The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

You go to WBGS? I used to go there, good luck dude. Say hello to Dunsby and call her 'BMAT lady' from this point onwards.
Reply 781
Palladium
Well if you didn't study at Cambridge, why are you replying to this? :s-smilie:

Because I know 7 people who do.
5 on Biotech.
1 on Law.
1 on Mathematics.

They all knew what to do. Simple really.
Otherwise, I wouldn't have even bothered.
Do Chemistry, Biology and 2 other subjects(though all sciences is recommended for some colleges)
Get high UMS in your AS-levels in 4 subjects.
Do well in your BMAT exam.
Make sure you have relevant work experience.
Be knowledgeable in a broad range of science, past your syllabus and to a good depth.
Perform well at interview.
Also write a good PS relevant to medicine
Reply 783
Vikaman
Because I know 7 people who do.
5 on Biotech.
1 on Law.
1 on Mathematics.

They all knew what to do. Simple really.
Otherwise, I wouldn't have even bothered.

0 in medicine then...
Diagnose your interviewer with some rare obscure disease, and then due to the Geller Effect save their life with or without dangerous heart surgery....

:biggrin:
Reply 785
OP, almost all the info you could ever need at this stage is on the website,see:
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/
Reply 786
It could be lupus
Do Chemistry, Biology and 2 other subjects(though all sciences is recommended for some colleges)
Get high UMS in your AS-levels in 4 subjects.
Do well in your BMAT exam.
Make sure you have relevant work experience.
Be knowledgeable in a broad range of science, past your syllabus and to a good depth.
Perform well at interview.
Also write a good PS relevant to medicine

Is it true about getting 275/300 UMS in your AS level results to get into Cantab?
Reply 787
Stef49
Have you got plenty of A* Palladium ? OMG there are so many wannabe medics at my school and like 5 have lied saying they have got over 10 A* sickening! :O

They've lied on their UCAS forms? They've actually put they have 10A*'s when they haven't? They're ****** (and rightly so, that's absolutely disgusting) :toofunny:
Reply 788
dw not on their ucas, but in general conversation they lie :/ this one girl who sucked up to all the teachers told us she had achieved 10 A* when in reality she got mostly As
Palladium
Is it true about getting 275/300 UMS in your AS level results to get into Cantab?

That's what was recommended at a talk I went to, and that's for for all subjects at Cambridge. However I am sure if one of your AS levels were lower it wouldn't rule you out. Just make sure its not really low, and not chemistry
Reply 790
spacepirate-James
Diagnose your interviewer with some rare obscure disease, and then due to the Geller Effect save their life with or without dangerous heart surgery....

:biggrin:

As much as you're joking, someone I know smacked his head on the door-frame on his way into the interview room (for medicine) :rofl: The interviewers asked him how he'd assess and treat an injury like he'd just given himself, he answered correctly and got an offer :p:

Moral of the story - purposely hit your head on your way into the interview, then correctly describe the way to treat head injuries :yep:
Surely (If) they get accepted, and the university asks for certificates. They may have a bit of a problem!

Especially at places like B'ham, where they have a set number of A*'s which they ask for..
Alex D
As much as you're joking, someone I know smacked his head on the door-frame on his way into the interview room (for medicine) :rofl: The interviewers asked him how he'd assess and treat an injury like he'd just given himself, he answered correctly and got an offer :p:

Moral of the story - purposely hit your head on your way into the interview, then correctly describe the way to treat head injuries :yep:

:ninja: essence of crushed deer bones :ninja:

:confused:

NB: ice packs and reduce swelling and rest or something like that? check for concussion if it was a big bump? dizziness, pupil dilation? :ninja: pulling out 5 series of House episodes from his mind :ninja:
Reply 793
spacepirate-James
:ninja: essence of crushed deer bones :ninja:

:confused:

NB: ice packs and reduce swelling and rest or something like that? check for concussion if it was a big bump? dizziness, pupil dilation? :ninja: pulling out 5 series of House episodes from his mind :ninja:

Watch for unconsciousness, lasting drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, painful headaches etc. CT scan, if anything's found e.g. a blood clot, get in the neurosurgeons :biggrin:

EDIT: I'm not actually a med student (6 days :party:) so the above is tongue in cheek :p: Never actually asked him what he said.
Alex D
Watch for unconsciousness, lasting drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, painful headaches etc. CT scan, if anything's found e.g. a blood clot, get in the neurosurgeons :biggrin:

:eek: seriously, just for a bang on the head?

i think i'll just try to get fat, have a heart attack and then talk about the causes of atherosclerosis... :ninja:
Roughly:

7A*s, AAA (90%+), 22+BMAT, do well in the interview.
Jonty99
I emailed them about this a while back, and they said they didn't reject applicants pre-interview on the basis of the BMAT scores. Were they incorrect in stating this? Cos I think you're right, I've heard people mention that before.

I'm not sure exactly it's just something I read around TSR.
Stef49
Bezzler unis don't just want grades, ever heard of supercurricular activities? Oxbridge love it

No, no, no, a thousand times no. For medicine, relevant work experience is good, but otherwise the emphasis is entirely on your grades, BMAT score and interview.
Reply 798
spacepirate-James
:eek: seriously, just for a bang on the head?

i think i'll just try to get fat, have a heart attack and then talk about the causes of atherosclerosis... :ninja:

Like I said, it depends how bad it is :wink: If someone has a bang on the head and loses consciousness they'd need the hospital. Then according to the doctor's decisions, they made need a scan to rule out blood clots.

Some people (especially old folk where the arteries are more 'worn') have the slightest bump on the head and get an epidural haematoma. Thick skulls like me (who decide to go and stop some trouble at the prom, runs and jumps down a banking and doesn't see the wire fence at the top, catches my foot and I fall 4 feet onto the side of my head :o:) do stuff like I just mentioned and are fine :p: Usually it's the side of the head in front of the ear where the bone is thinnest and veins and arteries are more easily torn :smile:
Reply 799
Stef49
dw not on their ucas, but in general conversation they lie :/ this one girl who sucked up to all the teachers told us she had achieved 10 A* when in reality she got mostly As

Oh right :smile: Shame really, it'd serve them right to get 4 rejections. I hate people who are so insecure about their (usually good) grades, so they lie and try to make everyone else feel worried about their application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending