The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
*Liana*
Oh and thanks psyche87 for letting me know that... though tbh I only want to get in to spy on people now... :ninja:

Argh just went past and still can't get in. :frown: Might try again later (I've seen my results on Camsis and heard it second hand from a number of people, but I think I sort of just need to see it on the class list. Which I can't at the moment! Hmmm...)
Reply 581
Do first years need a stethoscope?
Reply 582
keb
Do first years need a stethoscope?

No - see this page for stuff you will have to buy for preclinical (most of which you can only obtain once in Cambridge anyway).
Reply 583
Just wondering...is it worth checking for MVST 1B today at around 5? Last year they put up MVST 1A at 5 on the day before it was scheduled to be released
Reply 584
Vazzyb
Just wondering...is it worth checking for MVST 1B today at around 5? Last year they put up MVST 1A at 5 on the day before it was scheduled to be released

Well I don't remember ours coming out early last year, but equally my 1A results didn't come out early either... if you're in the vicinity it might be worth a look (and according to notice at Senate House, results aren't posted after 4.30pm).
Reply 585
*Liana*
Well I don't remember ours coming out early last year, but equally my 1A results didn't come out early either... if you're in the vicinity it might be worth a look (and according to notice at Senate House, results aren't posted after 4.30pm).

ahh ok i was going by visesh's post last year at 5:00 saying the MVST results came out 10 mins ago - oh well.
I dont know why im so bothered tbh, my hopes of a first went away when they didnt ask a question about Influenza in the SO paper ... had to write an essay from 0 revision lol :frown:
Reply 586
Vazzyb
ahh ok i was going by visesh's post last year at 5:00 saying the MVST results came out 10 mins ago - oh well.
I dont know why im so bothered tbh, my hopes of a first went away when they didnt ask a question about Influenza in the SO paper ... had to write an essay from 0 revision lol :frown:

Well maybe they did, but I only checked on CamSIS... last year though it seems I made a post saying they took the list down temporarily, so perhaps they did post it up early but I didn't notice cos they took it down...
Reply 587
ahh camsis updated a while ago, shud hopefully be doing MoD next year :smile:

No HR pass / fail yet though!
Reply 588
HR is officialy the most incompetent course ever. Their pass/fail list isn't up inspite of the overall class list being up!

lol me myself and I have taken over the medics! thread
Reply 589
VazzyB
HR is officialy the most incompetent course ever. Their pass/fail list isn't up inspite of the overall class list being up!

lol me myself and I have taken over the medics! thread

Late post, but it was up a while ago on the PDN building. Unfortunately for me.
I have always had a passion for science and I was thinking of putting that into practice by becoming a neurological surgeon and doing research on the side. It has also always been my dream to attend Cambridge.

As an international student (from Canada), how difficult would it be to get accepted into Cambridge med? Do they have a premed program or how does it work there?
Reply 591
Here a medicine course is 6 years long and that is it, there is no pre-med/med division. There is however a pre-clinical/clinical division where in between you might need to transfer to another medical school (in London or Oxford). This division is split up 3 years and 3 years.
first post on this thread, a bit overdue.

Unconditional (deferred) offer for med. Emmanuel college.

Anyone from Emma (or all medics) any tips on how to manage the (supposedly) legendarily epic workload?
Reply 593
Original post by &#20026

Anyone from Emma (or all medics) any tips on how to manage the (supposedly) legendarily epic workload?

To be honest, I'm not sure what the best advice to give is. I have absolutely loved my time at Cambridge and have got decent (but not amazing) grades throughout. I can't say I was ever a model student - I got stuff done generally on time but I certainly didn't spend every waking hour working, and probably spent more than my DoS would approve of rowing/drinking etc.

I can't give advice about how to study, but what I will say is don't be afraid of it. Most of you WILL get through, and although exam term is hellish, you can manage even if you did slack off a bit for the first few terms (I even got glandular fever in Lent term of first year and survived exams etc). There will be stuff you don't understand, and it will be harder work than school (unless you're one of those crazies that revises 10 hours a day for a-levels) but there's ample opportunity to have fun, make friends, go out etc. Take advantage of them!
Helenia
Most of you WILL get through, and although exam term is hellish

MOST?!? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh nuts. That makes me worry.

thanks for the advice though

edit: 10hr a day for A-levels? people do that?
Reply 595
Original post by &#20026
MOST?!? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh nuts. That makes me worry.

thanks for the advice though

edit: 10hr a day for A-levels? people do that?

TSR is full of neurotics. There are probably people on here that do. There are certainly people in Cambridge who spend that long in the library in exam term. I am not one of them.

As for getting through, it would be rather ridiculous if they just let everyone pass everything once they'd got in! There are a few particularly nasty exams along the way which catch people out (in particular 1A anatomy, 1B path and pharm and 5th year path, off the top of my head) but there ARE resits, and if you are dedicated and engage with the work you will get through them. Of course it's scary, especially as you've probably never failed an exam in your life before now (I even passed my driving test first time, miraculously!) but you will cope.
Reply 596
Original post by &#20026

Its not really that hard if you're smart.
Vazzyb
Its not really that hard if you're smart.

How smart is smart at Cambridge though? Did you get a first? Does it matter what college your at, or do some colleges attract better students, because some colleges always seem to do better? Cheers
Reply 598
ben_stretch
How smart is smart at Cambridge though? Did you get a first? Does it matter what college your at, or do some colleges attract better students, because some colleges always seem to do better? Cheers

Yeah some colleges do better. Its more to do with their ethos than how clever their students are. If you do a lot of work...things become much easier and you dont have to be that clever to get a first. If you're in a college where everyone is quite hard working then doing a lot of work becomes easier too. Its something like that.

There are, unfortunately, no simple correlates of GCSE/AS/A2 to Degree but in general, BMAT is important (thats why admissions tutors are so anal about it). Anyone who scored more than two 7s at Caius, in my year, got a first in at least one of the two years.

Students from Caius and Emma have done really well in my year for MVST 1A and 1B.

Emma got 9/21(43%) and then 8/21 (38%) firsts. Caius got 11/25 (44%) and then 9/25 (36%) firsts.

The year rate is 75/330 (23%) (first year) and 60/330 (18%) (second year).

In summary, they get twice as many as normal firsts as other colleges.
Vazzyb
Yeah some colleges do better. Its more to do with their ethos than how clever their students are. If you do a lot of work...things become much easier and you dont have to be that clever to get a first. If you're in a college where everyone is quite hard working then doing a lot of work becomes easier too. Its something like that.

There are, unfortunately, no simple correlates of GCSE/AS/A2 to Degree but in general, BMAT is important (thats why admissions tutors are so anal about it). Anyone who scored more than two 7s at Caius, in my year, got a first in at least one of the two years.

Students from Caius and Emma have done really well in my year for MVST 1A and 1B.

Emma got 9/21(43%) and then 8/21 (38%) firsts. Caius got 11/25 (44%) and then 9/25 (36%) firsts.

The year rate is 75/330 (23%) (first year) and 60/330 (18%) (second year).

In summary, they get twice as many as normal firsts as other colleges.

Thanks thats a great post, I read something about some of the exams being similar in style to the BMAT (i.e time pressure and multiple choice) is that true? I saw a document showing the correlation between BMAT and degree classification and it was something like once you get over 7 in the BMAT 1 and 2 the probability of a first is about 0.4.
So when you say work ethos, are you pushed harder? Is there better quality of teaching/support or is it pretty similar between colleges?
One last question :smile: would you say the complexity (i.e how difficult concepts are to understand) of the course is less of a problem than the size of the workload? I mean, is it better to work hard than be really really smart. Thank you very much, you obviously know quite a lot about this sort of thing, are you staying at Cambridge for clinical?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending