The Student Room Group

Can racist threads be stopped?

Why don't the mods stop racist threads?

Scroll to see replies

why don't racist threads stop mods?
Reply 2
One view (not one that I completely/necessarily agree with):

Noam Chomsky once said that believing in freedom of speech means believing in the right of those with views which you despise to speak. Even hate speech is allowed in America as the First Amendment is designed so that if somebody uses racist language, it is better if everyone else uses their own freedom of speech to shoot it down, rather than having the government have to step in.

If the government steps in, it'd count as interference with people's political freedom and 'government oppression', and would set a precedent for the government to have to regulate speech. This would be called censorship.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Criticizing a religion is not racist, the mods understand this.
Reply 4
YES NO MORE RACISM............because cookies come in different colors:u:
Reply 5
Original post by TheSeal

The OP never referred to religion.
Reply 6
Original post by TheSeal

Who said it was?
Reply 7
Original post by flibber
One view (not one that I completely agree with):

Noam Chomsky once said that believing in freedom of speech means believing in the right of those with views which you despise to speak. Even hate speech is allowed in America as the First Amendment is designed so that if somebody uses racist language, it is better if everyone else uses their own freedom of speech to shoot it down, rather than having the government have to step in.

If the government steps in, it'd count as interference with people's political freedom and 'government oppression', and would set a precedent for the government to have to regulate speech.

I agree with this so where are the people who can stop racist posters?
Reply 8
Original post by flibber
The OP never referred to religion.

Original post by Olie
Who said it was?

Probs mean it
YESSSSS!!!! am fed up of it!!!
Reply 10
Original post by maggie43
YESSSSS!!!! am fed up of it!!!

It's ruining TSR.
Original post by Paladian
I agree with this so where are the people who can stop racist posters?

People like you and me can expose the flawed logic behind racism. If you count this thread as racist, then there were plenty of people who opposed the OP:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=57513521&highlight=

I don't actually think this counted as racist though- the OP did open up an interesting debate.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Why has this been moved to some obscure corner of TSR?

Since this is a question/suggestion about the TSR website itself.

Hey! Are there any particular threads that this concerns?

TSR doesn't allow racism but, as said above, there is a difference between debating race/religion and being out-right racist. Section Moderators (now TSR Support Team) used to have access to reports and so any racist threads were brought to attention quickly. Now reports are dealt with by the Community Team (CT) who work office hours. Therefore less of the racist threads are seen and removed currently, not because we accept them, but because the time taken to sort them is currently longer. The moderation team is very diverse in cultural backgrounds, so we're definitely not doing this 'on purpose'.

So yeah, we're not condoning them, far from it, it's just more difficult to deal with them quickly at the moment - for now it's a case of reporting them and waiting :redface:

Because this is the feedback section. If you wish to talk to the CT, you can post in AtCT :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Because the mods are of the certain race that claim racism doesn't exist anymore. They simply do not understand, and that needs to be changed.

A) We can't stop them all, not without having to approve every new thread individually which just isn't feasible. If someone wants to make a racist thread and they aren't a brand new member of the site, it will be posted and remain on TSR for at least a short period of time.
B) Responding to reports is no longer handled by the moderators and is now the responsibility of the Community Team. Mods can still remove threads that we find ourselves that are against the rules, but reports from members constituted a large percentage of how we discovered these threads in such a fast moving forum and that is no longer accessible to us, and is now handled by a smaller number of people.

There's also the issue of what qualifies as valid discussion and what qualifies as overtly offensive or, in this case, racist. A lot of the time it will be cut and dry, but a lot of the time it may simply be a sensitive subject that may be interpreted differently by different people while still remaining within TSR's rules.
Reply 17
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Hey! Are there any particular threads that this concerns?

TSR doesn't allow racism but, as said above, there is a difference between debating race/religion and being out-right racist. Section Moderators (now TSR Support Team) used to have access to reports and so any racist threads were brought to attention quickly. Now reports are dealt with by the Community Team (CT) who work office hours. Therefore less of the racist threads are seen and removed currently, not because we accept them, but because the time taken to sort them is currently longer. The moderation team is very diverse in cultural backgrounds, so we're definitely not doing this 'on purpose'.

So yeah, we're not condoning them, far from it, it's just more difficult to deal with them quickly at the moment - for now it's a case of reporting them and waiting :redface:

I find loads of threads on here insulting to ones race I think a lot of it alludes to racism and then it explodes post for post getting worse as the day goes on. For example that N**** thread I find the word insulting and it tries to cover itself with innocence knowing full well it will soon be filled with prejudice.
Original post by Ndella
Because the mods are of the certain race that claim racism doesn't exist anymore. They simply do not understand, and that needs to be changed.

What do you mean by this? On the moderation team we have people from lots of different cultures, who obviously do not welcome racism :tongue:
Original post by Ndella

There are mods from several different races spread across most sections, to my knowledge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending