The Student Room Group

Would it be dumb to a Biology A level if I'm going to do an English Degree?

I just wanted to know if Biology would be relevant or completely random with English Lit, Spanish, and History, with Biology now instead of RE or Sociology. I'm not sure anymore, and frankly I'm disheartened, as several science teachers have said I'm better of doing Applied Science Btec, when what I'm specifically interested in doing is Biology. I can do Biology if I get at least a B in Additional Science, which I'm expecting as it is. Honestly, I just want to know if the Science teachers are right, because I know my passion for Science will never go away, and not doing Biology A level will just make it worse.

Oh, and Biology A level would be relevant to all the Sci Fi stories I'm writing/going to write. So scientific knowledge is necessary. I don't know any other way.
You have to follow your passion. :smile:
Original post by MA1999ms
I just wanted to know if Biology would be relevant or completely random with English Lit, Spanish, and History, with Biology now instead of RE or Sociology. I'm not sure anymore, and frankly I'm disheartened, as several science teachers have said I'm better of doing Applied Science Btec, when what I'm specifically interested in doing is Biology. I can do Biology if I get at least a B in Additional Science, which I'm expecting as it is. Honestly, I just want to know if the Science teachers are right, because I know my passion for Science will never go away, and not doing Biology A level will just make it worse.

Oh, and Biology A level would be relevant to all the Sci Fi stories I'm writing/going to write. So scientific knowledge is necessary. I don't know any other way.

I'd say go ahead! It might be nice to have a break from essays and so on! Biology is a very enjoyable subject and I'd definitely recommend doing it. :h: you'd have yourself a very strong set of A levels. I took A level Biology alongside History and English Literature at A2 and loved my combination.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did geography at A level even though I'm studying maths now 😋

I guess as long as you think you'd be capable of doing it and would enjoy it, it doesn't matter that much really!
Biology will still help with English as you may have to do coursework projects with a lot of extended writing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not gonna lie, Mix and match is the least thing you want in A-level, your uni interviewers will find it bizarre and it's a complete waste of time if you apply for a language course. The likelihood is your literature interviewers wont even care about biology and not going to include it into your offer, and biology alone is too little to apply for any science related courses. If you just like biology for "fun" then I recommend reading wiki articles and related books, much more interesting than A-level syllabus. I just can't see much relevance between biology and English, Spanish,history, definitely hasn't seen any novelist who did biology, and I do not think you need to have biology degree to write a bio sci-fi.

The thing I don't get is if you love bio so much why not a bio related courses? Chem and maths helps bio a lot.

Not saying bio is completely useless for English, but R.E is a much better and relevant option than bio.
Typically, as long as you have two relevant A-levels your third subject doesn't matter too much. I applied to science courses with Media A2 and still got offers.
Original post by MA1999ms

If you really enjoy it and are good at it, then why not? :h:

Quick Reply

Latest