The Student Room Group

Which PC for CS student?

Hi guys, I am planning to buy a new laptop mainly for university, I will be taking Computer Science so I might need some mid-high performance laptop for heavy lifting, I am thinking of going for a Mac Pro, though I am having a bit of a doubt whether I can justify the price for a roughly mid ranged spec laptop when I could maybe get a slightly more powerful hardware on another platform for the same or even less price.

I do like the build quality and UI of Macs, and I noticed how easy it is to install and remove software applications on them (a simple drag and drop). but they are just too damn expensive. I may however be able to go for the 13-inch i5 but I'm probably going to be broke after (maybe it's ok as long as it's worth it). I have never owned a Mac Computer before though I have fiddled on my sister's mac pro for number of times and it is very Linux like environment which is very nice.

I have a very mixed feelings about this, It will be my computer for the next three or four years on university, so I want to know your thoughts on this this.

Also if you own a Mac Pro, can you dual/multi-boot with other Operating Systems primarily with Linux and Windows without using any VMs?

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lnux
Hi guys, I am planning to buy a new laptop mainly for university, I will be taking Computer Science so I might need some mid-high performance laptop for heavy lifting, I am thinking of going for a Mac Pro, though I am having a bit of a doubt whether I can justify the price for a roughly mid ranged spec laptop when I could maybe get a slightly more powerful hardware on another platform for the same or even less price.

I do like the build quality and UI of Macs, and I noticed how easy it is to install and remove software applications on them (a simple drag and drop). but they are just too damn expensive. I may however be able to go for the 13-inch i5 but I'm probably going to be broke after (maybe it's ok as long as it's worth it). I have never owned a Mac Computer before though I have fiddled on my sister's mac pro for number of times and it is very Linux like environment which is very nice.

I have a very mixed feelings about this, It will be my computer for the next three or four years on university, so I want to know your thoughts on this this.

Also if you own a Mac Pro, can you dual/multi-boot with other Operating Systems primarily with Linux and Windows without using any VMs?

Thanks

tbh macbook pro's are not worth the price, and if I were you I would look to get a lenovo thinkpad (t450s, x1), you would get more for the money rather than an i5 you could get an i7 and ssd and anyway most developer platforms (Visual Studio) only work on Windows.

btw on your 2nd question to install windows you would use bootcamp.
Original post by lnux

Thanks

You're thinking of getting a Macbook Pro and you're going to be doing a computer science degree? You're going to get so badly abused for that.

Seriously, it doesn't sound like you've got much money sloshing around, so going high end is a silly idea. Just get a decent middle of the road laptop with good build quality rather than amazing performance and then, if you like Linux-like environments, just install Linux on it.
Original post by lnux
Hi guys, I am planning to buy a new laptop mainly for university,...

I have a Macbook pro. However for the most of my life I've used a Windows PC, but I don't think I can go back to Windows. As you said OS X has a very beautiful and user friendly UI. And Macbooks are very good quality. Unfortunately, I was a bit stingy and didn't get the one with SSD, so now after two years, I feel like I have to format it every 6 months. Though that might be just me as apps and other files things tend to accumulate with me as I am unorganized.

Windows or Mac, just remember to only buy one with an SSD.
Original post by Mad Vlad
You're thinking of getting a Macbook Pro and you're going to be doing a computer science degree? You're going to get so badly abused for that.

Seriously, it doesn't sound like you've got much money sloshing around, so going high end is a silly idea. Just get a decent middle of the road laptop with good build quality rather than amazing performance and then, if you like Linux-like environments, just install Linux on it.

Agree with you on everything. Though what do you think about getting a laptop with SSD? I think it's a must !
Original post by gagafacea1
I have a Macbook pro. However for the most of my life I've used a Windows PC, but I don't think I can go back to Windows. As you said OS X has a very beautiful and user friendly UI. And Macbooks are very good quality. Unfortunately, I was a bit stingy and didn't get the one with SSD, so now after two years, I feel like I have to format it every 6 months. Though that might be just me as apps and other files things tend to accumulate with me as I am unorganized.

Windows or Mac, just remember to only buy one with an SSD.

I wouldn't call Yosemite "beautiful". There's still some very questionable UX issues with it, though the frosted glass effects are nice enough. It's not user friendly though, especially if you're a Windows power user. I've felt like a toothless hillbilly trying to get to grips with OS X after being a Windows user for the past 18 years. I find OS X and the whole Mac experience to be nowhere near as flawless and amazing as Macolytes make it out to be. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that it makes me downright miserable using it.

And you want to be careful... the Church of Jobs will hang you for letting on that your Mac experience hasn't been 110% perfect... :zomg:
Agree with you on everything. Though what do you think about getting a laptop with SSD? I think it's a must !

Yeah I agree. SSD's are just better. Thing is, on a budget, you might not be able to afford one, but I'd recommend getting an SSD over a faster processor or even more RAM, tbh. The performance improvement is just so tangible.
I wouldn't call Yosemite "beautiful". There's still some very questionable UX issues with it, though the frosted glass effects are nice enough. It's not user friendly though, especially if you're a Windows power user. I've felt like a toothless hillbilly trying to get to grips with OS X after being a Windows user for the past 18 years. I find OS X and the whole Mac experience to be nowhere near as flawless and amazing as Macolytes make it out to be. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that it makes me downright miserable using it.

And you want to be careful... the Church of Jobs will hang you for letting on that your Mac experience hasn't been 110% perfect... :zomg:

It's not user friendly Whatttttt? compared to windows 8 and 10? You are just a hater man, in what way is Mac OS X UI not beautiful, even if it isnt, its way better than Windows... I think you're talking about functionality of the OS. As a computer science student I will not use windows... Also if you use a mac you get the bonus of getting to learn Objective C or swift. You can also learn the unix command lines in an OS that actually works compared to linux which will screw up if you type the wrong command.
Original post by bigboateng
It's not user friendly Whatttttt? compared to windows 8 and 10? You are just a hater man, in what way is Mac OS X UI not beautiful, even if it isnt, its way better than Windows... I think you're talking about functionality of the OS. As a computer science student I will not use windows... Also if you use a mac you get the bonus of getting to learn Objective C or swift. You can also learn the unix command lines in an OS that actually works compared to linux which will screw up if you type the wrong command.

No, I'm not just a hater. I'm a daily user of OS X. I'm also a Windows 7 user - I can't stand Windows 8 and haven't played with 10 yet. My point is, OS X isn't "beautiful". It's nice, but it doesn't deserve such extravagant praise as being described as "beautiful". Don't presume that you think you know what I mean more than I do.

That's your choice, but a Mac user in a room of CS geeks... yeah, you're going to be the butt of a lot of jokes because you bought a designer handbag, rather than a practical tool.

I'm not a programmer, so I have no interest in languages supported. All I need is Perl and Python to do my work.

Regarding a "safer environment", Bash is Bash is Bash. You're executing the same commands regardless of the base OS, so I don't buy that.
Get a MAC if you can afford it. Apart from having such an awesome build quality, it's also a very very very user friendly unix system. So with people suggesting to get a laptop then installing Linux on it, thats all sketchy if you are going to have only one laptop. I myself I have a laptop with linux+windows 10, a gaming pc with windows 8 and buying a mac soon. One thing I love about macs is programming on it, the keyboard is so damn good + programming environments just look better on mac, the font type everything makes you wanna code on it. Definitely stay away from windows, Linux is good but it shouldn't be your primary OS. I don't even feel like a programmer when I use windows, so ugly... Also if you happen to need to use .NET then you can get a virtual machine or something. In fact all the 'new' programming languages such as Python, Ruby, Haskel were built using Macs and Linux hence runs even better, nuff said... and oh MAC's have a pretty damn long battery life compared to any windows machine out there. All of this is subjective, but in my opinion if you have the money get a mac

Definitely NOT perfect, but also definitely better than windows. The thing is after you get used to it, you get to see how faster (more convenient) it is. But then again that's just me.
In the end, the difference is not as big as people make it out to be, and I wouldn't mind it if for some reason I was forced to use a PC. Especially those beautiful Toshiba (Alienware) laptops, you KNOW they're good quality.

Edit: I thought Alienware were a Toshiba line, so yeah I meant Alienware not Toshiba.
(edited 8 years ago)
I hear you ...

That's your choice, but a Mac user in a room of CS geeks... yeah, you're going to be the butt of a lot of jokes because you bought a designer handbag, rather than a practical tool..

But this statement is wrong, I know a lot of CS students that own macbooks so I don't know how you will be the odd one out. The only disadvantage is that if you have a macbook and everyone else have windows and you have a problem, then you might not get as much help, but then again a lot of people have macs
No, I'm not just a hater. I'm a daily user of OS X. I'm also a Windows 7 user - I can't stand Windows 8 and haven't played with 10 yet. My point is, OS X isn't "beautiful". It's nice, but it doesn't deserve such extravagant praise as being described as "beautiful". Don't presume that you think you know what I mean more than I do.

That's your choice, but a Mac user in a room of CS geeks... yeah, you're going to be the butt of a lot of jokes because you bought a designer handbag, rather than a practical tool.

I'm not a programmer, so I have no interest in languages supported. All I need is Perl and Python to do my work.

Regarding a "safer environment", Bash is Bash is Bash. You're executing the same commands regardless of the base OS, so I don't buy that.

The only thing I can understand about Windows 8 being less desirable than Windows 7 is the UI.
Even then, there are lots of 3rd party shell services that change the ui similar to Windows 7.
I always read CS student as a Counter Strike student
Definitely NOT perfect, but also definitely better than windows. The thing is after you get used to it, you get to see how faster (more convenient) it is. But then again that's just me.
In the end, the difference is not as big as people make it out to be, and I wouldn't mind it if for some reason I was forced to use a PC. Especially those beautiful Toshiba (Alienware) laptops, you KNOW they're good quality.

Edit: I thought Alienware were a Toshiba line, so yeah I meant Alienware not Toshiba.

To be fair thats only because the OS of Mac's have been built and optimised around certain specs hence why they are smooth and why its so difficult to install it on anything else.

Alienware are good quality? :rofl: Their a joke and a rip off.
Definitely NOT perfect, but also definitely better than windows. The thing is after you get used to it, you get to see how faster (more convenient) it is. But then again that's just me. In the end, the difference is not as big as people make it out to be, and I wouldn't mind it if for some reason I was forced to use a PC. Especially those beautiful Toshiba (Alienware) laptops, you KNOW they're good quality.Edit: I thought Alienware were a Toshiba line, so yeah I meant Alienware not Toshiba.

They aren't better than Windows.
Windows isn't slow, that's just a myth.

Original post by Iqbal007
To be fair thats only because the OS of Mac's have been built and optimised around certain specs hence why they are smooth and why its so difficult to install it on anything else.

Alienware are good quality? :rofl: Their a joke and a rip off.

Alienware are good for quality, they're just too expensive for what you get.
Original post by Jared44
They aren't better than Windows.
Windows isn't slow, that's just a myth.

Alienware are good for quality, they're just too expensive for what you get.

Then we disagree then, I think Dell ruined it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending