The Student Room Group

Are you studying in preparation for uni?

Reply 1
kind of
yes, did biology a level 2 years ago and have forgotten it all so learning a&p stuff for september
Not really. One of the last conversations I had with my teacher advising me about preping for uni was simply 'don't'. As I'm doing English Lit, she said try and read some classics/stuff that might on the course, but have a break from anaysis and binge on trashy novels.
(edited 8 years ago)

I'm planning to go over the A level chemistry syllabus and I've found so useful youtube videos related to the course content so plan to watch these, to get an idea of what to expect from the science side of the course. I've even signed up to two online courses related to pharmacy and medicine, and my reading list also included various books about drugs and the pharmaceutical industry. I find all this stuff quite interesting so it should be quite enjoyable and worthwhile :biggrin:

EDIT: We also have to memorise information about 25 different drugs during the first year, so it won't hurt starting early .
(edited 8 years ago)
>studying for first year
>not tripping all balls and angels from june till october in Ibiza
>mfw

In all seriousness, the only benefit studying ahead will give you is (perhaps) high test scores in uni, which will impress professors etc and make them like you, but don't over-exert yourself... better start with a fresh mind...
I'm doing computer science next year but at the moment I'm just programming and writing apps for fun :P
Reply 7
I'm keeping it calm and relaxed. I might read a bit on the American Revolution while on holiday (as I'm doing history from September) but other than that nothing too serious.
Not sure about the upper years but frankly, I'd only consider it a good idea to prepare for uni if there's been a break of more than a year since the last time you had formal education. And by that I only mean covering A-level standard (or equivalent) to whatever your course is going to be.

Edit: Do your preparation for fun, if you must, not so you can ace your first test. Because that won't help at all.
Posted from TSR Mobile
i might learn a bit of further maths because i'm doing physics and it might be useful to be familiar with it. they do teach it in first year but i'd like a headstart :P
Original post by LibertyMan
>studying for first year
>not tripping all balls and angels from june till october in Ibiza
>mfw

In all seriousness, the only benefit studying ahead will give you is (perhaps) high test scores in uni, which will impress professors etc and make them like you, but don't over-exert yourself... better start with a fresh mind...

Meme arrows outside of 4chan. Really?
Original post by callum_law
Meme arrows outside of 4chan. Really?

What can I say, meme arrows are actually some of the most useful form of punctuation I know. They are easily found on the keyboard (unlike bullet points) and they help you list information easily without using prose. Plus they give a very specific intonation to the text. After 4chan it was hard to stop using them when talking on any platform.
I'm reading as many of the books on my reading list as I can, around my full time job. That's it, there isn't really much more I can do!
Reply 13
I am but I took 3 years out before I decided to go. I want to make sure I remember how to revise properly etc
Yeah doing engineering. Pretty much covered all of first year maths and programming

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would you advise revising a-level maths if the uni course u want to study is econs? did it in nov and forgot all of it
Reply 16
Trying to find the reading list for my course is being difficult so I've spent time reading material online between building a new PC.
Yes I'm doing law so I've read a book on legal writing and am working my way through some introductory texts when I can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending