The Student Room Group

What do you consider long term relationship material v short fling material?

And what type of people would you not consider for either?

Scroll to see replies

Long term (marriage): a woman who is passive, submissive, doesn't argue, doesn't cause arguments or trouble, has very strong values, doesn't moan and complain about small things, is patient, does what she is told, doesn't demand big things, is easy going and relaxed. A woman who isn't stubborn, sneaky or difficult.

Fling: slutty girls, girls who give it away really easily, loose women, girls with low self esteem and girls who have no self respect. Must be attractive and sexy.

Type of girls I wouldn't consider for either: unattractive girls.

Looks are pretty much the only thing that matters, unless you want to marry the girl, in which case you need to address her other qualities and bad traits.
(edited 8 years ago)
Long term: intelligent, can hold a conversation, ambitious, thinking about the future (knows if they want marriage, kids)

Short fling: basically the opposite.
Long term: Mentally strong, strong willed, responsible, intelligent, kind, fun, feisty, etc.

Short term: Not clingy

Original post by Liquid Harvest
Long term (marriage): a woman who is passive, submissive, doesn't argue, doesn't cause arguments or trouble, has very strong values, doesn't moan and complain about small things, is patient, does what she is told, doesn't demand big things, is easy going and relaxed. A woman who isn't stubborn, sneaky or difficult.

Dude, you want a maid or a wife?

Sounds like one hell of a boring relationship. Good luck finding a woman who has "strong values" but "doesn't cause arguments". If someone is passionate about anything, and someone else views their beliefs with disdain or disregard, then they're going to defend them. Psychology 101, dude.

I'll agree with you on not unnecessarily demanding extravagant gifts, and being sneaky/difficult. The rest of it is very subjective, and I can 90% guarantee you that you won't find someone who will check off everything on that list.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Long term: Intelligent, ambitious and career-oriented, kind, funny, can have a discussion with

Short term: Just like protégé said, not clingy
Original post by Drunk Punx
Sounds like one hell of a boring relationship. Good luck finding a woman who has "strong values" but "doesn't cause arguments". If someone is passionate about anything, and someone else views their beliefs with disdain or disregard, then they're going to defend them. Psychology 101, dude.

I'll agree with you on not unnecessarily demanding extravagant gifts, and being sneaky/difficult. The rest of it is very subjective, and I can 90% guarantee you that you won't find someone who will check off everything on that list.

Boring how? You want a wife or a long term partner who is difficult, argumentative, loud and grumpy? Is that really what you want? The thing about a long term relationship is that you're going to be living with that person and seeing them every single day in some cases, so that's why my potential wife MUST be relaxed and easy going, I can't be dealing with arguments every single day. I prefer boring over a miserable relationship full of arguing and stubbornness.

I know with absolute certainty that the woman I am searching for does not exist. Modern women are very demanding. They demand expensive weddings, they demand extravagant romantic gestures, they expect to be treated like queens. They love to stir up arguments and disagree with their man just for the sake of being difficult. This is why hopefully I won't ever get married or get involved in any more long term relationships. I'm not built for it, I'm too easily annoyed by annoying women. There are no submissive women anymore. Women have developed a taste for independence and bitchiness, it's a shame really.
(edited 8 years ago)

Fling: slutty girls, girls who give it away really easily, loose women, girls with low self esteem and girls who have no self respect. Must be attractive and sexy.

Looks are pretty much the only thing that matters, unless you want to marry the girl, in which case you need to address her other qualities and bad traits.

Good luck mate.
Original post by UnicornSparkle13
Good luck mate.

Haha, I know for a fact that there's no woman alive who fits that description. I realised this a very long time ago. That's why I don't believe in relationships, only sex.
Boring how? You want a wife or a long term partner who is difficult, argumentative, loud and grumpy? Is that really what you want? The thing about a long term relationship is that you're going to be living with that person and seeing them every single day in some cases, so that's why my potential wife MUST be relaxed easy going, I can't be dealing with arguments every single day. I prefer boring over a miserable relationship full of arguing and stubbornness.

Arguments are fun. Not emotion-laden arguments over forgetting to put the toilet seat down or not buying enough milk, but arguments in the sense of debating. How can you know the limits of someone if you never have an argument with them? How can you judge how passionate someone is about something if you've never seem them put any emotion (while not losing a semblance of rationality) into a debate?

Sounds like you want a woman who will agree with you over everything. Let me be the first to say that life isn't like that. Good luck :h:

I know with absolute certainty that the woman I am searching for does not exist. Modern women are very demanding. They demand expensive weddings, they demand extravagant romantic gestures, they expect to be treated like queens. They love to stir up arguments and disagree with their man just for the sake of being difficult. This is why hopefully I won't ever get married or get involved in any more long term relationships. I'm not built for it, I'm too easily annoyed by annoying women. There are no submissive women anymore. Women have developed a taste for independence and bitchiness, it's a shame really.

Really? My girlfriend doesn't. I know she's not the exception to the "rule" because I know plenty of other women who are like her. I also know plenty of women who are exactly as you've described, but you can't tar them all with the same brush.

Yeah, damn women eternally for having an independent streak :rolleyes:

You're not a king, stop expecting to be treated like one. Kinda ironic that you want a woman who won't ask for anything yet you seem to be expecting your next girlfriend to agree with you on everything.
(edited 8 years ago)
Long term: attractive, ambitious, passionate, caring and wanting marriage/children in the future

short term: crotch size (yup pretty shallow... lol) and erm that`s it I guess..
Boring how? You want a wife or a long term partner who is difficult, argumentative, loud and grumpy? Is that really what you want? The thing about a long term relationship is that you're going to be living with that person and seeing them every single day in some cases, so that's why my potential wife MUST be relaxed and easy going, I can't be dealing with arguments every single day. I prefer boring over a miserable relationship full of arguing and stubbornness.

Not all of us do. :lolwut:

I'm probably one of the closest women around to fit your description in the OP. But then, I'm not really a 'modern woman' - I would have suited being born eras ago more :moon:
Original post by Maid Marian
Not all of us do. :lolwut:

I'm probably one of the closest women around to fit your description in the OP. But then, I'm not really a 'modern woman' - I would have suited being born eras ago more :moon:

I blame Hollywood and the music industry for corrupting the minds of young girls. They expect their boyfriends to throw huge birthday celebrations for them, they'd be disappointed if they didn't receive an expensive engagement ring, they'd feel unappreciated if their boyfriends didn't frequently take them to expensive restaurants and buy them plenty of gifts. That's just my own personal experience. No woman would let you throw her a modest wedding, you need to spend tens of thousands of pounds to satisfy them and their families. And I suck at romantic gestures and "cute things" because I just don't do that, it makes me cringe. Things like birthday cards, gifts, anniversaries...not for me. Exotic holiday twice a year? No thank you.
I blame Hollywood and the music industry for corrupting the minds of young girls. They expect their boyfriends to throw huge birthday celebrations for them, they'd be disappointed if they didn't receive an expensive engagement ring, they'd feel unappreciated if their boyfriends didn't frequently take them to expensive restaurants and buy them plenty of gifts. That's just my own personal experience. No woman would let you throw her a modest wedding, you need to spend tens of thousands of pounds to satisfy them and their families. And I suck at romantic gestures and "cute things" because I just don't do that, it makes me cringe. Things like birthday cards, gifts, anniversaries...not for me. Exotic holiday twice a year? No thank you.

Ok... did you even read my post...? And stop rambling, you just sound bitter.
Original post by Drunk Punx
Arguments are fun. Not emotion-laden arguments over forgetting to put the toilet seat down or not buying enough milk, but arguments in the sense of debating. How can you know the limits of someone if you never have an argument with them? How can you judge how passionate someone is about something if you've never seem them put any emotion (while not losing a semblance of rationality) into a debate?

Sounds like you want a woman who will agree with you over everything. Let me be the first to say that life isn't like that. Good luck :h:

Really? My girlfriend doesn't. I know she's not the exception to the "rule" because I know plenty of other women who are like her. I also know plenty of women who are exactly as you've described, but you can't tar them all with the same brush.

Yeah, damn women eternally for having an independent streak :rolleyes:

You're not a king, stop expecting to be treated like one. Kinda ironic that you want a woman who won't ask for anything yet you seem to be expecting your next girlfriend to agree with you on everything.

I'm not expecting to be treated like a king. I want to be treated in a calm manner. I'm a very relaxed and easy going person, I always avoid any sort of argument or confrontation if I can help it because that sort of thing drains me. I don't expect a girl to agree with me on everything! She should have her own personality and character, but if we disagree on soemthig then I need her to be able to deal with that in a calm manner, no fighting or getting angry and upset. And she needs to compromise and do what I say, and in return I will also compromise and do things just for the sake of pleasing her, whenever necessary (and within reason). I want her to have her own thoughts and ideas but that shouldn't be something that makes her stubborn. You've misunderstood me because I haven't made myself clear, I don't want a mindless sheep, I would never ask something unreasonable of her or treat her like a slave or a child. Simple things like leaving her hair long, or taking care of her appearance (just one example, don't laugh).
Original post by Maid Marian
Ok... did you even read my post...? And stop rambling, you just sound bitter.

You've got a bad attitude man. So mean.

:troll:

What more can be said?

I'm such a meanie.

Original post by Friar Chris
:troll:
What more can be said?

I hope you mean him and not me :pierre: :erm: :redface: :getmecoat:
Long term: passionate, intelligent, ambitious and motivated, responsible, mature, holds convos and adds to the convo.

Short term: yeah, it's been said, not clingy, don't have them crazy eyes, don't get jealous or possessive either.
(edited 8 years ago)

Oh ****. Good luck :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending