The Student Room Group

Taking my dog to uni

I have a guide dog that I'll be bringing with me when I start uni this september. I'm really strict with her, it's important so that she maintains the ability to work. So I measure out her food every morning and night, she doesn't get fed any human food, I keep up obedience training etc.

But my issue is I'll be living in halls and she won't be in harness all the time. For example if I go into the kitchen to cook I don't need her to be working, so I'd just have her on a lead instead. I want people to understand that even though she's not in harness they still have to respect rules, because ultimately it can impact on my personal safety when I'm actually working her if they don't.

But I don't want to offend people by being that person who is always bitching at them to stop touching my dog.

What ways would you suggest handling this? Both initially when I meet the people I'm living with and in the future if things slip. I want to come across as friendly but I don't have the time to deal with people ignoring what I say in regards to the dog and will tell people pretty bluntly if they keep doing it when I've asked not to. It's really important but like I said I don't want to seem really bitchy.
I'm presuming that you have told the university about your dog? A university mentor or someone might tell your hall about your dog and the don'ts with the dog. Otherwise, make it clear in the first day what your dog is there for it and that people shouldn't distrcat the dog.
Reply 2
Yeah, they know I will be bringing a dog to halls.
To be honest, if it's a guide dog then most people understand and respect that a lot of the time they're working and can't be played with like normal dogs.

Just have a system so they know what is and isn't appropriate and communicate it clearly.
I'd think a dog in halls would be unusual enough to make people stop and think about what they're doing, If it'd be possible for your dog to wear it's harness even if you just wanted to use the lead, that might give a strong enough of a signal for people to leave it alone.
P.S. If you do find there's a problem you could get a reflective collar with a large medallion that says 'don't feed me' or whatever... anyone who doesn't respect that can't complain about getting shouted at IMO.
You just have to be clear with people from the start. I'm sure most will want to be as respectful and helpful as possible.

If you don't mind me asking, why don't you want your dog to be petted when she's out of harness and not working?
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm curious, does your dog ever get to just be a dog running around and having fun? I'm fully in support of assistance dogs but I worry that there's no time for them to have fun.
Dude, ultimate line at the club would be, "I have a dog, wanna come back to my place?"
Reply 9
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I'm curious, does your dog ever get to just be a dog running around and having fun? I'm fully in support of assistance dogs but I worry that there's no time for them to have fun.

Definitely, when we are at home she is off the lead and harness, so my family play with her like they would any other dog. They still can't feed her and things, but play is fine. Also once a week I take her to a field or the woods or something and let her off the lead to play.
Reply 10
Original post by Carpe Vinum
You just have to be clear with people from the start. I'm sure most will want to be as respectful and helpful as possible.

If you don't mind me asking, why don't you want your dog to be petted when she's out of harness and not working?

I don't mind when people ask, if i'm in a position where it's fine I'll say it is. But for example if I was carrying a plate or food or something and just had her lead looped round my elbow so she didn't wander off I wouldn't want people to touch her. Mainly because she would be out of harness and could get excited and pull on my arm, and if I'm carrying things I don't want to drop it.

It's more ensuring that people ask, because most of the time I will say yes when she's just on a lead, but if I say no there is a reason, so it's good to check.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sounds like a tricky situation. Since it's a question of your personal safety though, I think you'll just have to make things very clear to your flatmates, even if it does make you appear a bit harsh. I'd make up a simplified list of rules to stick in the kitchen, and I think the idea about getting a university mentor or someone along those lines to have an informal chat with the group could work well.

Apart from that, I think you're just going to have to wait and see what kind of flatmates you get. Halls is very much a lucky dip in terms of flatmates, especially when you're living with mainly first years (if you do get a bad lot of people, and decide to move, try looking into the postgrad halls - they have a much more 'restrained' idea of fun generally :tongue:).

All the best, hope things work out for you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest