The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

wesetters
I'm not sure, but as you don't use it, why not just take it out ?

Effort? :p:
If I had an ariel and a TV, but didn't use it I would not be required to have a licence. It is only if you use it to receive and view television pictures do you require to have a licence.

If you have Tvs etc and don't use them for receiving TV then you are supposed to contact the Licenceing AUthorities to inform them that the situation is just that.

If you have any doubts contact the TV licenceing people (see my previous post in this topic for contact details).
Reply 22
Fluent in Lies
Effort? :p:

Big fine?
Reply 23
It seems to depend on the uni if they come round or not, they have at mine but it is easy to get into halls, I just wouldn't let them in to waste a bit more of their time. They just walked into one of my mates rooms cos she had the door propped open and saw a tv, but she had never tuned it, just used it for dvds etc. However he still turned it on, apparently getting channel 5 all fuzzy counts as watching tv and she had to buy a license there and then. Most people just stayed out of their flats for the day or pretended they didn't live there so they didn't get caught.
Reply 24
So ive just had my "Offical Warning" letter, so am expecting a visit eventually. So I am definately within my rights to refuse them access without a warrant?
Im annoyed by the general tone of thier letters- at the top "BUY A TV LICENCE NOW" and at the bottom in half the font size "or write to us to say you havent got a tv"
Their whole attitude annoys me really..
Reply 25
i liver there to and got the same letter.

You can buy a tv licence if they come round amd check. Although since I have a portable tv it will be cheaper to just smash it to bits before they come round
Reply 26
If I had an ariel and a TV, but didn't use it I would not be required to have a licence. It is only if you use it to receive and view television pictures do you require to have a licence.

If you have Tvs etc and don't use them for receiving TV then you are supposed to contact the Licenceing AUthorities to inform them that the situation is just that.

If you have any doubts contact the TV licenceing people (see my previous post in this topic for contact details).

A poor interpretation of the actual situation.

True, use is required to establish guilt for TV licence evasion. The problem however is that there is a presumption by courts in favour of it if you possess a television. They need not actually show use beyond reasonable doubt, per se, you need to demonstrate on the balance of probabilities that you don't. Removing the aeriel obviously demonstrates this adequately; if, however, there is a TV, plugged in, wired up and with channels tuned in then you're not going to get off on such a charge.

There's no responsibility to ever have anything to do with the TV Licensing organisation (it is not any sort of 'authority'). I certainly wouldn't rely on them to give an accurate picture of the law.

goodmen
Although since I have a portable tv it will be cheaper to just smash it to bits before they come round

"Eat the telly!"
GrantMac
I was thinking...
I want to take a tv to uni, but not to watch tv. I just want to hook it up to my 360/wii. If i was to use a pc monitor to play my games, i'd still have to buy a tv license?:confused:

Quite simply, YES

this should answer all your questions:
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/students.jsp

and these excuses should be amusing to read
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/excuses.jsp
Reply 28
xXMessedUpXx
Quite simply, YES

this should answer all your questions:
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/students.jsp

and these excuses should be amusing to read
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/excuses.jsp

Actually, no.

If you don't use the TV for watching TV, then you don't need a licence. You can use it for only playing games consoles.
Reply 29
What? Indeed. you DO NOT need a licence unless you are revieving an outside broadcast. You will be fine using it for a games console. Just make sure that the TV is detuned- so no picture shows up on any other channels, even without an aerial
Reply 30
Yes, again just to confirm - no licence is needed for any sort of monitor - or a television that is not used to receive a broadcast transmission. As I've mentioned elsewhere, this would be presumed in court unless you have some evidence to the contrary - ie that it was not plugged in, or that it didn't have an aeriel and the channels were detuned etc.
I cant believe anyone woulld risk, not only a fine, but a Criminal record for the want of £136. Seems daft to me.
donuticus
I cant believe anyone woulld risk, not only a fine, but a Criminal record for the want of £136. Seems daft to me.

If you actually think you'll get a criminal record for not having a TV Licence, then you're not really in the real world. Courts and magistrates have a lot better things to do than to prosecute the many many students that don't have tv licences
Reply 33
Sure, but at the same time, the law is the law and I don't think we should really be encouraging people to break it by saying 'don't let them in'. If you have a TV and are using it to receive broadcasts, do the honest and decent thing by buying a licence.
Reply 34
donuticus

Because the risk is so tiny, because I disagree with the concept, because a criminal record for such a minor thing is fairly meaningless and because they'd have a very hard time fining someone like me with no real income who (at least officially) lives hand-to-mouth.

To be frank though, they're not going to catch me and it's good fun.

JordanLUFC
If you actually think you'll get a criminal record for not having a TV Licence, then you're not really in the real world. Courts and magistrates have a lot better things to do than to prosecute the many many students that don't have tv licences

You will, in fact. TV Licence evasion is one of the most prosecuted offences in Britain - but one to which the majority of people plead guilty by post before it even goes to trial.

They prosecute a lot, and every one gets a criminal record. However it just goes to show how stupid most people are - almost all convictions are based on one of three things:

1. We asked him, and he said he had an unlicenced TV;
2. We say a TV through the front window in full use, or;
3. We knocked his door and he let us into his living room.

It's ridiculous how stupid British people are. But it also highlights a problem with the system - it's the stupid people who are getting caught, who are usually the people who can afford it least to get fined and such, or receive proper legal representation.

That's why simple evasion isn't enough. People should actually be willing to stand up against the very idea of TV licensing.

Alex Mann
Sure, but at the same time, the law is the law and I don't think we should really be encouraging people to break it by saying 'don't let them in'. If you have a TV and are using it to receive broadcasts, do the honest and decent thing by buying a licence.

Maybe the state should do the decent thing and not extort money with the threat of force from television set owners.

Encouraging people not to let people into their home who have a record of assault and are not vetted with the usual criminal records checks and who turn up uninvited is just common sense. Encouraging people not to slavishly obey the state where they have NO authority, at their own expense, is good for society.
Reply 35
Lib North
Maybe the state should do the decent thing and not extort money with the threat of force from television set owners.

There are better ways to make an impact than just breaking the law however. Changing their vote, protests, campaigns.
Reply 36
dude just throw it in the cubbord when they come they wont tell you show us your undies or at most just not let them in or go for a walk tehy wont come wen ur not there
Reply 37
Alex Mann
There are better ways to make an impact than just breaking the law however. Changing their vote, protests, campaigns.

Well to be blunt, it's more fun this way, and it doesn't hurt anybody.

Latest

Trending

Trending