The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Thanks anyway. I have college exams in january and will greatly appreciate if anyone can help me get them.
Can anyone give any more information on the practical side of the course. Is it difficult, how is it assessed etc?
t3h_y0u553f
Can anyone give any more information on the practical side of the course. Is it difficult, how is it assessed etc?

What do you mean by the practical side of the course? Are you talking about the practicals you have during your first 3 years (i.e. histology, experimental physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology, neurobiology etc).

Or are you talking about the clinical component of the course (i.e. 4th year - 6th year)?
werlop
What do you mean by the practical side of the course? Are you talking about the practicals you have during your first 3 years (i.e. histology, experimental physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology, neurobiology etc).

Or are you talking about the clinical component of the course (i.e. 4th year - 6th year)?

The former, because at the moment I am a bit of a flop when it comes to practicals especially under time pressure! :o:
t3h_y0u553f
The former, because at the moment I am a bit of a flop when it comes to practicals especially under time pressure! :o:

Oh, the "practical exams" are really theory papers based upon practicals you do throughout the year - you don't have to do any practical experiments.

Anatomy has a "steeplechase" where you go round a room with various prosections with labels in and you have questions based upon that.

Histology has a practical exam where you have to look at prints of slides, rather than using a microscope IIRC.

They are generally not too much to worry about.
werlop
Oh, the "practical exams" are really theory papers based upon practicals you do throughout the year - you don't have to do any practical experiments.

Anatomy has a "steeplechase" where you go round a room with various prosections with labels in and you have questions based upon that.

Histology has a practical exam where you have to look at prints of slides, rather than using a microscope IIRC.

They are generally not too much to worry about.

Oh that's good, so you are never assessed on writing up a lab report- like an evaluation of the practical itself like error analysis you do at school.

What about the experiments themselves are they difficult/assessed.
t3h_y0u553f
Oh that's good, so you are never assessed on writing up a lab report- like an evaluation of the practical itself like error analysis you do at school.

What about the experiments themselves are they difficult/assessed.

For first year experimental physiology you have to fill in some short answer questions about the experiments as you go throughout the year, but then submit all of that in one go at the end. It's pretty simple stuff to be honest.

Experiments are not really very difficult, and usually quite fun, i.e., what happens if you put a blood pressure cuff round your arm for 40 minutes - 1B neuroscience - is a favourite :p:

Experiments are definitely not something to worry about :smile:
werlop
For first year experimental physiology you have to fill in some short answer questions about the experiments as you go throughout the year, but then submit all of that in one go at the end. It's pretty simple stuff to be honest.

Experiments are not really very difficult, and usually quite fun, i.e., what happens if you put a blood pressure cuff round your arm for 40 minutes - 1B neuroscience - is a favourite :p:

Thanks. A bit dangerous, no?
t3h_y0u553f
Thanks. A bit dangerous, no?

Nah, not especially :p:
Reply 989
werlop

I think this undoubtedly is everyone's favourite- even if i did have to rip the cuff off after 30mins because it became agonisingly painful (must have had it a little loose) but i'll never forget the site of my fingers moving of their own accord as the blood supply came back :smile:

tbh i agree with werlop experiments in physiology etc. are nothing to worry about, and are often exactly the type of thing you wished you could do in school (applying electric shocks to nerves etc) and safe and fun at the same time
I did my O levels in 2008 in one year got AAAABBBBBC
I didn't do anything for an year.
I did my AS this jan?
SHould I do my A2 this june or can I do it in next Jan
I want to do medicine at cambridge?
I know its not clear sorry
any advise~
I did my AS this jan
I'am planning to apply for medicine at cambridge this year that is for the year 2011.
I'm currently doing bio chem phy and maths should I do A2 this june or doit later which is better?
my problem is I did my O levels in june 2008 and got only AAAABBBBBC
and then took gap year so i have wasted one yearwhat should I do please help???
O levels? Surely you mean GCSE's??
Its up to you - however be aware that you will need atleast A*AA at A2, so its whatever u think you can manage
Dr.Black Knight
I did my AS this jan
I'am planning to apply for medicine at cambridge this year that is for the year 2011.
I'm currently doing bio chem phy and maths should I do A2 this june or doit later which is better?
my problem is I did my O levels in june 2008 and got only AAAABBBBBC
and then took gap year so i have wasted one yearwhat should I do please help???

I keep moving your threads to the Medicine thread. So please stop starting loads of threads in the main forum.
FireAndIce
O levels? Surely you mean GCSE's??
Its up to you - however be aware that you will need atleast A*AA at A2, so its whatever u think you can manage

Yeah I mean gcse but do I have any advantage if I finish my A2 this and then apply or apply with AS and some A2 uits?
which would cambridge prefer?
Reply 995
E-mail them and ask. Though I must point out that your language here is not 100% clear so you'd be advised to spend a little more time composing your e-mail to them so that it makes sense.
I'd like to know if there are any colleges that interview an unusually large amount of applicants, and place more emphasis on the interview?

Thank you :smile:
-42-
Heya mate,

First of all - Chin up. You are not a failure and you are probably just as good or better than a lot of medical applicants with offers.

Second of all - did you really want to do Medicine? The likely answer is yes, but the rejections will be making you doubt yourself. However I reckon you probably did really want to do it so lets not give up on that dream.

Thirdly - Rejections aside, you are in a quality position for next years applications for a number of reasons -

1) You can get some more work experience or preferably even a medically related job like a HCA (this is what I did on my gap year). This gives you so much to talk about at interview and just so much experience with patients and talking to other healthcare professionals. It gives you a great appreciation of what a hospital will be like to work in.

2) You have more time to research uni choices, write your personal statement, prepare for interviews etc.

3) You have the time to earn money for uni and to go abroad or do something crazy if you'd like.

4) Any offers you get would be unconditional

5) You get to ask for feedback on your application so you can avoid making any mistakes/improving on weaker areas of your application this time round.

6) Very few things show admissions tutors grit and determination for a career than re-applying after 4 straight rejections.

If I were you I'd first get straight onto trying to get a HCA job ASAP, you may not start until September, but seriously - start apply for jobs straight away because if your trust is anything like my local one it'll take a lot of time for the Human Resources department to plough through things!

Secondly, the obvious one - knuckle down and get good UMS grades, especially if you want to apply to Cambridge second time round. Definitely make sure you get all A's so you have your choice of every Medical School to apply to.

Thirdly, but most importantly - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not call yourself a failure. I've been through exactly the same thing and it does knock the stuffing out of you. I applied to Oxford, St. Andrews, Bristol and Edinburgh first time round and I have to say I was quietly confident, I guess I wasn't really used to not succeeding at stuff, I had -

10A*'s, 3A's at GCSE, all A's at AS level (UMS around 90%), a good UKCAT (670 I think) and BMAT (21.2)

I got two interviews and four straight rejections.

However I refused to believe that I was inferior - it's easy to but please don't, for your sake, I'm sure you are better than that. It just so happens we are applying for one of the most competitive subjects there is. I'm not saying I should've got a place last year, I have faith in the admissions tutors that there were better people but the gap year I'm on at the moment has given me the advantages (that I listed above) that I think have given me better success this year.

I got my 4A's at A-level, did better in my UKCAT and BMAT, and got 3 offers and an interview (which I didn't go to!), including the Cambridge offer which I've taken.

I really can't encourage you enough to try to get back into gear, get your chin up and sieze the opportunity of this gap year. I didn't plan to take mine but I'm actually so glad I've done it now. The HCA'ing will just be so useful to me as a med student and beyond, and plus I get the chance to bugger off to China for 4 months (in less than 60 hours I might add, argh!).

Hang in there buddy, it does get better after the initial low, I promise you, and it can be done.

When Winston Churchill was invited to take a school assembly after WWII he got up onto the stage and all he said before sitting down again was this,

"Never, ever, ever, ever give up".

Cheers,

--Dave

This really cheered me up too as I'm in the same situation as you were :smile: Thank you. And have loads of fun in CHina!!!
Hey this might be a bit of a long shot but my friend in New Zealand is studying at Otago University and apparently all health sciences students must complete a 1 year base course regardless of whether they want to do dentistry, physiotherapy, or medicine & surgery.

Because it is separate from the main health sciences degrees you could complete it and go back to the UK or continue on in New Zealand. Just an idea you might want to consider; New Zealand also has far less stringent grade requirements as we haven't reached the levels of student overcrowding that the UK has:woo:.

Here's the link - http://www.otago.ac.nz/courses/healthsci_firstyear.html (It might be censored as I don't know how many posts are needed to link websites, so PM if you can't see it)
lola1993
I'd like to know if there are any colleges that interview an unusually large amount of applicants, and place more emphasis on the interview?

Thank you :smile:

In terms of raw numbers, I'd guess that Caius interviews the most applicants, simply as it has the most applicants (and the largest places quota). In terms of proportion, they all interview a similarly large % of applicants.

No-one except an admissions tutor could tell you what emphasis each college places on various parts of the application process. There are rumours as to which colleges place a lot of emphasis on the BMAT etc. but they're unconfirmed speculation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending