each other for a while. It might be good to talk with him if you have any questions but you can also meet after a few weeks.
Update.
I texted him, I honestly didn't expect a reply or at least a thank minimum. But we just had a little catch up.
Original post by Easysunday
What do you mean by unfinished business?
Sometimes its better not to see each other for a while. It might be good to talk with him if you have any questions but you can also meet after a few weeks.

As in..the reason we broke up wasn't a big issue at all. Like it's something that can be easily resolved, its really down to me. Well I haven't seem him in a week now, the balls really in his court. In the meantime I'm just trying to focus my energies elsewhere

I think you should text him happy birthday, its not like this breakup has made you some sort of evil ex girlfriend. You can still show someone you care about them and it doesn't necessarily mean you want to get back together..I dont think it would send him mixed signals as he is the one that broke up with you right? As long as its just a simple happy birthday then I see no harm in it :smile:
Original post by puddingbot
Yeah it would be different if you decided to stay friends, but texting him at this point might not garner any response and it would be awful to be subconsciously waiting. Sorry to hear about your breakup OP, onwards and upwards!

Thanks.

Honestly didn't think he would text me back. I just sent the text and left my phone for a while. I was quite surprised that he had texted back and asked how I was doing etc. Its all good, I'm actually coping really well considering. It isn't easy to forget someone you speak to every single day.
Original post by shannonmaria
I think you should text him happy birthday, its not like this breakup has made you some sort of evil ex girlfriend. You can still show someone you care about them and it doesn't necessarily mean you want to get back together..I dont think it would send him mixed signals as he is the one that broke up with you right? As long as its just a simple happy birthday then I see no harm in it :smile:

Thank you. In the end I sent the text. It just wouldn't have felt right if I didn't. I didn't think I'd get a response, but he responded to it well and asked how I was doing etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending