The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

he is as legally obliged to get one as you or I. I have just bitten the bullet and got one!
Reply 2
Is he using a tv or anything that can receive a tv signal?

we all got those letters in my halls, even me and I don't own a tv!

they have been and had a look but I wasnt in at the time, my friend who has a tv and tv licence, well they didnt want to look at her tv licence! she could have just said she had one! anyway I think they like to give empty threats!

how much will you have to pay for 5 months? I know that if you pay for the year they give you back the money from the summer months..
lol - me and my flatmates always had this problem. we are also at private halls, but then we have to get a tv license, the problem was that not everyone was willing to pay! so we sufficed and we haven't actualy been watching TV since, coz we are just afraid of getting fined. But as far as i can see, there are many people who don't have one and haven't got caught.
But, just to be on the safe side, i suggest he pays coz its not a lot when the money is split up, and its way better than being fined 1000 per person!
Reply 4
I got the letter a couple of months ago, carefully filed it in my bin under "stuff to ignore" and haven't heard anything since, but then again I watch all my telly stuff on "alluc.org" so I don't need one!

I wouldn't worry about it- just ride it out! If they come round and check then they'll give a notice (about 14 days or so) to buy a license- that's what they did to my boyfriend when he was in a very similar situation a couple of years ago :smile:
Reply 5
To the op - your son needs a license. At my uni they give the inspectors free reign to enter the halls and bedrooms, and a few weeks ago about ten people got caught. You are allowed to deny them entry but obviously that's no good if you're out at a class. However, you can get a refund for any months that you don't use, but it's a long winded process.

This is a bit off topic, but I'm just curious about something I noticed last year when I was helping a friend (an international student) sort out her TV license. Basically, she set up a direct debit and for the first six months she was charged double. Obviously she was worried that she'd been overcharged, and as her english wasn't great, and she asked me to deal with the licensing people on the phone. It turns out that if you pay by direct debit then they take double for the first six months so that you're always six months in credit with them. Is this just me or does this seem a little unfair, especially for students/internationals who might actually only need a license for a year? My friend wasn't able to get a refund for this extra money either. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this ...
Reply 6
aleathiel
Is he using a tv or anything that can receive a tv signal?

Only anything that can receive a TV signal. TVs are not licensable in themselves.

we all got those letters in my halls, even me and I don't own a tv!

Shocking - but bloody obvious if you think about it. How would they know you didn't have one?

Paeony
To the op - your son needs a license. At my uni they give the inspectors free reign to enter the halls and bedrooms, and a few weeks ago about ten people got caught. You are allowed to deny them entry but obviously that's no good if you're out at a class. However, you can get a refund for any months that you don't use, but it's a long winded process.

I'm amazed at that - your uni wasting an employee's time to help them out and show them around for no gain to the university. I just don't see why they'd behave in such a way.

I can't imagine a private landlord - as in the OP's case - would dare do something like this. In face, he'll probably find in his tenancy agreement that the landlord has to give reasonable notice before entering his property except in emergencies.
Reply 7
He can gain a refund for the 6 months unused at the end of the tenancy
Reply 8
I was thinking...
I want to take a tv to uni, but not to watch tv. I just want to hook it up to my 360/wii. If i was to use a pc monitor to play my games, i'd still have to buy a tv license?:confused:
Reply 9
If it's a PC monitor no, unless you have a TV card in your computer.
Reply 10
Well kind of Alex. As long as you didnt have an aerial with the TV, and all the channels were tuned out, you can have a TV for video use. Thats what most of the people say to get out of paying the fine :biggrin:
wackysparkle
lol - me and my flatmates always had this problem. we are also at private halls, but then we have to get a tv license, the problem was that not everyone was willing to pay! so we sufficed and we haven't actualy been watching TV since, coz we are just afraid of getting fined. But as far as i can see, there are many people who don't have one and haven't got caught.
But, just to be on the safe side, i suggest he pays coz its not a lot when the money is split up, and its way better than being fined 1000 per person!

just to clarify this though, you talk of "we" and "splitting" the license.

You cannot cover a flat in a halls of residence with one license, you need a license PER ROOM!!!! (unless it's a joint tenancy agreement).
sorry i wasn't clear - i was talking about the TV that is in the communal area. but yes, i know that you need individual licenses if you have a tv in your room
I thought it was one licesnce for a flatas long as there aren't locks on the doors...
nah, communal TV means you split up the cost --- but then tvs in individual rooms means you need another license?!?!?!?!? --- i dunno sounds stupid
Reply 15
I have a mini tv locked in my metal suitcase when I'm gone. Even if they checked they wouldn't be able to open it.
Reply 16
wackysparkle
nah, communal TV means you split up the cost --- but then tvs in individual rooms means you need another license?!?!?!?!? --- i dunno sounds stupid

If a room has a lock on it then you need a separate licence.
You need a licence if you are watching TV. If the TV is in your room you need a licence to yourself. If it is in a communal area, you only need one between all the people sharing it.

If you are not using the TV to watch programmes (i.e. for playing games or watching DVDs) you don't need a licence, but you need to be able to prove that you're not watching TV, so don't have the channels tuned or the aerial plugged in.
My understanding is that any area that everyone residing in the flat has free access to (ie no locks on the door) then one licence will cover that entire area. Where individual bedrooms have a lock on the door and a TV that receives a TV signal (ie you watch TV on it) then a seperate licence is required for each room where that is the situation.

The TV licence is baisically a tax levied by the government on the citizens of the United Kingdom. It is just like any other tax (Council Tax, VAT, Income Tax, Prescription tax) in that if you don't pay the tax you risk a court apearence and if convicted a fine of up to £1000 and probably a criminal record. Non-payment of the fine could see you going to prison.

It is probably better that you just cough up the £131.50 for the colour licence (providing you are using a colour TV!) than risk all the problems caused by being prosecuted! If you have any doubts as to whether you require a TV licence then the best advice is to contact the TV Licencing Authority. (The Licence fee rises from 1 April 2007)

If you are using your TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for a games console then you need to inform the licencing authorities in Writing that this is the case and one of their enforcement officers may pay a visit to you to confirm that you do not need a licence.

If you need to contact the TV licencing authorities then you can do so by post (TV Licensing, Bristol, BS98 1TL); phone (0870 241 6468); E-mail ([email protected]) and good old fax (0870 240 1187).

The website can be found at www.tvlicencing.co.uk
I have a tv card on my pc but I don't use it (no arial) is this going to be a problem?

Latest

Trending

Trending