The Student Room Group

Prospective maths students: Don't go to Warwick Unis "Problem solving conference"

Just went to Warwick Uni's "Student maths problem solving conference" and it was a complete waste of time.

All the questions were dumbed down beyond belief (we got questions like sketching x^2 + 1, finding how many times 100! divides 10 and so on), the event was overall very boring, I learned nothing at all the whole day and my maths skills did not improve at all. Almost everything that was taught was covered in year 9 :facepalm:

It was a complete waste of time and I am extremely disappointed in Warwick Uni for making such a pathetic programme.

(Also lmao the maths admissions tutor evaluated L2L1=0L^2 - L - 1 = 0 incorrectly and stated that 1+52\displaystyle\frac{-1+\sqrt5}{2} is the golden ratio :rofl:)

FFS warwick, get your act together! This is an event for 6th form, not lower fifth!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Scarlet Sword
Just went to Warwick Uni's "Student maths problem solving conference" and it was a complete waste of time.

Although my bias against Warwick is well known, these type of conferences from most universities are a total waste.

Also lmao the maths admissions tutor evaluated L2L1=0L^2 - L - 1 = 0 incorrectly and stated that 1+52\displaystyle\frac{-1+\sqrt5}{2} is the golden ratio :rofl:

These things happen ... It does not matter how high you perch you can still make silly mistakes or even blunder. I have no problem with that.
Original post by TeeEm

These things happen ... It does not matter how high you perch you can still make silly mistakes or even blunder. I have no problem with that.

True that, but still, :rofl:
Reply 3
True that, but still, :rofl:

maybe the chap suffers with "lecture fright" in analogy to "stage fright"
Original post by TeeEm
Although my bias against Warwick is well known, these type of conferences from most universities are a total waste.

Just out of interest, what is your bias against Warwick?
Original post by TeeEm
maybe the chap suffers with "lecture fright" in analogy to "stage fright"

no... you know what was worse.. .it was on the powerpoint (so it was made beforehand)... and when he was going through the lecture he still didnt realise it was wrong and we were all too busy chuckling too tell him
no... you know what was worse.. .it was on the powerpoint (so it was made beforehand)... and when he was going through the lecture he still didnt realise it was wrong and we were all too busy chuckling too tell him

Who was it giving the lecture?
Original post by brittanna
Who was it giving the lecture?

I can't remember what was his name but it was an admissions tutor giving a brief 30 minute talk on 'strategies in problem solving'
I can't remember what was his name but it was an admissions tutor giving a brief 30 minute talk on 'strategies in problem solving'

Does the name Dave Wood sound familiar? This man: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/people/staff/dave_wood/wood.jpg
Does the name Dave Wood sound familiar? This man: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/people/staff/dave_wood/wood.jpg

nah definitely not that man
Reply 10
Just out of interest, what is your bias against Warwick?

I am too busy to have an in depth conversation in the matter.

Usually I am told that I stir up .... , then I will be attacked and by the end I will be called a troll!
Original post by TeeEm
Usually I am told that I stir up .... , then I will be attacked and by the end I will be called a troll!

I thought warwick was on par with Imperial until i went to this course lol

When I went to Imperial in y9 (and i was the oldest in the group, the other people were y8 or 7) they taught the RSA algorithim, parametric equations and game theory lmao... not this "sketch x^2 + 1" trivial junk lmao...

and imperial was nicer as a place as well
Original post by TeeEm

Ah, no problems then. If you do get time though, I'd be interested to hear your reasons :smile:. I won't attack you or call you a troll or anything :tongue:.
Original post by TeeEm
I am too busy to have an in depth conversation in the matter.Usually I am told that I stir up .... , then I will be attacked and by the end I will be called a troll!

Ah, no problems then. If you do get time though, I'd be interested to hear your reasons :smile:. I won't attack you or call you a troll or anything :tongue:.

Me too me too! I'm going to apply to it this october. And I was thinking of making it my second choice (if I get an offer)!!
I thought warwick was on par with Imperial until i went to this course lol
When I went to Imperial in y9 (and i was the oldest in the group, the other people were y8 or 7) they taught the RSA algorithim, parametric equations and game theory lmao... not this "sketch x^2 + 1" trivial junk lmao...
and imperial was nicer as a place as well

Which one do you think is going to be your second choice then? (You're applying to Cambridge right?)
The talks at the open day I went to last year were good, particularly the 4th year project talks. I wouldn't form an opinion based on one lecture that doesn't appear to have been aimed at you. That said, I preferred Imperial's taster lecture which was essentially a rapid introduction to Probability Theory from its axioms.
Original post by gagafacea1
Which one do you think is going to be your second choice then? (You're applying to Cambridge right?)

lol i would have picked warwick over imperial but now it seems that imperial is defo better than warwick
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't know who delivered the Warwick event, but I have given similar workshops elsewhere. It isn't so easy to pitch material at an audience with quite a broad ability range. Quite often I get negative feedback from teachers who say my material is not accessible to their students.

I'll PM you the problem I give to delegates who get to the end of the workshop questions.
Laugh all you want OP,that lecturer is still more successful than you (for now).
If it was free and there was freebies to be had, then it wasn't a total waste lol.

I went to something slightly similar at my uni when I was in year 9 or 10 and we looked at game theory and complex numbers, and I thought the complex numbers stuff was too hard. But there were people there who were doing a level who I imagine found it really easy.

finding how many times 100! divides 10

0 times?

Quick Reply

Latest