The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Ask about open days and applying to Sheffield for 2016 entry

Hello,

We've been travelling up and down the UK to UCAS fairs and to schools and colleges to meet Year 12 and Lower Sixth Form students who will be applying to university for 2016 entry.

It's a really exciting time as you plan what to do next so we've set up this thread so you can ask questions and meet other students.

Some useful web links to have to hand are below:

Applying essentials: www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply

UCAS: www.ucas.com

University of Sheffield courses: www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/

University of Sheffield open days: www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/opendays

Funding and finance: www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/finance

We look forward to hearing from you!

Scroll to see replies

Just wondering if you are really insisting that only one parent per prospective applicant can attend departmental talks **regardless of subject**? I shall be really annoyed if one parent has to twiddle their thumbs tomorrow (there's no appropriate talk eg the 'How on earth am I going to afford for my child to come here?' going on concurrently) whilst the other two in the party sit in the usual half empty room (to judge by three other equivalent uni open day sessions for this subject.... and it is still showing on the bookings as having spaces)
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Felt sorry for anyone who would have liked to take two parents/supporters into our talk but didn't because of the advance informaiton. There was room, as I expected. Fortunately we ignored the stipulation.
Original post by dirtmother
Felt sorry for anyone who would have liked to take two parents/supporters into our talk but didn't because of the advance informaiton. There was room, as I expected. Fortunately we ignored the stipulation.

Hi,

I'm very sorry for the delay in getting back to you, which I appreciate is well after last week's open day, and I'm pleased that both your parents were able to attend the subject talk.

Our July open days are some of our busiest events. To ensure that we can accommodate as many prospective students as possible in the subject talks we use our largest rooms and lecture theatres and put on extra talks but even so, for some subjects we still need to manage audience numbers. The fairest way of managing demand is to limit the number of guests (non-students) in the audience. We appreciate that this sometimes means that not all members of a family group can attend exactly the same activities. However, whilst the subject talks are taking place there are lots of other things taking place for people to do - there are subject exhibitions, the university fair, self-guided campus tours, library tours, accommodation tours, talks on student finance, accommodation and study abroad as well as plenty of cafes where visitors can take a well earned break! Often we find that there's so much to see and do, families will choose to do different things at certain points of the day so they can see everything. Then, back at home, they share news and info from what they've done.

For family groups that prefer to stay together, it's not a problem for everyone in the group to arrive at the room being used for a subject talk. However, if the talk is fully subscribed, then I'm afraid we do need to apply the 'one guest per student' approach. If there is enough room for us to accommodate everyone, then, as you found, we are happy for extra guests to join the talk.

Thank you for visiting Sheffield and I hope that the open day was useful.

Have a good weekend

Best regards

Elizabeth
UK/EU Student Recruitment Officer
Hi,

I'm considering applying for medicine in 2016. I was wondering if Sheffield valued the EPQ and how they used it.
Thank you.
Original post by ScarletRose
Hi,

I'm considering applying for medicine in 2016. I was wondering if Sheffield valued the EPQ and how they used it.
Thank you.

Good morning :smile:

As a university we value the EPQ. It's the closest you can get to the university study experience before you come to university as it enables you to define and manage your own research project. The EPQ is also a great way to demonstrate a subject interest and gives you a substantive example you can use in your UCAS personal statement. With a subject like medicine, you can also use the EPQ in a more tactical way. For example:

(i) if most of your work/voluntary experience is in a caring environment (ie you've worked with people), then you may choose to do your EPQ on a more science-based topic to demonstrate that as well as working with people you also enjoy the science side of medicine.

(ii) it might that your work/voluntary experience has given you an interest in a public health issue and you use your EPQ to find out more about this issue.

(iii) you might want to use the EPQ to demonstrate your interest in a different area of medicine to the one you've gained work/voluntary experience in. For example, if you shadowed a doctor in a geriatric ward, you may choose to do an EPQ on a health-related issue for children or younger people to show your interest in a range of different patient groups.

So, the EPQ gives you lots of options and it's your call about where you'd like to go with it.

Currently, the EPQ does not form part of the offers we make for medcine. Instead, the qualifications we take into consideration are your GCSEs, AS-levels, and A-levels (or acceptable equivalent qualifications). Our preferred pre-admisisons test is the UKCAT (minimum points score 2,510). You can find full details of our entry criteria here:

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/acad_a100
and here:
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/entryrequire

I'd advise having a good look through the medicine pages on our website as they provide a lot of good advice information about interviews and the application process.

Good luck with your application :smile:

Best regards

Elizabeth
Hello,

I wanted to ask, regarding voluntary work and charities, is it necessary that I have a certificate or some form of evidence, to show what I've done? And is it the same for work experience?

Thank you
Original post by PharaohFromSpace
Hello,

I wanted to ask, regarding voluntary work and charities, is it necessary that I have a certificate or some form of evidence, to show what I've done? And is it the same for work experience?

Thank you

Good afternoon :smile:

Normally, we wouldn't expect you to provide documentary evidence to demonstrate the voluntary or work experience you've done. However, I would advise that you keep the name and contact details (address, email and phone number) of someone (usually a manager) at the place where you've worked/volunteered in case anyone does want to follow up where you've worked or if you need a reference.

Note: you will need a reference for your UCAS form but this is usually written by tutors at your school or college.

Good luck with your application!

Elizabeth
Original post by The University of Sheffield

Normally, we wouldn't expect you to provide documentary evidence to demonstrate the voluntary or work experience you've done. However, I would advise that you keep the name and contact details (address, email and phone number) of someone (usually a manager) at the place where you've worked/volunteered in case anyone does want to follow up where you've worked or if you need a reference.

Note: you will need a reference for your UCAS form but this is usually written by tutors at your school or college.

Good luck with your application!

Elizabeth

Ok, thank you for your reply!
Do we have to register for an open in order to go to one?
Original post by EducatedFH
Do we have to register for an open in order to go to one?

Morning! :smile:

You don't need to register to attend a university open day but it is strongly advised. When you book a place at our open day you can reserve a place on up to 2 subject talks. The subject talks are the best way of gaining a thorough understanding of both the course and the department and some talks also include a tour of the department. As the subject talks are popular, they can become fully booked and if you don't reserve a place, you may not be able to attend. When you book a place, you'll also be sent a copy of the open day brochure, that provides full details of the day and a blank planner so you can work out what you'd like to see whilst you're on campus.

We have two open days coming up - Saturday 5 September and Saturday 24 October. If you are applying for medicine or dentistry, we advise coming for the 5 September so you can see the university before the UCAS application deadline (which is 15 October for medicine and dentistry courses). You can book your place online at: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/opendays

If you'd like to get a sense of campus and what Sheffield is like, our campus tour video presented by student Helen Monk may help:
[video="youtube;wPy6bglzE_k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPy6bglzE_k[/video]

We look forward to seeing you :smile:

Best regards

Elizabeth
Reply 11
Morning! :smile:

You don't need to register to attend a university open day but it is strongly advised. When you book a place at our open day you can reserve a place on up to 2 subject talks. The subject talks are the best way of gaining a thorough understanding of both the course and the department and some talks also include a tour of the department. As the subject talks are popular, they can become fully booked and if you don't reserve a place, you may not be able to attend. When you book a place, you'll also be sent a copy of the open day brochure, that provides full details of the day and a blank planner so you can work out what you'd like to see whilst you're on campus.

We have two open days coming up - Saturday 5 September and Saturday 24 October. If you are applying for medicine or dentistry, we advise coming for the 5 September so you can see the university before the UCAS application deadline (which is 15 October for medicine and dentistry courses). You can book your place online at: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/opendays

If you'd like to get a sense of campus and what Sheffield is like, our campus tour video presented by student Helen Monk may help:
[video="youtube;wPy6bglzE_k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPy6bglzE_k[/video]

We look forward to seeing you :smile:

Best regards

Elizabeth

Which hall would you recommend for postgrads? Needs to be a bit quiet as I'm doing an intense course (MSc Statistics) 😓
Original post by EdiAnl
Which hall would you recommend for postgrads? Needs to be a bit quiet as I'm doing an intense course (MSc Statistics) 😓

We have three accommodation locations - Endcliffe, Ranmoor and City. Endcliffe and Ranmoor are near to each other and about a 25-minute walk from campus whereas City is very close to the main university library (the Information Commons). At each location we manage room allocations so that students from the same year group or level of study are grouped together. As a postgraduate, you will be offered a room with other postgraduate students. This doesn't guarantee you a quiet flat (as it all depends on your flat mates) but I hope it provides some reassurance that you won't be sharing with students from a different year group who may have different study/social life priorities.

Our accommodation service has produced some great 360 degree tours so you can see inside the rooms (click on the blue circles to access each location):
http://360degreevirtualtours.group.shef.ac.uk/

Best regards

Elizabeth
Reply 13
May I know the number of places available for international students (non-eu) for your Dentistry course? What will you be looking for other than AAA in A levels and Ukcat?
Also, for the 2014 entry applicants, how many students admitted were studying A levels and how many were international?
May I know the ukcat score of the applicants?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PikaNing
May I know the number of places available for international students (non-eu) for your Dentistry course? What will you be looking for other than AAA in A levels and Ukcat?
Also, for the 2014 entry applicants, how many students admitted were studying A levels and how many were international?
May I know the ukcat score of the applicants?

I have forwarded your enquiry to our Dental School and I will be in touch when I have heard back from them.

Kind regards

Elizabeth
Hello,
Today I got my AS Results:

Sociology: A
Psychology: B (2 UMS off an A)
Film Studies: C (5 UMS off a B)

and I would like to apply for Politics starting in 2016. However I know that the course asks for AAB - is it worth applying with these grades? Or should I just try for Politics and Sociology, which is ABB? Also I have had to retake year 12 because my subjects weren't right for me, (I do have an E in AS Biology from last year) would this affect my application at all? I feel I could write a fairly strong PS.

Sorry, you've probably been asked this questions hundreds of times!

Thank you! :smile:
Hi
I got my AS results today:
English Lit: B
Religious Studies: A
Spanish: D

I am obviously thinking of dropping Spanish but am wondering if this will go against me as it will leave me with only one 'academic'/'facilitating' subject? I am thinking of applying for English Lit (AAB) 2016 entry but would it be better to carry on with four and keep my two 'academic' subjects?

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense and thank you!
Original post by angellec
Hi
I got my AS results today:
English Lit: B
Religious Studies: A
Spanish: D

I am obviously thinking of dropping Spanish but am wondering if this will go against me as it will leave me with only one 'academic'/'facilitating' subject? I am thinking of applying for English Lit (AAB) 2016 entry but would it be better to carry on with four and keep my two 'academic' subjects?

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense and thank you!

Congratulations on your AS-level results! I'm also delighted that you're thinking about applying to Sheffield. Your current selection of subjects are all considered 'academic' subjects by Sheffield (www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/policies/alevel) so you can drop Spanish without any concerns that it would affect your application.

The English Department has provided further guidance about how to apply for English Lit, including advice on what to include in your personal statement. You can see all this at: www.sheffield.ac.uk/english/ugc/entry (you can download the personal statement guidance from the right-hand menu on the page).

Good luck with your UCAS application.

Elizabeth

Congratulations on your AS-level results! I'm also delighted that you're thinking about applying to Sheffield. Your current selection of subjects are all considered 'academic' subjects by Sheffield (www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/policies/alevel) so you can drop Spanish without any concerns that it would affect your application.

The English Department has provided further guidance about how to apply for English Lit, including advice on what to include in your personal statement. You can see all this at: www.sheffield.ac.uk/english/ugc/entry (you can download the personal statement guidance from the right-hand menu on the page).

Good luck with your UCAS application.

Elizabeth

Thanks so much! This has put my mind at ease now and I will check out those links :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got a deferred place at Newcastle Uni, so I'll be starting in September 2016, but I've found a course I'm really interested in at Sheffield which is also a more preferable destination for me. If I was to apply to this course, would I have to resubmit a whole new UCAS application with new personal statements, references etc?

Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending